SAU Community

Running

Birds

That's true, but I do enjoy competing with myself even if it's not on a world stage. I might not share anything in common with Haile (that 56kg bastard runs 5km in the time it takes me to do just over 3km lol), but I don't share much in common with 99% of the population who don't run either ;)

Oh 56kg. Only 40kg lighter than me then. >_<

I guess my point is you still make big improvements if you do a consistant <100% effort & it is easier to find motivation. The odd maximum effort to see how well or otherwise you are doing doesnt hurt - other than if you try it too often. Then you end up tired/unhappy and often as not injured.

Oh 56kg. Only 40kg lighter than me then. >_<

I guess my point is you still make big improvements if you do a consistant <100% effort & it is easier to find motivation. The odd maximum effort to see how well or otherwise you are doing doesnt hurt - other than if you try it too often. Then you end up tired/unhappy and often as not injured.

Yep, training cycles is the way to go , consistently trying to lift your fitness base, going full on 100% will only get you injured and you actually end up going backwards in my experience.

Yep, training cycles is the way to go , consistently trying to lift your fitness base, going full on 100% will only get you injured and you actually end up going backwards in my experience.

Well, this week I've flat out busy and basically only got a chance to work out 1 night this week, and whaddaya know, soreness was pretty much gone!!

• 2 months later...

6kms in less than 30mins is def worth bragging about.

I can barely do 2.5kms in 15mins.

This week im changing my routine.. i want to get ripped for summer therefore will be pushing my self harder to achieve 3km's in least possible time and at least running 3-4 days a week.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

ive only really started running about 9 days ago have done 3 runs (3.58km, 4.3km and 3.53km) as it had been close to 3 weeks since BBall and i need to have some fitness..

but i think the main motivation i got all of a sudden is RunKeeper.. Any of u guys use it?

its an app on iphones that tracks:

distance travelled, maps it out, altitude (i live in a hilly area so good to see. climb = 36m), Pace (minutes per km) etc

and its awesome! haha highly recommend it... ive knocked off 2 minutes on my 3.5km runs went from 19:46 to 17:44 really motivational to see progress.

I went out and bought some running shoes the other day, $220 later. Hopefully can get out for a run tonight for the first time since I started bulking (7 months ago). My blood pressure went up over this bulking phase, so hopefully running will counter it a little bit.

i have no motivation to run unless its some sort of sport. Dont know how you guys do it.

I take my hat off to you.

i am usually like that too.. and usually just play bball (twice a week) and some years i play footy and i do weights a fair bit...

trying to beat urself is great motivation though... plus i had to get new runners recently for uni so wanted to use them..

Whats some good running Shoes?

I've got some Nike Cross trainer's but now im getting into running faster and more often. (8-10km 3 times a week)

Heard good about Asics

ive heard alot of good things about asics too... although i still decided to buy reebok Realflex's..

if you plan on doing a lot of running. you should go to a shop like "the running factory" (a place where they analyse ur step/stride on a treadmill and pick shoes accordingly)

you should try something like them and see what they recommend for your gait.

all depends on what foot type you are.

if your foot rolls in when you stride then a kayano is good as it has built in arch supprt.

but if you bought a kayano when your foot rolls out its only going to make it roll out more.

so then you would need a more neutral shoe that doesnt have arch support.

but yes kayano are a real winner.

i used to work in a sports shop :) shoes make or break your body when it comes to running.

I have shoes that help with my flat-footedness. I think the term is over-pronating? Could be wrong.

I still need proper orthotics though. 12 month waiting period for those on private health insurance, argh.

In about August I was at my peak running fitness, I got a personal best of 5km in 25 mins, was fairly proud of that :)

Cut out most of my running because it was making me lose too much weight, haha.

Thanks guys. Might go have a look at the kayano tomorrow.

5km in 25mins is good man. In my 8-10km fastest is 45. When i first started i was hopeless at running and done most of it walking (1hr 20 lol)

lost heaps of weight tho but now i wanna tone and not lose to much more.

is treadmill running better then on the path running or is it the other way around, i just started out about 2 weeks ago on a treadmill.

My best was 3.7km distance in half hour my breakdown is 10min power walk @6.2kph speed then 10 minute jogging at 8.2kph speed then back to 6.2kph speed for the remaining 10min

Thanks guys. Might go have a look at the kayano tomorrow.

5km in 25mins is good man. In my 8-10km fastest is 45. When i first started i was hopeless at running and done most of it walking (1hr 20 lol)

lost heaps of weight tho but now i wanna tone and not lose to much more.

Been through a fair few sets of Kayano's now (talking several thousands of kilometers) they are pretty much the best running shoe you can get.

If you do a search there is a place in england that sells them online, works out being over $100 cheaper then buying them here !