SAU Community

buying an unregistered car

predator

Hey all..

I'm buying a 2nd skyline.. a R31 as a run about.. Now the guy is selling it unregistered and plates removed, although the rego is just about to expire. Don't worry I don't think this guy is dodgy (its another forum and he's active on there for a while).

Now I was just wondering. What do i need to prove transfer of ownership? There is a standard transfer form, but that seems to be for transferring a vehicle that already has registration and a safety certificate. Which this won't.

When the time comes, as I understand it I just go in with a CTP slip, a valid safety certificate, pay the rego+stamp costs, and they will be able to issue me new plates and away i'll be able to drive? yes? no?

I have a written receipt from him, will that be enough down the track to state I bought the car when i go do the above? Or do I need anything else?

Just hoping somebody on here who has bought older cars might be able to help me out, as I'm not fully familiar with how the system works up here.

cheers

All you need is this.

RWC, Rego Application Papers, Drivers Liscence, Recipt and thats realy all, You also must bring the car down for inspection. Make sure there is no oil around the motor as they dont look at you very well when there is and may ask a few questions. I do this all the time for work.

Thanks Evo. They actually inspect the car after you already have a safety certificate? damn -- i thought QLD had the slackest inspections in Australia :rofl: How are you meant to get it down to a transport office also if its not currently registered, and therefore not meant to be driven? Oh well, once I have it all sorted and the safety certificate, shouldn't be too much of a drama I hope.

Thanx Glen. Let me know what you find.

You can get a temporary rego for a day so you can take your car to the mechanics and to get roadworthy/rego with out getting in trouble.

Go to any suncorp and got to the main desk ask about insurance for a 1 day pass then go to QLD transport and get the pass you have to show that you have got the insurance for that day also. they dont give it a full inspections they just make sure it is the right car like all the numbers match up thats all. Thats why I said make sure there isnt any oil around so they can see the engine number and they dont have to clean it cos if they have to clean it normaly means there is an oil leank thats all.

IM GLAD TO HELP BYZ. NOW FOR BED :ufo:

When I did the mini recently I got a tilt tray to take the vehicle to the workshop for the roadworthy, I knew it needed some work so it would be their for a while. Then when the roadworthy had been completed ran off to the nearest Suncorp and paid my CTP. This allows you to drive from the workshop to your nearest Transport Department where you can fill out the necessary forms, they inspect the car (although they didn't do mine last time, I think cause it was previously registered in my name they couldn't be bothered checking it again?) they give you plates and a receipt, off you go. Or same as EVO83 said!

Yeah I'm going through a similar thing at the moment...I'm selling my Twincam rolla unregistered (for next to nothing :) )as it runs out in April and I can't be arsed paying more rego on it. All you need to do is get a receipt to prove it was sold to you etc etc.....make sure you get a REVS check done too....or you may be buying a loan to pay off too. It doesn't hurt to go to a police station and check ownership of the car...whether it's been reported stolen.

Don't worry. I have enough information I think posted above.

While I'm here, for anybody buying a car its always a good idea to do a REVS check to ensure there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle: 07 3246 1599 -- you can do it on the phone as well if you have a c.c. Here is further info.

http://www.consumer.qld.gov.au/oft/oftweb....nt&L1=Consumers

You will need one (an engineers) to get it re-registered basically unless the transport department is napping. So if the previous owner doesn't have one, you'll have to pay for it.

Anyhow, i now have another skyline sitting at home :) can't wait to get it on the road. Might even push 90rwkw with the couple of mods its got. Shall see!