SAU Community

Calling Dietary Gurus

Mr Eps

Hey guys.

Just writing up a meal plan and I'm almost complete just one thing is racking my brains: midnight snack.

So I didn't what every normal guy creating a mealplan would do:

Make a thread about it on the SAU wasteland.

Basically: years ago I lost 40kg making my own meal plans and sticking to it.. Since that "lowest weight" I've put back on 7kg...

I'm wanting to lose a total of 10kg in fat...

Gym and exercise aside.. My meal plan Is as follows; with each main meal offering an alternative to give an idea of what I'm getting at:

Breakfast:

Two medium boiled eggs + psyllium husks in water

OR

1/3 cup oats made into porrige with honey + psyllium

Morning tea:

Apple + rice thin with peanut butter

Lunch:

Soup of whatever choice I decide - low salt obviously

Afternoon tea:

Celery / carrot sticks with peanut butter plus another rice thin or can of tuna etc - just some protein...

Dinner:

Grilled serve of meat with salad or vegetables

Now I'll also note that morning and night I'll be taking fish oil, and will probably have some form of thermogenics as well as natural green tea.. And the occasional glass of flcream milk.., I won't be "snacking" because simply put.. I don't like eating almonds and dried fruit.. It's too sweet.

I'll also be drinking a pure WPI drink mixed with water after workout.. This is no flavorings.. No artificial junk.. Just a pure protein...

MY QUESTION TO YOU, wasteland....

Is, my meal plan a good plan for cutting fat and leaning out a bit?

But also... I get hungry at night and want a midnight snack... Suggest something that I can have that won't disrupt my plans - but here's the challenge...

I don't want fruit late at night.... And I HATE most sweet things. So please no suggestions of "microwave an apple with cinnamon it's like an apple pie LOL"

... I would prefer a piece of chicken breast served with a really hot Chilli to dip it into. So - help me out with a midnight snack???

And feel free to suggest or discuss your eating habits. :)

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys.

Just writing up a meal plan and I'm almost complete just one thing is racking my brains: midnight snack.

So I didn't what every normal guy creating a mealplan would do:

Make a thread about it on the SAU wasteland.

Basically: years ago I lost 40kg making my own meal plans and sticking to it.. Since that "lowest weight" I've put back on 7kg...

I'm wanting to lose a total of 10kg in fat...

Gym and exercise aside.. My meal plan Is as follows; with each main meal offering an alternative to give an idea of what I'm getting at:

Breakfast:

Two medium boiled eggs + psyllium husks in water

OR

1/3 cup oats made into porrige with honey + psyllium

Morning tea:

Apple + rice thin with peanut butter

Lunch:

Soup of whatever choice I decide - low salt obviously

Afternoon tea:

Celery / carrot sticks with peanut butter plus another rice thin or can of tuna etc - just some protein...

Dinner:

Grilled serve of meat with salad or vegetables

Now I'll also note that morning and night I'll be taking fish oil, and will probably have some form of thermogenics as well as natural green tea.. And the occasional glass of flcream milk.., I won't be "snacking" because simply put.. I don't like eating almonds and dried fruit.. It's too sweet.

I'll also be drinking a pure WPI drink mixed with water after workout.. This is no flavorings.. No artificial junk.. Just a pure protein...

MY QUESTION TO YOU, wasteland....

Is, my meal plan a good plan for cutting fat and leaning out a bit?

But also... I get hungry at night and want a midnight snack... Suggest something that I can have that won't disrupt my plans - but here's the challenge...

I don't want fruit late at night.... And I HATE most sweet things. So please no suggestions of "microwave an apple with cinnamon it's like an apple pie LOL"

... I would prefer a piece of chicken breast served with a really hot Chilli to dip it into. So - help me out with a midnight snack???

