SAU Community

R33 Gtr Gearbox Removal Question?

Hey guys,

My R33 GTR clutch is on its way out so i need to take off the gearbox to get to it.

I've searched through a couple pages looking for a tutorial or tips on how to remove, as they are fairly big and look fairly complicated compared to GTS-T gearboxes.

My main concerns is the atessa system and will it be affected when the box is removed, also will anything up front need to be removed as the engine needs to tilt back a bit to slide it out. Another thing is the 4wd shaft that goes to the front diff.

If you guys have anything in mind at all that might help me, please post up :rolleyes:

Cheers guys!! :laugh:

If you have big hands, get smaller ones.

Get a cheap 12mm (or 14mm... can't remember) and cut it down to get to the starter motor bolts. Or some stubby spanners. Also, get as many extensions as you can on your socket to reach the top bellhousing bolts.

It won't affect ATTESSA.

If it is a pull type you need to knock the pin out on the pivot fork from the outside.

Get a strong mate to help you catch the gearbox when it falls!

it wont affect the attessa but you will have to bleed it after you re-install the box.

pretty sure its 12mm for the starter motor bolts, get a short ratchet ring spanner,

there is a pretty comprehensive write up in the members tutorials which should help,

I made up a little cradle that mounted on my floor jack to support the box while you lower it and slid it back, saves wrestling with 80kgs of awkardness whilst on your back..

tip 1 : disconnect battery first ( basic I know ) then get inside car while still clean and remove shifter..

2 disconnect intercooler piping to allow engine to tilt back, when you get the stage of removing gearbox crossmember, use the trolley jack to support the back of the gearbox and lower it slowly so it doesn't just drop. you'll be surprised how much it tilts down..

I think the rest is pretty well covered, just take your time, first time is always a bit daunting.

good luck