SAU Community

R33 Series 2 Dramas

It isn't so much as a problem as what nissan designed the ECU to do. Basically they made the upper right quadrant of the map very rich in fuel and low on timing, this was so if some average joe upped the boost and went around flogging the motor it didn't blow up. Basically an extra safety factor, all you need is a tuner to remap this part of the map with more sane fuel and ignition values, obviously making sure the engine is in good condition first (clean injectors, good pump etc). Standard ECU isn't easily remappable, if you get a nistune daughterboard plugged in it allows real time tuning like on a full aftermarket ECU, highly recommended.

Building a motor, rb20, rb25, rb27, rb30 etc is all the same, just different crank/rods/pistons depending on the combo so if you are going to build a motor build a 30 as it wins hands down.

HOWEVER you want a circuit car yes? 300kw is OODLES of power for a circuit car, also with 2.5L 300kw can be had without too much lag making it very nice to drive still, also 300kw isn't unachievable for a stock engine, it will put up with this sort of abuse for a long time if careful and meticulously tuned.

So bang for buck, get a highflow suitable for 250-300kw (check out the hypergear thread), z32 air flow meter, metal intake pipe, intercooler, bigger injectors, and a nistune computer, all the supporting mods (and get it tuned lol). All the supporting mods to handle 250-300kw reliably on the track will set you back $5k (clutch, tyres suspension, diff etc) this is your best option by far, you have a spare rb25 if it blows up. If you stick with 250kw you will have a very fast car still and it will probably last a very long time if you get it tuned correctly. Getting it tuned correctly is VERY important, this is the difference between a car that lasts 3 months and one that lasts 3 years, do not skimp on tuning and do not skimp on a tuner.

If you go and build a motor, there goes $5k minimum and you haven't got ANY of the supporting mods, what use is a built motor with stock turbo and intercooler etc? Especially if you can't afford the $1k for semi slicks on the track, complete waste. Do not do this unless you are willing to spend $10k minimum to do everything that goes along with the motor, in the end you won't have a faster car anyway, 300kw is probably the limit unless you are a pro driver, especially with the suspension setup you will probably use.

So my advice don't touch the motor and do all the supporting mods and enjoy. Also don't forget if you build a motor you will be needing to spend at least $1k getting it tuned, I don't think you realise how expensive this will all get, at least $10k to get it all going, probably more once you fix all the stuff that breaks along the way.

My ultimate advice is sell the car and buy a mint 300kw example with everything already done, built motor the works. Your R33 is probably worth what $9k? Sell it for that, add on your $5k and you can get a $14k car, there are lots of 250-300kw R33s (r32s as well) for this price with all the mods you want and in very nice condition all ready to go.

Think LONG and HARD before considering building an engine, you will almost certainly regret it if $5k is your limit.

i just want to do something everyone hasn't already done.

No offense but people say this all the time and go and build stupid engines like an rb24 etc, it costs them a shitload and in the end someone who has spent a couple of grand on a highflow on their stock rb25 beats it in every single way. You drive a skyline, nothing you do will be original, plus when you go to the track they won't go 'wow thats an rb24 when you drive past' they will go 'wow he isn't as fast as that other car!'. Being different for the sake of it is stupid, being different because you found a better way is what you should do, however everyone has already figured out the best way to do things. Bang for buck, this is the philosophy you should be using!

Read all this twice (I'm serious) and take care! cheers.gif

Edited by Rolls

No offense but people say this all the time and go and build stupid engines like an rb24 etc, it costs them a shitload and in the end someone who has spent a couple of grand on a highflow on their stock rb25 beats it in every single way. You drive a skyline, nothing you do will be original, plus when you go to the track they won't go 'wow thats an rb24 when you drive past' they will go 'wow he isn't as fast as that other car!'. Being different for the sake of it is stupid, being different because you found a better way is what you should do, however everyone has already figured out the best way to do things. Bang for buck, this is the philosophy you should be using!

Read all this twice (I'm serious) and take care! cheers.gif

im just gunna go ahead and add u cause ur pritty switched on mate :O.lol

ive done quite a bit of racing in canada (not drifting) so im familiar with racing and i know the cost. i get what ur saying about buying a already done car. but theres no fun in driving something someone else has built. its like u buying a car dumping ur life savings in it making the fastest thing on the road, and not drive it cause u have no licence. ive always had fast cars but some one else has done all the work ive just forked out the money. this one is different. i want to build as much as i can(if i have the equipment to do so.

ill prolly just keep the 25 then and just change the the internals to forged (without stingeing on a proper tune of course :thumbsup:) would u recommend a z32 afm or eleminate it completely with a power fc?

thanks for the advice ill be in touch