SAU Community

Running

Birds

Running is great workout to promote muscular development, improve blood circulation system and make heart and lungs healthy. Running improve coordination. boost stamina and prevent from hypertension, obesity and depression.

• 9 months later...

So I participated in the 12km run for the Perth City to Surf yesterday.

I ran the whole way, with a time of 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Out of 11,173 people for my particular event, overall I came 4604, my gender place was 1321, and for my category of female 30-39 years I came 388th

Not bad for my first ever time at running 12km!

:)

Well done, running just under 6 min/km. how often do you run? Most people struggle with anything 6min/km over that distance.

I only just broke past the 5 min/km last week and I usually run twice a week. Although I don't run 12 km often.

• Like 1

Well done, running just under 6 min/km. how often do you run? Most people struggle with anything 6min/km over that distance.

I only just broke past the 5 min/km last week and I usually run twice a week. Although I don't run 12 km often.

Thank you :) I don't run anymore. I used to run 5km a few times a week a couple of years ago, but was told it would interfere with my lifting so stopped. I began running a month ago for this City to Surf, didn't run over 8km when training.

I think I have a natural long distance running ability, as I used to win cross country and the 1500m easily at school.

Natural Ability or not, It's surprising how quickly the body adapts to running if your willing to put in regular efforts and push yourself through the pain barrier :D

I wanted to improve my running and lose a bit of body fat to get ready for a fitness course so I added a 4 km run to my program a couple of times a week for a few weeks.

My times went from

Run times

16:09 to 15:28.. Would probably be a bit faster then that now

This was on a street course.. Running up hills makes a big difference as well

• 3 months later...

Natural Ability or not, It's surprising how quickly the body adapts to running if your willing to put in regular efforts and push yourself through the pain barrier :D

I wanted to improve my running and lose a bit of body fat to get ready for a fitness course so I added a 4 km run to my program a couple of times a week for a few weeks.

My times went from

Run times

16:09 to 15:28.. Would probably be a bit faster then that now

This was on a street course.. Running up hills makes a big difference as well

Hadn't done this run for a few months now..

Managed a 15:08.. No idea how that happened as training has not been anywhere near ideal

That happened to me on my run...the best time I ever set for my 3km suburban was 11:45, after not having run it for months, and previous pb was 11:59.

Maybe running takes a long time to recover from lol

Love to give it a crack these days because I haven't done it for over a year and my leg strength is significantly different from then

• 5 months later...

What's the deal with compression/recovery tights? Apart from looking like a complete muppet. The ASC website has a few articles, some proving a cardiovascular benefit, and others saying they are a complete waste. Unlike a certain other thread, I am pretty sceptical that these things are worth the money. Or just a big placebo effect.

Think you have to ask yourself: regardless of research and benefits, what can this product actually offer you and is it significant? What is missing from you now that you're not getting from your current clothes?

Do you need said cardiovascular benefit? Are you an elite runner chasing that .1% edge on the competition or do you have more to gain by mentally pushing yourself harder alone / adopting performance increases that don't cost you money.

I apply similar logic to supplements. People buy so much shit - wow, like 8 different supplements - to do all manner of things to their body, the benefits of which they aren't really even sure of...or if they've even been proven to work...and they are nowhere near the level where they should be looking for an edge. When someone weaker than me talks about their psyllium husk and flaxseed oil and BCAAs...I just think wow, what a waste of money; this person hasn't even pushed the limits of what they're capable of without this shit; I'm not even that strong by powerlifter standards and this person is taking all this shit while all I do is supplement protein (if I don't eat enough meat).

So honestly, unless they prevent heart attacks or make you perform significantly better and you're already at your limits, I'd rather you be buying them for the muppet look. And if you tell me it's to stay warmer I will tell you to run harder/faster/further!