SAU Community

R34 No5Th/reverse

Hello all,

Having a 2000 r34 25GT (Non-turbo) - (also being a first car [P-Plater] i tried to manage to take my time in choosing a well-maintained, clean skyline)

trying to reverse out of work 2 days ago, put it in reverse it wouldnt move - as if the clutch was in fully and gravity was doing it's normal thing (no grinding, rattling or strange noises)

after putting it back into neutral, pumping the clutch and trying again thinking it might not have fully been put in it's almost as if there is a wall stopping the shifter from putting it into reverse, or 5th.:huh:

handed the car over to the mechanic to switch over some new brake pads and front discs, got him to check externally and couldn't see any damage or not debris stopping the shifter from above the centre consle..

basically coming to the point where they've got to drop out the gearbox and have a look internally to find out whats wrong with it.. (quoted to cost me anythign between 1-3grand) which unfortunatley i do not have.. :(

curious to know if anyone else has had similar problems, ive had a little read up on a few peoples issues on other sites (loose linkages/shifters or selector issues) and costs of these issues to fixed.

any help would be greatly Appreciated!!

:thanks:

It will have to come out, i would say a broken/damaged selector fork. If you can pull it out yourself and get it to a gearbox rebuilder you'll save a packet.

If it is a selector, they are pretty cheap and really only requires to take the housing off the gearbox, and very little more. Knock out a few roll pins slide out the selectors, put the new one in etc. If you had a little mechanical confidence you could easily do it yourself. the reverse/5th selector in that box should be 32819-36N10, i would be suprised if nissan wanted more than about $120.

If it is anything more, just buy another box as they are basically the same as R31 S3, RB20DET, RB25DE boxes etc... and everyone knows how cheap they are. just put your switches & speedo drive into one of those boxes and on your way.

It will have to come out, i would say a broken/damaged selector fork. If you can pull it out yourself and get it to a gearbox rebuilder you'll save a packet.

If it is a selector, they are pretty cheap and really only requires to take the housing off the gearbox, and very little more. Knock out a few roll pins slide out the selectors, put the new one in etc. If you had a little mechanical confidence you could easily do it yourself. the reverse/5th selector in that box should be 32819-36N10, i would be suprised if nissan wanted more than about $120.

If it is anything more, just buy another box as they are basically the same as R31 S3, RB20DET, RB25DE boxes etc... and everyone knows how cheap they are. just put your switches & speedo drive into one of those boxes and on your way.

Thanks for the info Webber, hopefully within the next few days ill have a chance to look into it and let you know how it went.!

• 2 weeks later...

okay i've gotten word from the mech, and unfortunatley for me it's not a good sign.

upon draining the box metal shards/debris was mong the oil, ballbearings need to be redone, one of the cogs (didn't ask which one) is badly damaged needing a replacement aswell (phone was cutting in and out of reception so didn't hear details of it fully) and the selectors definatley need to be replaced.

overall looking at 2.6k - with them dropping and installing the box.:down:

still unsure what cause it (general wear and tear or possibly how the previous owner may have driven it)

thought i'd keep you guys updated incase anyone else were to have similar problems and could have a little info into what they could be looking at to repair it.

to be honest i thought i'd rather fix up this box so i'd have a peace of mind knowing that this one wouldnt (hopefully) break down on me instead of purchasing a second hand one not knowing it's history.

Cheers SAU,

:thanks: