SAU Community

Oh Performance

all i can find is 2nd hand motors for like 5k. id rather rebuild mind forged, bite the bullet and spend the extra and do it once and right.....

cbf getting another 2nd hand and then later on problems..... i think 13g will do it all....

You'd piss it in with 13k mate.

Forged rebuild with -7's should only cost you about 11k

slightly off topic but OH performance wouldnt happen to be located in Melbourne would it? i bought my GTR from a bloke called james and it ended up shitting itself a month later, but i cant remember the name of the joint i got if from

did u get a 32 gun metal grey for about 17ish? are u from broadmeadows and have been to chasers?

slightly off topic but OH performance wouldnt happen to be located in Melbourne would it? i bought my GTR from a bloke called james and it ended up shitting itself a month later, but i cant remember the name of the joint i got if from

Since we're on the subject on rebuilds. is it possible to do a full long motor ONLY standard refresh on r33 rb26 for 5k? no big power. nor only track sessions. just for daily commuting. cheers

Yes, providing everying is a-ok, rings, bearings, and say oil pump, new gaskets etc would come in just under 5k including labor and fitting etc.

If you need new pistons or re-bore etc it will will be more.

McIntyre Rd, Sunshine, if it shit itself then yes it most likely came from James lol

If you do go down the rebuild route make sure you find a highly qualified builder that will do everything themselves. Not someone who will pass it around to 3 or 4 places for each step as then if anything goes wrong (which is does all the time) you won't have any warranty as they will all blame each other.

Honestly I think you have less risk buying an unopened second hand motor than rebuilding one, so many horror stories where they go bang for one reason or another, seems like 1/4 seem to go pop from incorrect installation of some part and then everyone blames each other and the owner is out of pocket $10k

Yea 5k will easily get a standard rebuild especially if you get the engine out yourself (about 1/3rd of the work is out and back in).

Otherwise based on pricing +1 to 2nd hand, you'd get 2 for the price of a decent rebuild.

haha Yea Sunshine sounds like the place. it was nearly 4 years ago but im pretty sure thats the place..

It was a red 32 GTR and yea it was like 17 grand, i was living in albury at the time so got one from Melbourne... BAD DECISION THAT ONE

what did u end up doing man? rebuild or 2nd hand?

haha Yea Sunshine sounds like the place. it was nearly 4 years ago but im pretty sure thats the place..

It was a red 32 GTR and yea it was like 17 grand, i was living in albury at the time so got one from Melbourne... BAD DECISION THAT ONE

R.I.P to the fella at OH Performance.

Their workmenship wasn't the best sounds like the cars they sell were even worse. I took my 34 in ages ago to get a turbo installed. They didn't put any gaskets on the manifold, turbo, dump pipe. Didn't install the turbo oil lines properly. Oil everywhere. The weld quality was terrible with cracks causing leakage. Now I just do all the work myself. Can't trust half these performance mechanics unless you throw them twice the amount a job is worth and still you get shotty work and pay an arm and a leg. Took them 1 month to do a turbo install. I put my new GTX3076R in less then a couple of hours. Doesn't pay been lazy.

Best of luck with your r32 GTR hope it works out, probably best to go to a repuatable performance shop unless you know how to do the work yourself.

Edited by simons987

I had james put another engine in it actually, sold the car about a year later and that engine shit itself for the new owner as wel.... mistake after mistake :domokun:

anyway bought another GTR last year.. also wrecked that engine so i now have a rebuilt one goin in as soon as my turbo kit arives.....havent had alot of luck with GTR's haha

My recommendation is, (assuming you have the garage space) spend $350 on a heavy duty engine crane and $200 on a set of 1/2 inch drive sidchrome sockets. Another $50 on a good condition used engine stand. Another $200 on a torque wrench if you don't know anyone that has one.

Rip the motor out yourself.

Read the factory service manual on how to disassemble. Label every part you pull off in a ziploc bag and have them sitting in order of removal.

Pull down the block and take it to a workshop to get the bores measured. IF neccessary, get it machined oversize and order oversize pistons.

What you lack in experience you will make up for in terms of being s--tscared to do anything wrong - if you are putting it together yourself, you will be so worried about fsking something up you will check everything, like, 10 times before you put it back. ALso it's your car so you won't cut corners.

WOrkshops won't do this.

My 2c.

My recommendation is, (assuming you have the garage space) spend $350 on a heavy duty engine crane and $200 on a set of 1/2 inch drive sidchrome sockets. Another $50 on a good condition used engine stand. Another $200 on a torque wrench if you don't know anyone that has one.

Read the factory service manual on how to disassemble. Label every part you pull off in a ziploc bag and have them sitting in order of removal.

Pull down the block and take it to a workshop to get the bores measured. IF neccessary, get it machined oversize and order oversize pistons.

What you lack in experience you will make up for in terms of being s--tscared to do anything wrong - if you are putting it together yourself, you will be so worried about fsking something up you will check everything, like, 10 times before you put it back. ALso it's your car so you won't cut corners.

WOrkshops won't do this.

My 2c.

I mostly agree with this apart from one thing, get a 3/8th kinchrome socket set, i have never actually had a need for a half inch drive, was at a mates last weekend doing injectors and all he has is 1/2", so many times things would have been easier with my smaller 3/8th drive.

Also download the manual or buy one, shyte loads of detail in them and they show you how to pull everything apart, its a must for someone who has not done an engine tear down before!

WOrkshops won't do this.

My 2c.

customers wont pay for the time to do this ;) dont take me seriously Im just dicking around mate :)