And feel free to suggest or discuss your eating habits. :)

hey rowan,first,i can't help......but!a colleague of mine works out as a hobby(knows his stuff)is personal trainer qualified and happy to give advice,as is his passion/interest in the subject at hand.i'll see him tonight and give him a read of this and see what he thinks.....if i don't forget.he knows his nutrition/supplements/bodybuilding stuff damn well.get back to you later.rich.

Cheers Rich I'm fine with that song long as it's not the standard PT response which is usually "bump up your cardio man"

If you wanna get my gym schedule involved while were at it - one hour a day workout:

Monday - chest biceps n core

Tuesday - one hour kick box-ercise

Wednesay - legs

Thursday - shoulders n triceps

Friday - back and core

^^ this is no talking no breaks no frittering about. If I'm not doing a bench press, I'm doing pushups. If I'm not doing a squat - it's high knee runs.. Etc etc

I also ride my bike to n from the gym..

And walk / ride to train station to get to my work

I'm just saying I do a fair amount of exercise.. More than what most couch potatoes do ... Most personal trainers just tell everyone to "ramp up your cardio man" and it's fkn annoying. None of them will listen to what you are already doing!!!

Edited by Mr Eps

eps i promise this is a good thing.

i have used this diet and i went from around 110kg and i now sit at a very happy 88kg. it VERY easy to follow, and is broken up into 4 phases.

i cant recommend it highly enough..

http://www.dukandiet.co.uk/en/336-dukan-coaching/the-dukan-method.html?gclid=CP6Qu4-D2agCFcJP4QodeW54_Q

I'm on body trim and I eat more then I ever have and lost 6kgs in the 1st 2 weeks and the meal options are great and even shows you how to eat out and stay compliant to the system

I'm no guru - never will be - but just have some experience with "compulsive eating therapy"

Before I make any further comments... > firstly, a few facts...

* Worst time of day for snacking = late afternoon/evening.

* Worst foods which are weight gain offenders = a) simple carbohydrates and b) trans/saturated fats

* Metabolism cannot be ignored either, nor energy value of the food, nor fruit/veg enzymes according to season where one lives.

* Exercise is only a subheading ie. exercise alone for most people (unless endorphins are stimulated well) is boring. Main Heading is "Activity"

* Activity = Mental Stimulus + Physical Exercise (since it's the mental stimulus/fun/motivation/preoccupation that helps the exercise time pass by smoothly & effortlessly)

* Cardiovascular exercise needs to be kept up without a break for at least 23 mins for most people before B.M.R. kicks in (ie basal metabolic rate) (will comment later when I have time if required). This is why all the weight loss places pluck out the number "30" as a magic number 'er Contours uses "29" to be different haha

* "7" issues can cause weight gain (can comment later if required) or if attended to, getting off a 'plateau'

Will try and post something this afternoon. Both the workout schedule and diet are not suited to fat loss.

What kind of body type are you?

Do you gain visible fat easily? Or are you naturally fairly thin?

on a serious note, if you can make cabbage soup / raw cabbage salad that tastes good (i seem to have a memory of you being able to cook yes?) then eat that as your body uses more energy to digest cabbage that it gets from it. if you eat it just before bed you can hit the hay in that short 1/2 hour before you become hungry again

cellery is simmilar

also edemame is nice and easy for a healthy midnight snack

fark you eat alot

Heres a diet its not fancy but its guarenteed to keep you alive and keep you healthy,

breakfast.. Piece of Vegemite on toast or small bowl of cereal and a coffee

lunch.. Sammich and juice

dinner...meat and 3 veg or sgetti consume with beer.

Pretty damn simple really if you want a snack have a piece of fruit and drink water. Twice a day is enough..If you indulge one evening, ssay because you go out for dinner or something then eat lightly the next, or skip a few meals before you go out....It really isn that hard

Eps have you considered taking another protein drink as your midnight snack? I usually have a protein shake just before bed as I start to get hungry around that time. Gives the body some fuel to repair itself while it's resting... Works for me

Having a stable healthy diet here is difficult because it ends up burning a big hole in my wallet since garbage food is generally cheaper than fresh healthy foods... I do go for lots of vegetables, whole wheat bread, good quality meat like fish and lean beef cuts and mussels, I love mussels. Soups are great, drink lots of water, and have some flax seed oil. If you have a blender, then perfect, throw in a bunch of vegetables and add no-sodium bullion soup flavored cubes and some water. Heat it up and there you go, good soup (add some oat meal flakes for an interesting flavor).

