SAU Community

R33 Defected For Exhaust Nsw (Advice Needed)

Hey guys, long story short i was being heavy footed in front of mr officer a few months ago, and he pulled me saying my car was too loud. I had a notice arrive in the mail saying to take it into the epa station to get the exhaust decibel tested and the car roadworthied of some description (bullshit)

Anyway, last week i had my dad take it to get tested and it failed on a few points. He failed it on a boost controller, pod filter and hi flow cat and cannon muffler. (It was also too loud at 101db instead of 90db) Dad thinks he said something about me having to replace the whole cat back system because it is too large. I dont have a problem putting my standard cat, boost tee and putting a standard airbox on, but i am hoping to just get away with replacing the cannon with a regular muffler. Does anyone know if their is a size that is legal that will pass?? As far as i remember, its an apexi 3" system with a cannon.

I only asked because i was trying to get in touch with the mechanic who did the test but couldnt get a hold of him

just a rear muffler probably won't get it down below 90db. best off finding a whole stock cat back system for sale second hand and bolting that on.

size generally isn't an issue unless it causes clearance issues

Thanks mate.. pretty sure thats what the bloke told my old man to do, i was just hoping i could spend the money on something i could keep on the car. Obviously im just gonna have to take the shit factory one off again.. Oh well, i will just keep it like my other exhaust parts just in case they want to defect me again!