SAU Community

Differences Between Spring Types/rates?

Hi, I'm up in Cairns also and the roads can be really rough. I've got D2 racing suspension on my R33 GTR, had Fulcrum try and soften them up, they said the front springs were under 800lb, what kg/mm ratio is that likely to be- I think they said Tein super streets are around 250lb- I know they're hard that's for sure. If I try and soften them much more I think I'll bounce off a bad corner- I drive up and down a mountain range each day, only way I can justify having such hard springs still :)

1 kg/mm = 54lbs/inch.

So an 800lb/in spring is near on 15kg/mm.

Which is an absurdly high spring rate.

1 kg/mm = 54lbs/inch.

So an 800lb/in spring is near on 15kg/mm.

Which is an absurdly high spring rate.

Thanks for that. Bought it on the Gold Coast, seems the guy was building it up to be a bit of a monster, ridiculous clutch too (1300 kg brass button), not sure what he was planning on doing with it, but he wanted 500+hp, go it on 400hp now because he didn't do internals.

" I drive up and down a mountain range each day," lol, go the Kuranda hey

I would still like to do this, but been paying attention to the bumps more now since I been thinking about it, and man these roads really are pretty rough in alot of places. Need to stiffen it up though, have already scraped my new front mount a couple of times with the car pitching forward when going into some of the ridiculously angled driveways we have here.

" I drive up and down a mountain range each day," lol, go the Kuranda hey

I would still like to do this, but been paying attention to the bumps more now since I been thinking about it, and man these roads really are pretty rough in alot of places. Need to stiffen it up though, have already scraped my new front mount a couple of times with the car pitching forward when going into some of the ridiculously angled driveways we have here.

Yeah, from Kuranda, haven't been driving lately because I had a shoulder reconstruction, my coilovers are going to shake the sh#t out of my shoulder when I'm allowed to drive; as djr81 mentioned my spring rates are a bit over the top. I had to have my R33 raised a bit to cope with the curbs, couldn't even get into many servos! now it can be a bit bouncy in corners with bumps, haven't noticed any problems on braking though. I just can't bring myself to replace a working product, I've gotten used to them now.