SAU Community

Wheel Bolts Help

Grey

So I tried removing my rear tire for the first time, I removed 4 out of the 5 bolts, and the 5th one was EXTREMELY hard, so I used all the force I could, it budged like 2-3 cm, but didn't come loose. After trying multiple times, BANG the whole nut came off with the screw thingo inside it, the thing had snapped in half. I was shattered....is it dangerous to drive on 4 out of 5 bolts and if it is, where can I get a new bolt and a new screw so the bolt can screw on?

This is a common mistake mate, best way to take nuts off especially by hand is to start by loosening each nut then tighten it again slightly, go around and do this to each nut, takes the pressure of them, by undoing them one by one like you did you end up with the last nut taking all the pressure and even a heavy duty truck rattle gun wont take it off, what you end up with is a snapped stud :(

the nut and stud wont cost more than 8 or so dollars, not sure where your from but shouldnt be too hard to find a local place, its the labour that will cost you.

you can drive on 4 studs if your sensible about it, but still get it fixed asap.

BTW, it was the person who last put that tyre on who f**ked it ("cross threaded"), not you. If you know who it was, get them to fix it.

I agree 4 wheel nuts is not ideal but not unsafe if the other 4 are good and you take it easy.

There's a few threads around on changing studs. It's easy as long as you have a mallet and know how to disassemble/reassemble the handbrake shoes.