SAU Community

Identifying Damage On Used Semis

No Crust Racing

I still reckon KU's a pretty good thing. I'm astounded with how well mine have worn given the pizzling they copped. Two tray days and with the exception of a flat spot for all intents and purposes look new.

Maybe I'm just becoming a pussy in my old age? :)

They do have a very deep tread grooves.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just use the KUs which are cheaper than used semis in terms if $ for tyre life?

Do more trackdays to improve driving skillz rather than trying to buy your way into faster times?

agreed. on track miles per $ you'll probably be a fair bit ahead on a set of brand new KU36 than buying used semis. the problem is you can never tell how used tyres have been heat cycled and they may be pretty wrecked in that regard. and by buying new you can look after them, rotate them etc and get the most out of them. the most important thing is seat time. the more time on track you get the faster you will go.

Its more a case of knowing that semis have more grip than I can skillfully use.

With the Ku's I don't wind to wind up with a tyre I feel can't keep up which will frustrate me as I'm already used to the grip of semis

I'm not sure what you mean? you don't want a tyre you can't keep up with? I drove a makes S15 at wakefield the other day on just plain shithouse street tyres (215/17 all round from memory). you quickly learn how to use the grip they have and in fact good semis probably hide a lot more driving deficiencys than they reveal. you will no doubt be faster on semis but you'll learn a lot more on lower grip tyres that's for sure. and when you go back to semi's you can apply that knowledge and go even faster again.

but it's your car, go with whatever you're comfortable with. but at the price you quoted before KU36 are hard to beat.

Worded it poorly Baron. I mean that I'd hate to buy the KU's, get out there and find they have crap grip compared to the semis I have. Yes I would learn how to use the grip available but ultimately from a speed and lap time point of view I ight end up going slower than my last PB and that would just piss me off - Who wants to go backwards. When I buy tyres I'd like to know that they will have the same or more grip and so I at least have the potential to go faster, driving permitting.

I'll just keep looking around and see what comes up. I'm getting itchy feet so in the end it'll probably come down to what I find and for what money. Despite what I said above I still had a crack bidding on the KUs on eBay as they were cheap for new rubber.

Appreciate the feedback chaps.

Baron pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If you run the streets now, learn to drive on the limit of those, then go to semis youll be miles ahead time and money wise than if you were to continue battling on semis.

...and KUs DO NOT have crap grip compared to semis.

Russell: 38.4 around winton on 245 KU36

Richo: 38 same? i think

Me: 39.2 around winton with only 235 with more driving left!

Theyre fast tyres dude... and cheap!