SAU Community

Hey Old Guys

Hey,

Just wondering whether anyone ever dabbled in Draw-through carb turbo setups?

Its for a little project of mine.

its a Mitsubishi and we shall call him....Roger. :whistling:

Basically its a 1.6L OHC carb engine, and for a laugh id like to whack a little turbo on.

So if you have done a draw through setup before, What carb did you use, did you run an Intercooler and how did it go?

Cheers

Andrew

i was going to run a turbo on a carby motor in a gemini once from all the research i did no one seemed to run a cooler however i cant see why it cant be done. but depends on the boost level

http://turbogemini.com/Blow%20Through%20Carby%20Kit.htm

thats the kit i was looking at for the gemini i know its a different motor but it would be same setup

now that would be a good choice my neighbour has a dato ute that he has turbocharged running a water 2 air and it also decreases lag he starts spooling at about 2000rpm with a standard rb25 turbo on a 1.5L goes hard

i was going to run a turbo on a carby motor in a gemini once from all the research i did no one seemed to run a cooler however i cant see why it cant be done. but depends on the boost level

http://turbogemini.com/Blow%20Through%20Carby%20Kit.htm

thats the kit i was looking at for the gemini i know its a different motor but it would be same setup

Blow though setups are too hard to tune, and the boost pressure tends to blow out seals and the carbs.

hence going a draw though setup, where the carb works as normal (under vacuum)

Water to air still would have the same issue of having fuel pool inside the core.

Blow though setups are too hard to tune, and the boost pressure tends to blow out seals and the carbs.

hence going a draw though setup, where the carb works as normal (under vacuum)

Water to air still would have the same issue of having fuel pool inside the core.

but how? would the fuel only spill/seep back due to the design of the pipe(ie levels angles)

or does it somewhat splash back??

i'de be going superCharge but for benefit of this thread i would like to see the outcome of a Tcharged draw through carby(if it would work)

It probably wont go bang but fuel pooling in the core is a pain.

On a draw through set up the need for an IC is less because you have the fuel absorbing some of the heat as the air is compressed. So your intake temps arnt as hot.

If you run a blow through set up on low boost, most carbs will take it. You might see 30-50% more power on 5-7psi

Any more then that carbs will start to leak and ignition timing is a problem

Running around in old shitters with a turbo is fun tho

If its an old galant/lancer? Tho you might have more fun and easier time putting a 2.6 in it. from what I recall they bolt straight in- just make up a tailshaft

Its a cordia.

So there is the factory turbo 4g62 motor, but I wanna do something a bit different and I also cbf swapping motors and looms and all that crap.

The supercharger idea sounds pretty good too.

Its a cordia.

So there is the factory turbo 4g62 motor, but I wanna do something a bit different and I also cbf swapping motors and looms and all that crap.

The supercharger idea sounds pretty good too.

i reckon having some sort of catch can would help.

i know its not a carby but with our cars some of em have had a catch can installed for the intake side to get all the water condesation away from the FMIC it mainly for cold starts. Idea??

Draw through means the carbutettor is in front of the turbo, blow through like your setup on the RB25, but replace your throttle body with a carby.

Turbocharged carby motors confuzzle me... Like if you are using a draw-through setup, how does the turbo go having to compress fuel as well? Would the fuel not have a tendency to pool everywhere, regardless of if you have an intercooler or not? And is it not rather counterproductive having the carby creating a pressure drop and then the turbo trying to increase the pressure? And if you are using a blow-through setup (mute point in your case, but thought I'd bring it up anyway), wouldn't you be running your engine extremely lean at high boost? Considering carby's would apply the same amount of fuel to 0psi as they would to 10psi?

wouldn't the fuel going through the turbo and piping cool it a little bit any way?

Are you worried that a IC would cause the fuel to cool too much and drop out of the air? I've of heard that being a problem with (v8) cars with long runners and bonnet scoops cooling the runners which makes the fuel drop out of the air.

Mitsi Cordial with a carby and a turbo it's going to make huge power no matter what you do so I wouldn't bother with an IC. It's still going to be a hoot! :P Just get a top mount turbo that plugs almost straight into the TB :D

Turbocharged carby motors confuzzle me... Like if you are using a draw-through setup, how does the turbo go having to compress fuel as well? Would the fuel not have a tendency to pool everywhere, regardless of if you have an intercooler or not? And is it not rather counterproductive having the carby creating a pressure drop and then the turbo trying to increase the pressure? And if you are using a blow-through setup (mute point in your case, but thought I'd bring it up anyway), wouldn't you be running your engine extremely lean at high boost? Considering carby's would apply the same amount of fuel to 0psi as they would to 10psi?

You use a rising rate pressure reg to keep the fuel pressure up to the carb.

The turbos dont mind the fuel, same as a WMI setup really.

if your doing a cordia get the 4g4 engine , its a 2.4 and it comes out in fwd configuration.

will certainly help wake up the cordia, actually it will more than likely tear out the front of the car with the weakened cordia from all the rust they were famous for