SAU Community

Identifying Damage On Used Semis

No Crust Racing

The first used pair I bought were already pretty tired so I wasn't worried as they were dirt cheap to learn on.

I'm looking at some more used semis but with a bit more meat now and wanting some assistance identifying damage that's of concern.

In this link a guy has some 235 RE55s which he says have plenty of tread left, the pics show some melted rubber on the tread surface. Is this indicative of overheating or is it simply rubber that's been picked up on the tread surface while it was hot and has cooled there. Would I expect this to come off once the tyres are at temp?

Cheers

Edited by ActionDan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top tyre in the first set is the only one of concern. It appears to be a bit "choppy", ei, driven a fair bit past its maximum grip threshold. Just use it on the inside rear and it'll be fine though.

The rubber is just "pickup", it comes off, no concerns there.

The top tyre in the second batch is obviously the most worn too, again, just use it on the rear (or wherever your car uses rubber the least.

Keep in mind you'll likely need two sessions to scrub someone elses tyres into your car's setup.

lol, I'm chasing 1,000 x 75mm long peg board thingys. We use them for our retail display stands we give to our retailers. Aussie prices is 60 cents each which I find simply fkn outrageous.

Why you mixing Facebook with SAU tyre thread? LOL

The first set would be my pick.

They seem to have a bit more tread depth.

2 tyres are a bit excessively worn on the outside edge, probably due to lack of camber, but nothing i'd be worried about. Particularly when they are only 500 bucks.

The old rubber is a good indicator that they have only been used on the track and then wheels swapped for the trip home.

Chuck them on the rear, run them into the ground. RE55's still provide good grip well past the indicators.

The second set have been driven on the street. Way too clean, possibly past their best as far as heat cycles go. I would leave them alone.

Ideally I was after some proper R comps, I considered the KU36s as I can get a new set for about 700 but for another 300 I can get R888s instead. In the end I wasn't looking to spend that much anyway, hence shopping for second handers. This new house is eating up all the moneyz.

You should PM me with details anyway out of curiosity...

Edited by ActionDan

if you can get a set of new KU36s for $700 get them. way better than half fked RE55 for $500. you'll get way more like out of brand new KU36 vs shagged used tyres. seriously buying cheap used ones is a bit of a false economy if you can get new so cheap. it's only worth buying used if you can get anything new under $2K or so.

Option Garage is doing them for that price but if I'm spending $700 (which I really shouldn't be anyway due to having just bought a house) then I'm only another $300 away from the R888s (GG compound) which would be much faster.

One think I couldn't clearly ascertain was how the KU36's would let me down, is it just in outright grip or also in ability to handle sustained hot laps (or both?)

It's also no as straight forward as comparing new KUs to used REs because the KUs are still a street tyre.

Edited by ActionDan

I've just gone from virtually bald A032R's (semi) 265/17 to almost new AD08s (street) 285/18...

I can tell you now the almost dead 7yo semi's were MUCH grippier than the AD08. :/

If you are doing roundy roundy circuit, then getting 2nd hand semi's would be better. KU's will never be as fast lap time wise - and if thats what you want, who cares about tyre life?

If you intend to street/circuit then it comes down to scale of economy, and what you want.

This was my understanding of it too, old R comps are still quicker but I also saw ssxRicoh (think thats the username) saying he set his best PB on KUs as opposed to shagged semis (was a cold day and the KUs prefer that).

So I'm a bit lost, I realise that for 500 I'll be getting used semis instead of new street tyres but given how much grip even the shagged ones I bought had (old old RE55s I got for $200) I'm not sure if a street tyre will satisfy me grip wise.

The other option is I go the new streets and if they are no good after one track day I sell them on or swap them for some used semis.

What's your say on the grip situation Richard?

Hmm, realistically I can probably squeeze another day or two from the semis I have, the fronts will take it but the rears are well into the depth indicators and have a few nice scratches from burnouts at DECA, woops.

After that I think I'll stick with the semis.

So, the question remains... who has some 235 R17 semis for me!