M35 Throttle Restriction Removal, Maybe

Commsman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's funny how nothing seems easy on the M35. Maybe we should be all driving C34's :laugh: .

I'm now considering this a challenge and will pursue it to it's completion, be it successful or not. With knowledge comes (power?) the ability to find solutions to other needs/wants/problems that may crop up in the future, plus I love to learn.

It has also occured to me that if I have the ability to open the throttle a little more at say 20% (where I sit most of the time on the freeway) it will make the engine more efficient. If, as a byproduct of this, it reduces the injector pulse width with no or little change to cam timing I could have a sweet spot set up for a lean cruise mode. The point being, even if I'm not 100% successful in beating the throttle restriction above 80%, there could be an indirect benefit of this R & D work.

I like the way you think -outside the box. I'm not sure if that is a viable solution but I will ponder the implications & anything else related that comes to mind during the week. It seems that almost everything in our factory ECUs are tied to something else. Thanks for your input Steve. Oh, and max throttle I've ever experienced according to the informeter is 85% I think. In the last couple of weeks it's been nothing over 80%. Again, it's so many other factors which determine what the ECU allows you to do.:mad:

As for you other guys - you crack me up :rofl: It doesn't take long to degrade into a free-for-all lol.

here is something to add to the many curve ball's....the throttle stepping and open% may also be changed buy the temp sender on the AFM!.....density of air and all that crap.....I hope you crack this one Leon. Another thought as our ECU is similar to the AT RX8 in the way it control's everything maybe there might be some info on this within the RX-8 forums somewhere!

anyway just my thought's and awesome work Leon!...don't you just love drive by wire!

ive looked into the RX8 forums when i found out it used the same hitachi processor as ours. they havent cracked it either! and there are plenty of RX8s in the states

here is something to add to the many curve ball's....the throttle stepping and open% may also be changed buy the temp sender on the AFM!.....density of air and all that crap.....I hope you crack this one Leon. Another thought as our ECU is similar to the AT RX8 in the way it control's everything maybe there might be some info on this within the RX-8 forums somewhere!

anyway just my thought's and awesome work Leon!...don't you just love drive by wire!

I think you are spot on and there may well be a couple of other parameters thrown in for good measure! If I had to determine exactly what the ECU looked at to open the throttle a given amount, I'd need a lookup table far bigger & complex than I'd be able to put together myself with the resources I have.

I'm guessing now, but at this early stage I think I'd be lucky to get maybe an extra 10% total opening consistently. Another few % may come with the other parameters that will be outside of my control.

I'll just sneak up on it tho. I little research, a bit of measuring, a LOT of trial & error & see what eventuates. And no, I don't particularly love DBW :glare: .

give me a full ecu wiring diagram in english and ill sus out whats holding it back from opening up the throttle....... ie: all sensors attatched to the ecu etc etc

give me a full ecu wiring diagram in english and ill sus out whats holding it back from opening up the throttle....... ie: all sensors attatched to the ecu etc etc

Wow...confident!

Good luck!

Wiring diagram.. as in which pins do what? we've gone one of them thats fairly complete, and I should be able to do the rest if theyre required? :)

actually a diagram wont help with out the software to be able to access the ECU to see the program that is running.

the wiring diagram will only show whats connected to the ECU and not how the ECU uses the information.......... i was thinking to symplistically HAHA

ok i thought of the correct term...... i need the ECU logic diagram.............. and thats something that i think we'll never be able to get our hands on :down:

Well I have a Stagea VQ30 ecu for $100 if anyone wants it. Someone on this site said that the VQ30 did not have fly by wire throttle so should be ideal for someone who wants to try a mechanical throttle. Its off a n/a engine so ideally would be run with a piggyback and standalone ebc.

Well I have a Stagea VQ30 ecu for $100 if anyone wants it. Someone on this site said that the VQ30 did not have fly by wire throttle so should be ideal for someone who wants to try a mechanical throttle. Its off a n/a engine so ideally would be run with a piggyback and standalone ebc.

How are the cam's controlled on a VQ30? Does the VQ30 ecu talk to the gearbox? What sort of gearbox does the VQ30 have? List goes on.......if only it was that easy! Thanks for the offer and nice thinking!