SAU Community

Car Lockout?

Simple Scenario:-

* You may have shut your boot & locked your car keys in

* You may be a long way from home

* But you have your mobile on you

* You call a relative at home who locates your spare key with remote attached

* Ask the relative to activate the "Unlock" button on your spare remote (next to their phone) whilst your phone is near the car

* Your car unlocks

Sinister Scenario:-

* You might have a valuable car

* You can be parked anywhere

* Two thieves...

* #1 is near your side and sees your key with remote attached

* #2 goes outside into the carpark with his mobile to wait for car lights to blink

* #1 with his mobile, calls #2 and activates "Unlock" on your remote (near the phone)

* Your car unlocks

P.S. If your battery in the remote is getting weak, press the "Unlock" button whilst placing it next to your neck > you get a couple more goes at it, before battery exchange.

Have you ever dried it before?

I did with my alarm system in the 33 when i locked my keys in the car.

Called up home (35-40 mins away) and got them to do this exact thing. Note that both batteries were fresh, as i had changed both within the week.

All i got was a buzzing through the phone. Didnt unlock. So i gues it depends on how the remotes work.

Scenario 2.. BS.

I have found the Arcing your arm to your neck does seem to work however. It also works for a distance thing. Like if think youve forgotten to lock the car and have already walked away.

Edited by gotRICE?

Yeah, I've done the "Remote against the head" trick, when I was too far away from my car to lock, and too lazy to walk back.

Saw it on Top Gear, never believed it, but had to give it a go...

Mobile phone's use licensed radio frequency spectrum to transmit audio information (sound) encoded into data, and car alarm keyfobs use unlicensed RF spectrum to transmit lock and unlock codes.

So,

- they use different RF frequencies

- they dont understand each other's data

So - it sounds like bollocks to me, but i'm not an expert.

Of course, people without security engineering backgrounds regularly design security systems. These systems are easily cracked because the designers assume that just because they can design a system that they themselves cannot break that it is therefore secure. WEP encryption from Wifi networks is an example of this.

Hey,

You're talking about transmitting the radio-toggle-lock-code over a voice call on a mobile network, right?

Typical car remotes operate at 300-400MHz - way outside the "voice range" (say 0-2.4KHz) that could be successfully transmitted over a mobile phone.

Even if the signal were in the voice range, the compression that operates on mobile phone calls would probably prevent successful transmission.

Cheers,

SW

It works with some of the commodore remotes, my father locked the keys in his hsv, he called my mother who was some 20km away, she pushed the remote and held it up to the phone and it worked. Confussed the shit out of me because I was always told it doesn't work.

My car remote only disables the immobilizer for my car.

The doors uses good old keys, so if I locked my keys in, its either crow bar time or call RAC...

After locking my keys in my car before, I made it a habit to always use the keys to lock my doors so that won't happy again.

Simple Scenario:-

* You may have shut your boot & locked your car keys in

* You may be a long way from home

* But you have your mobile on you

* You call a relative at home who locates your spare key with remote attached

* Ask the relative to activate the "Unlock" button on your spare remote (next to their phone) whilst your phone is near the car

* Your car unlocks

Sinister Scenario:-

* You might have a valuable car

* You can be parked anywhere

* Two thieves...

* #1 is near your side and sees your key with remote attached

* #2 goes outside into the carpark with his mobile to wait for car lights to blink

* #1 with his mobile, calls #2 and activates "Unlock" on your remote (near the phone)

* Your car unlocks

P.S. If your battery in the remote is getting weak, press the "Unlock" button whilst placing it next to your neck > you get a couple more goes at it, before battery exchange.

Interesting find! :thumbsup:

I will give it a go when I get a chance.

Yes remote against the head works...I usually do it on the chin though.

Ahh, the chin; never thought of that! pinch.gif

Obviously too many remotes to the head...:whistling:

chin idea works - been using that for 20 yrs.

It's been theorised that the skull creates a resonant cavity at the frequency used (433MHz) - and that empty cavities work best.

Oops!! Hi Chris :)

As for holding up a remote to your mobile phone... LOL doesn't quite cover it. FKN LOL!!! gets close. You're dreaming.