SAU Community

I Think Clutch Is Foooked

Razor36

So anyways, chucked my rwd switch flicked into rwd mode. started the car in 2nd blah blah blah used the brake blah blah blah. times that by 3 or 4.

suddenly, i couldnt get into any gears after that. i thought maybe that i f**ked the clutch but couldnt smell any clutch smell on any of the above occasions and i definately know what clutch burning smells like =/

so revmatched the car home cos wasnt far - only 5 minutes. parked it up. but what i noticed was that when i had the clutch engaged, the car would still continue to roll as tho i was in 1st gear or something.

I then tried starting the car up again in first and the car just tried to move forward even with the clutch engaged.

I was still able to get into gears when the car was turned off, but i couldnt get into any cars with the ignition on.

I presumed it was the clutch acting up due to it being a cheapy replacement for stock and not being able to handle the above mentioned antics. My mate questioned i had blown or wrecked the box, but after some research i have found the following and seems like this is the problem:

- one of the pressure plate springs has broken free from it'smount and is in contact with the flywheel. this is why i cant shift when engineis on, and why it doesn't release even when the clutch pedal is pushed all theway down.

- broken clutch discsprings usually don't let you shift into gear since it usually jams itselfbetween the pressure plate and the clutch disc

- if you can notengage the transmission into any gear with the engine running but, can engageit into gear with the engine shutdown, that's a good sign that either theclutch disc or pressure plate is bad.

What i would like to ask is if anyone has had this problem before?

and will i need to buy a whole new clutch kit(looking at exedy heavy duty button or hyper single) or can i just get the disc/pressure plate springs fixed? is this at all possible?

Thanks,

Clayton

started the car in 2nd blah blah blah used the brake blah blah blah. times that by 3 or 4.

by this do u mean u put it in 2nd then dropped a skid and jumped on the brake? for 3 or 4 times? yeah the clutch is more then likely stuffed haha

check to see if its just the pressure plate that needs replacing.. which will be few hundred to fix.. if not its the clutch so ur looking at 1grand to fix itif u want something liek a single plate.. if u want to be able to limiter launch it go for hte tripple plate clutch ver expensive tho

Edited by zonk

sounds more like a hydraulic issue. before going to the effort of removing the box check all the lines etc for leaks and bleed it all. also, get someone to push the pedal and hold it down whilst you watch the slave cylinder/fork for any movement (a slow leak will see the clutch slowly release without moving the pedal).

had a look through a few options my mechanic gave me:

check slave cylinder

check clutch fluid

check clutch fork

also check if clutch is fused to flywheel.

etc.

Overall end result is that i have either cracked pressure plate or popped pressure plate springs which i wont know either until i pull the clutch out completely.

Anywho im going to order a hyper single exedy clutch kit and get that installed, as i dont trust the clutch that is in there atm - its possible it is a xtreme button clutch and i dont trust xtreme clutches at all.

I dont want to have to worry that this sort of thing that might happen again in the future so id rather put a new clutch in that i trust and can be confident that it will last me launching etc and use of my current power.

thanks for the help guys.

I have a funny feeling the clutch thats in there is an Xtreme button clutch which have a common problem of welding to the flywheel so i though that might have been the problem also guys. any remedies to check if this is the case besides prying it out from underneath the car?

- ive tried warming up the car and then turning it off. then starting it in 1st gear and driving it around my street and giving it some accelerater with the clutch down but no luck. heard this was one way to get it 'un-fused'

That will work if the car has enough power the break it free. try second/third full power clutch in. Try not to bash limiter too hard when it breaks free though.

I described the problem to allstar garage on the phone and they seem to think i need to replace the clutch completely due to it being fused to the flywheel. Are they right? Or is it just a matter of releasing the clutch from the flywheel? They generally know their shit, but I dont want to spend want to spend money on a new clutch kit if the current one is still useable, like if its still has plenty of meat left on it.

before going to the effort of removing the box check all the lines etc for leaks and bleed it all. also, get someone to push the pedal and hold it down whilst you watch the slave cylinder/fork for any movement (a slow leak will see the clutch slowly release without moving the pedal).

checked these basics?

if your running a gtr man then thats your first and last problem right there. They are not cheap i know this buy having 2 of them. if you suspect you have an extrem clutch in it right now i wouldnt bother with speculations of what the problem is just replace the whole lot when you can afford it, Clutch plate/sandwich plate flywheel and thrust bearning if its still the old one. The reason i say flywheel is because the 2nd 32 gtr being used has got an excedy hd clutch in it know and the retards who got it before i bought the car left the standard flywheel in it and now its chewing it out.

Yeah they are a money pit for sure, its definately not worth f**king around with if the clutch that's in there is shit.l, but I have no idea what is in there.

I'm getting a new clutch and the flywheel machined this wednesday at allstar. Should fix the problem, and stop any further issues :)

yeah but is it the standard flywheel still or aftermarket cause standard is mild steel and aftermarket is usually chrome-moly steel

yeah but is it the standard flywheel still or aftermarket cause standard is mild steel and aftermarket is usually chrome-moly steel

we shall see when they open her up as previous owner had no knowledge of what clutch - noob. if its still the standard then ill scrap it and get an exedy replacement. if its aftermarket i will get it machined.

thanks for the help.

I Had a very similar problem in my 33 gtst.

Does your pedal feel funny???

I found that my clutch pedal had broken.. Have a look uder the dash, and shine a torch or somthing onto where your pedal joins the firewall. Mine was pretty rooted.. And this explained why the car would move forward even if the clutch is engaged.

Just my 2 cents worth.. have a look at the pic. this is where the pedal bolts to the firewall.

post-16376-0-15899000-1306218570_thumb.jpg