SAU Community

Gtr Brake Upgrade

Hey guy did some research and couldn't find an answer to my thoughts. Thinking of upgrading my brakes, i've found some brake calipers 6 pot, and 355mm rotors, but the kit is for a bmw.

Question is will it fit the 33 gtr providing I get a custom bracket made for it? Is there anything else i'd have to change?

Sorry for the newbiness.

-thanks.

I've just put on some K-sport 8 pot 356mm 32mm on the front will be testing at the track this weekend, but they feel great and are quite a bit bigger than the Brembos that came off ( which I will sell SiR RB , pm me ) good up grade for around $2400rrp but I think there might be a Group buy in the pipe line, keep an eye out ..

The main thing you have to remember with brake upgrades that 50% of people know very little about is brake bias.

Your car from factory has a certain amount of brake force sent to the front and sent to the rear. If you then suddenly throw a set of brakes on the front or on the rear that throws this balance out way to much you will have problems.

So while that kit for the BMW may fit your car with a custom adaptor, what is the actual specs on the caliper? What is the total surface area of the pistons? There is a lot to it and a lot of good information on the forums so have a bit of a search and a read. I learnt a lot from organing the Wilwood group buy and even though a brake setup might look good in a photo doesn't mean it will suit your vehicle and needs.

yeah it's not as simple as 'yes it'll fit with adapter'. what offset, bore and PCD are the rotors? if they are not the same as your hub and caliper offset then you're screwed (though you can offset the caliper to some extent). Also, is the caliper radial mount or lug mount? if it's lug mount it might not be possible to mount it. radial mount will be better and easier but again you need to work with the rotor offset and get the caliper mounted properly. it's not something you can just guess or do 'by eye'. if it's not perfect things will go wrong.

There are literally dozens of brake upgrade options made just for GTRs. why not buy one?

of the top of my head I can think of 5 companies that do F40 and F50 brembo upgrades with 324mm, 330mmm, 355mm or 370mm rotors. There are 2 or 3 options from stoptech. There are big brembo 6 and 8 pot kits again from 355mm up to 380mm rotors, there are K-sport, bok-choy, D2, JJR and whatever other name they are stamping this week onto cheap chinese/taiwanese brake kits again with anything from 324mm up to 355mm+. Then there are Trust kits both with trust branded calipers and alcon calipers, there are endless kits of about 4 different types with various caliper and rotor choices, there are project Mu kits again in many types, there are half a dozen different AP racing kits (at least) and a number of options from Alcon too.

All of which come with the right offset rotors, the right size and length lines, the right caliper mounts, pads and are sized correctly for your car. why buy a kit for another model car? it's a false economy.