SAU Community

Im Having A Baby!

Ok so this has nothing to do with having my first kid... Just that since we're having a new baby on the way, we've decided to purchase sensible family car for my wifey to drive... Which leaves my 2004 350GT coupe all mine to do whatever I please... finance allowing that is.

First up is suspension. I've done searches but no-one seems to have the same question as me thats so specific so I hope you all can help.

This year I have a $2k budget... I have choosen to buy one of the following: help me chose!

- HSD HR $1349 (spring rate 12kg (f) and 10kg ® + a set of front & rear sway bars $500 = roughly $2k

OR

- BC Racing ER series $1700 (spring rate 10kg(f) 8kg® + maybe 1 strut bar = roughly $2k

I am not sure really if the spring rates will be a factor. I am not technical enough to know how much this will effect the car. If someone can explain. Also the BC ER series have rebound adjustment so if someone can explain that too, that would be great.

Note: The car weighs about 1500kg and standing weight distribution is almost a perfect 50% front and rear. I will drive it on track 70% of the time and 30% on the road so stiffness is not an issue. I want to know whats best for the track for that budget.

Thanks in Advanced.

Edited by Bourbon Boy

Buy something better from the US for cheap.

What about Buddy Club Racing Spec Damper kit? But thats my whole $2k gone. Worth it?

Anyone have experience with Buddy Club Racing Spec Damper kit on a Skyline? (NOT BC)

Edited by Bourbon Boy

Even though the car is 1500kgs?

And even if I want to use the car for mostly track days?

Yeah rate is too high unless maybe you are on VERY smooth tracks and using slicks. GTRs are over 1500kgs and 8/6 is a good starting point for track. If you're 50/50, and the suspension design is similar to R32/33/34s, i'd say 7/7 should be a reasonable start.

Buddy Club just told me thier premium Racing Spec Dampers are 14kg / 5kg and their a well known brand. Confused here...

Japs have very smooth tracks and IIRC they use spring rate, instead of sway bars, to control body roll.

Try those spring rates out and let us know what you think :thumbsup:

Spring rates are way high imo

Even though the car is 1500kgs?

And even if I want to use the car for mostly track days?

I think those rates are about right.thumbsup.gif

You need to understand that the attachment point of coilovers in the V series, is approximately 2/3rds along the lower arms; therefore, there are considerable leverage ratio's to consider.

The NM35 Stagea shares a similar layout, and while being a touch heavier (100-150 odd kilos) my BC BR's run 10kg/mm front springs and 12kg/mm rears.

They are not the least bit harsh or unpleasant; this is my daily driver and my missus & kid would not tolerate it. I run them on the softest damper setting and they are beautifully controlled with, no banging over bumps etc.

I am also running big adjustable Sway Bars which allows me to get away with the soft damping and still have really positive turn in.

Check out the V-series section for my Whiteline Sway Bar Group Buy, if you want to complement those coilovers, or PM me for any Whiteline product for that matter.thumbsup.gif