I can't stick to a diet too much though, it gets boring and I get tired of eating the same stuff. I also have the same dislike for sweets :yucky:, I never liked them at all, except for fruits. Not much to add, just felt like writing something :closedeyes:

this fresh healthy food being more expensive than unhealthy foods is bullcrap and a copout made by people looking for excuses to eat junk..

Our grandfolks survived into their 90s on vegemite baked beans and weetbix..they survived a depression and 2 world wars..

We are all far to spoilt for choice these day and over indulgentstick with the KISS theory andyou will find its not that hard..

BTW, you may find this hypocritical but I just had a double beef and bacon burger for breakfast and a bottle of red bull, but to keep the balance I will eat nothing but an apple,banana and bottle of water between now and 6 tonight..

Man, it IS expensive here. Everything is expensive, so naturally people tend to buy cheaper lower quality stuff imported, mostly from the great nation of the Philippines. 12 rolls of toilet paper costs 9 AUD, a can of good grade tuna for 5 AUD... It wasn't like this 5 years ago, global economy is shifting and changing, and smaller countries, especially in the Pacific suffer the most because there is no benefit from them. Nobody is out fishing due to high gas prices and no one will buy fish because of the cost of gas passed onto the fish. There are no exports here, our import goods costs increased 5x over the past years due to import tax increase, fuel costs, increased container charges, etc. Not arguing, just telling it like it is here. *eats Nutri-Grain bar*

Adamskill - thanks man i'll have a look into it cos that's pretty close to my "goal" i'm at 107 right now but would like to be between 90-95.. lowest i ever got was 98 and i was skinny as a rake haha

R32-25T - while i admit body trim DOES sound interesting - it seems too close to the program i design myself to warrat shelling over all that money to be told many of the things i already know.. i can't see bosytrim offering anything to "me" radical enough to justify their purchase.. does that make sense?

Terry - worst time for snacking is late afternoon and late evening because when trying to lose weight we don't FEED ourselves enough during the day - so that is WHY i'm trying to think of a suitable midnight snack - in CASE i get ravenously hungry and cannot sleep at night! :)

some_cs_student - please explain how a breakfast of slow release carbohydrate, high protein vegetable diet and no low carbohydrate meal plan is not suited for fat loss? :/ and how is walking and bike riding and kickboxing combined with weight training not suited to fat loss :/ i'm not patronising you here, but the last time i lost the bulk of my weight - THIS was how i did it.

my body type - typical fat guy that's lost weight... so, stocky.. solid build.. well defined arms with olive skin. haha

no really. my arms and legs i'm happy with - it's just my torso that needs work.. any excess leg fat will come off from riding etc. but the torso fat is what is bothering me!

Hamish - cheers for the salary idea man.. i forgot about celery - as for cabbage soup - while YES i could make it... to be honest between "cooking" brekky, planning my meals and lunch AND cooking and buying my dinners... i can't be f**ked making cabbage soup in the off chance that i *may* get hungry. haha! and yes - i was the fattest thing to every grace a pink hoody and a fixy bike. okay FINE it wasn't REALLY 40 kg i was like 137 and got down to 98/99

...and im not ACTUALLY a hipster. smileyface!

RBNT - thanks i'll look into that! :) but im more looking for healthy foods is all..

Arthur - you are joking, right? my meal plan is really not a lot of food at all my man, and vegemite's not that good for you! :P but in that case it wouldn't matter if vegemite were pure lard.. you really only have about 3 grams of it anyway :)