SAU Community

Oil Cooler Setup With Thermostat

SargeRX8

Observe the below, detailed and to scale diagram of my intended oil cooler setup. I currently have an oil cooler setup so I don't want to hear anyone saying sell it and buy one with the thermostat.

Anyway this is my idea as below.

1 sandwich plate with built in thermostat for the oil cooler(Mocal branded)

1 sandwich plate for oil relocator

all the hosing and the bla bla parts.

Is this a good idea using a sandwich plate on a sandwich plate?

Ive also attached a second picture which shows the use of an inline oil thermostat which opens at 82C.

The first option is messy but saves about $100. This setup will cost me about $80

The second option is nice, neat and cost about $190.

I payed $200 for the oil cooler plus relocator kit so keeping it as cheap as possible would be great. Its a just jap oil cooler 10an fittings.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

post-68383-0-95405800-1304838903_thumb.png

post-68383-0-62624600-1304838909_thumb.png

I have seen Greddy thermostat sandwich plates going for $170 on ebay, I bought the mocal one first and it was just a spring blocking a hole with nowhere to put my senders, the Greddy was a proper plunger style thermostat.

Do you still have the mocal? Id consider the greddy thermostat but for the same price I can get the inline setup. If I get the greddy one I'd have to run a sandwich plate on a sandwich plate to use my oil relocator and I need to know if this is a bad thing to do...

Yep, I modded mine trying to mount the Greddy sensors, they leaked through the thread even with sealant. I have a mates one here he may want to get rid of though. PM me for pics if you like.

Observe the below, detailed and to scale diagram of my intended oil cooler setup. I currently have an oil cooler setup so I don't want to hear anyone saying sell it and buy one with the thermostat.

Anyway this is my idea as below.

1 sandwich plate with built in thermostat for the oil cooler(Mocal branded)

1 sandwich plate for oil relocator

all the hosing and the bla bla parts.

Is this a good idea using a sandwich plate on a sandwich plate?

Ive also attached a second picture which shows the use of an inline oil thermostat which opens at 82C.

The first option is messy but saves about $100. This setup will cost me about $80

The second option is nice, neat and cost about $190.

I payed $200 for the oil cooler plus relocator kit so keeping it as cheap as possible would be great. Its a just jap oil cooler 10an fittings.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

the second pic is the way to go so the oil goes through the filter no matter what, I have the Mocal themostat ( not installed yet ) it should work fine, while cold and thick the oil takes the path of least resistence and returns straight from the filter ( in diagram 2 ) when the oil gets to a certain temp that path is slightly blocked and the oil goes through the cooler then back to the motor..

the second pic is the way to go so the oil goes through the filter no matter what, I have the Mocal themostat ( not installed yet ) it should work fine, while cold and thick the oil takes the path of least resistence and returns straight from the filter ( in diagram 2 ) when the oil gets to a certain temp that path is slightly blocked and the oil goes through the cooler then back to the motor..

Are you going to with the same in line setup? A sandwich plate on a sandwich plate will still let the oil filter filter the oil but it requires double the length of hose. scotty is going to show me pix of a thermostat he might have. Options are still open so.