SAU Community

Nitto Headgasket Failed What Should I Use

1. Surface prep of the two mated surfaces can not exceed 3 thou, or crush will not seal the layers of the multi-shim gasket.

2. Hylomar is your friend.

My feeling is that virtually every brand out there is probably pretty good, and that the majority of failures that occur with builds (that are not factory) are all either caused by bad machining or bad assembly technique. The best product in existance is doomed to fail if these two arent correct.

agree with that for sure. best gasket in the world will not seal a head or block surface that is not true and cannot defend against improper installation either. MLS gaskets are great at sealing in high cylinder pressures but hopeless at dealing with any kind of imperfections in the head. so if the surface is not prepped properly the best MLS gasket in the world is not going to seal nicely. that's no reason to throw out your MLS gaskets and go back to a standard composite type gasket. it's a reason to ensure your block and head surfaces are prepped right.

Man, how many times have I heard someone replacing a head gasket only for another failure!! Maybe the gasket was faulty but as so many above already stated, you really need to be sure of the cause if it's possble to track.

good luck

Sorry for the late reply, block was decked and head shaved, the head is off, the studs are arp. the only issue seems to be the gasket failing and letting water into the bore..

Man, how many times have I heard someone replacing a head gasket only for another failure!! Maybe the gasket was faulty but as so many above already stated, you really need to be sure of the cause if it's possble to track.

good luck

Edited by grygtr

I always use Hylomar regardless of gasket construction. Even re used cometic gaskets up to three times without issue on high boost apps.

OP, still very little info, hence I'm predicting an assembly fault.

Edited by Marlin

I notice the Nitto and the latest Cometic gasket have an in built O ring that gos with the larger bore 88mm. I think this compensates. I wonder if the O ring sealing really helps with head lifting high boost, or is a gimmick. I'd prefer Tomei at this stage.