SAU Community

Identifying Damage On Used Semis

No Crust Racing

yeah I have used AD07s and AD08s as street tyres and for outright grip they are not great. good streeties but not so good on track. the BEST street tyres i've used for track use are dunlop Z1 star spec. I ran them the other day at wakefield and ran a 1:12 in my little emo with just 200kw and pezzy non-brembo brakes (and my limited driving skill). I was shocked how much grip they had, very predictable too. they do like more pressure in them than semis which can throw people off a bit at first.

if your car is 90% street with the odd track day then I'd probably use the Z1. if you are more focussed on getting good times and rarely drive on the street then for sure semis are the go. even the Z1s wouldn't be as fast as a used semi in reasonable shape (but not miles off either).

anyway for your budget really your only option is used tyres. so just hang out for some cheap thrashed semis and enjoy. :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is quicker on worn out semis with chord hangin out of them than the KU.

KU is good, don't get me wrong, but it's still a streeter.

yeah, but you've never used the R888 semis. Worst semi I've ever used by a long way!

I went from KU36 to R888 and the only advantage was a bit of corner exit traction. I doubt they have any more lateral grip than the KU36.

Having driven on both, I would buy the KU36 over the R888s any day of the week.

Edited by hrd-hr30

That's interesting stuff Harry. I think temp hs a bit to do with it, from what I read KUs hold there own on really cold days when the semis can't get up to operating temp.

Is this your experience? As it seems you're in the minority on whether KUs are as quick as new or old semis.

FYI I've been looking for some more RE55s

I use Advans A050 or Dunlop O3G. Not the R888 that I remember Harry hated, so obviously steer clear of them.

Harry and I both run very basic cars, his a 180SX, mine a 32GTS. Just basic mods, coil overs n stuff.

Same as me then, basic coil overs and a couple adjustable arms.

The shagged RE55s still seemed to have a ton of grip to me, more grip than my talent (or lack there of) could make use of without feeling like I was hurting the car so I'll hold out for some more semis.

If you guys come across something let me know.

Its not that KU's are as quick as new semis, its more that R888's are as slow as KU's.

RE55s will blow KU36's away. R888 won't. That's been my experience anyway.

3 May 09. Lakeside 1:00.79

nearly worn out KU36 on a big fat 1540kg JZA80 Supra. Stock turbos & boost. 186rwkw. Stock suspension apart from Tein Flex.

vs

19 April 09. Lakeside 1:00.32

brand new R888 GG on a stripped out Sil80 which would have been at least 400kg lighter. 200rwkw.

I replaced the R888's with Federal FZ201 nov last year. The difference is night and day. Haven't run them at Lakeside yet so can't compare times, but these feel very grippy like all the semis I've used before - RE55S, Toyo RA1 and Yoko A032R. Its what I was expecting when I bought the R888s a couple of years ago.

That's interesting stuff Harry. I think temp hs a bit to do with it, from what I read KUs hold there own on really cold days when the semis can't get up to operating temp.

Is this your experience? As it seems you're in the minority on whether KUs are as quick as new or old semis.

FYI I've been looking for some more RE55s

R888's get up to temp really quickly, that wasn't the issue.

I wasn't overly thrilled with mine either but eventually found how to make the most out of them. In my case, lots of camber and fairly low pressures (low 30's hot). Even then outright grip was still less than i have now with the same alignment and re55s running a little more pressure.

Keep in mind that the FZ's are only available in medium at the moment

Edited by badhairdave

more grip than my talent (or lack there of)

Why not just use the KUs which are cheaper than used semis in terms if $ for tyre life?

Do more trackdays to improve driving skillz rather than trying to buy your way into faster times?

I still reckon KU's a pretty good thing. I'm astounded with how well mine have worn given the pizzling they copped. Two tray days and with the exception of a flat spot for all intents and purposes look new.

Maybe I'm just becoming a pussy in my old age? :)

I'm with you Ben. I remember my KU36's still had the writing visible in the middle of the tread surface after the first track day. And no-one's ever accussed me of being gentle on tyres.

I've had a good run with KU's at DECA on skidpan etc. won my first outright DECA on KU's that were only a day old. I wouldn't use them for sprints as I enjoy driving with semi's so much more but I still managed a 38.4 on KU's at winton last year.

I reckon you should buy these. A bit old and they might happen to be my old ones :whistling: but they will be good and they're cheap!

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/352790-4x-semi-slicks-225235-17s/page__p__5655391