SAU Community

Blown Pressure Plate Spring?

so last nite after going for a spirited drive with some mates, and launching in rwd mode(attesa d/c via switch) i found that i couldnt get into gear. I used rev-matching technique to get it into gear to get the car home immediately after.

I am still able to get into gears when the car is turned off, but i cant get into any with the ignition on.

So I tried starting the car up again in first and the car just tried to move forward even with the clutch engaged as soon as i started the car.

I presumed it was the clutch acting up due to it being a cheapy replacement for a stock clutch(was told it was a 9 puck clutch by previous owner but unsure on the brand or model) and not being able to handle the power and my 'treatment' of it. My mate questioned that i had blown or wrecked the gearbox, but after some research i have found the following and seems like this is the problem:

- one of the pressure plate springs has broken free from it'smount and is in contact with the flywheel. this is why i cant shift when engine is on, and why it doesn't release even when the clutch pedal is pushed all the way down.

- broken clutch disc springs usually don't let you shift into gear since it usually jams itself between the pressure plate and the clutch disc

- if you can not engage the transmission into any gear with the engine running but, can engage it into gear with the engine shutdown, that's a good sign that either the clutch disc or pressure plate is bad.

So my overall question is such:

Has anyone had this problem before?

and will i need to buy a whole newclutch kit(looking at exedy heavy duty button or hyper single)???

the current clutch wasnt slipping at all before this all happened and it seemed to be in good condition, so is it possible to get the disc/pressure plate springs fixed by a workshop?

Thanks,

Clayton

Edited by Razor36

If it was jammed between the pressure plate and the clutch disc you would know about it. Im pretty sure you would be able to hear it

You say you've been researching but have you searched on here? A common problem with r33's is that the cluth pivot can break (or something like this, I'm about to finish night shift so my brains a bit fuzzy) which causes the clutch to not disengage the drive.

There are othe things it could be but I don't think it's a pressure plate failure

If it was jammed between the pressure plate and the clutch disc you would know about it. Im pretty sure you would be able to hear it

You say you've been researching but have you searched on here? A common problem with r33's is that the cluth pivot can break (or something like this, I'm about to finish night shift so my brains a bit fuzzy) which causes the clutch to not disengage the drive.

There are othe things it could be but I don't think it's a pressure plate failure

yeh i searched on here, and i found that a lot of people have had trouble with xtreme clutches that have welded to the flywheel? Im not sure but its possible that mine might be an Xtreme button clutch as it doesnt feel like a stock feel at all. One of the remedies I saw for this was start it in first, rev high and drop the clutch and it will break it lose from each other but that doesnt seem to be doing anything. the other option was to put the car in first and rock it back and forth from outside the car, but i dont have another person here to help me do that, and the car launches forward in first so if i have the handbrake on it starts to squeel as its trying to move with the handbrake up.

there is no noise coming from the car other than wen it starts up it first kind of struggles to start, but then once it gets going in first it sounds fine, same as it always does, but i cant get into any gears, and once i get into neutral i have to turn off the car again and start in first to move it again.

Im totally lost on this, im thinking clutch is f**ked and i should buy a new kit, forced to upgrade i guess. Not sure whether to get it looked at by local garage or not to bother and to just buy a new clutch and tell them to put it in.

Edited by Razor36

Ok what I would do is get a second person to lay under the car and watch the slave cylinder to see if it moves when you push the clutch in

If so you have a problem inside and the box will have to come out.

If it doesn't move then check your pedal bracket, master cylinder, clutch line and fluid level. Also bleed te clutch line if possible. This should help you find your problem

Edited by 89CAL

Do you still have force on your foot when you push in the pedal? If yes, the pressure plate is working.

If no, broken pivot ball (I've broken one) like one of the guys said, broken clutch fork (I've broken one before). Master, slave cylinder etc.

I have managed to get most clutch and gearbox problems occur in the 6 years I owned my R32GTR.

Like you said, extreme button clutch, we had the same thing on a mates 180sx, welded it to the flywheel twice.

First time I pulled the box off and pried the clutch disc off the flywheel with a screwdriver lol.

Second time I just started car in first gear and accelerated and decelerated repeatedly with my foot pushed on the clutch. Managed to break the bond between the clutch face and flywheel. No more clutch dumps, high RPM launches after that!!!

Good luck finding your problem.

clutch fork moves when i engage the clutch.

also i checked brake fluid and clutch master cylinder and they are fine.

my clutch pedal is a whole lot more soft than it used to be, so less force when pushed as you mentioned GTRsean, so im thinking therefore i have blown something in the clutch, such as pressure plate or springs popped out. Plus if i had blown somthing in the gearbox then i would not be able to drive the car around in 1st gear at all, which i did today down my street to try to diagnose the problem further.

i think i might just replace the clutch with an exedy heavy duty button as I would rather be confident that the clutch is good in there as the previous owner gave me no details on what clutch it was so it may be a dodgy one that may have problems again even if it is salvagable at all at this point when i get it taken out next week.

nywho thanks for the help guys :)

Edited by Razor36

Ive got this same problem but i have a brand new clutch so its something else...

I'm putting my moneys around the clutch fork/pivot ball area..

Seems to be the real contender for me.... dam thing.

Clutch all the way in and i still can roll if it manages to get into gear,.. which it does depending on its mood blink.gif

Ive lost the feel of the clutch in the pedal but it is moving the slave so.. yea.. New box+other parts for me.

any updates on this but? further help even? haha

cant really help ya mate, i havent driven the car in a couple of days cause im fed up with it lol

going to save up for a new clutch kit and get it installed in a week or two. will know exactly what the problem was when that goes in i guess and then i will update this. let me know how you go with yours

Yeah mate will do,

Well during the week i should narrow it down, might find the problem for you and save the whole buying of a new kit thumbsup.gif

see how we go

well im still thinking its clutch welded/fused to flywheel so might try looking underneath at the gearbox/clutch/flywheel tomorow and might just pry it out if so lol.

well ive had this happen twice now,

after it sat for a while and had new push rod and re adjusted and bled etc.. it worked sweet, good as new..

but back to how it is now.. so yeah, but doing what was done it seems to have prolonged the doom haha

so go figure lol, the plot thickens. to go along with it my box crunches and grinds 70%of the time haha FML

Edited by Luke Vincent

I should get my box off during the week so will be able to take a look at whats going on...

getting new box soon anyways so if its still f**ked with everything thing gearbox wise fine then.. *BIG HAMMER* .. smash smash lol. :P

any word luke? ive booked to get a new clutch put in on wednesday as my garage seems to think ive destroyed it when fusing it to the flywheel =/

Nope havent had time yet, during this week possibly i'll get the box off and have a look, need a mate+his tools from work

But do let me know when you get it done.. i just had a new clutch + flywheel under 1000K ago so im hoping theres no problems there.. lol

• 3 weeks later...

okay.. so got the box of on the weekend finally :P...

to only find that 6 of the bolts on the pressure plate where not done up and pretty well just about to fall out.... tightened them up, put it all back together and done.. clutch is 100%.

odd.. only just had it installed too so weather somehow they came undone or they wherent done up by the shop who installed it.