SAU Community
  • Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Cam Timing- Rb26

Just got my adjustable cam gears from Just Jap, and will be fitting them over the weekend, looking through a few threads (trying to use the search function incase this has already been discussed in past seven years etc) the basics have been retard the inlet, advance the exhaust. Is there a pretty common degrees that works? I understand engines are different etc, but, the standard cam timing on these engines are identical, and the standard cams are all identical, so surely there is a pretty well recognised adjustment. Car only has -7s and exhaust/filters. It will be going for a PFC and tune soon.

Okay, well my mechanic has no sense of adventure, so they are staying 0 until the dyno (possibly because I am racing him in his 180 tomorrow..) thanks anyway guys

when my car was tuned (stock cams, -7 turbos) tuner told me the inlet liked to stay on 0 and the exhaust got retarded 2 degrees (1notch) and made a tiny bit more top end

Well as it turns out... The front of the exhaust cam is destroyed, so timing could be moving anything upto 15 deg... Explains why performance has been all over the place

when my car was tuned (stock cams, -7 turbos) tuner told me the inlet liked to stay on 0 and the exhaust got retarded 2 degrees (1notch) and made a tiny bit more top end

hmmmm... i'm pretty sure you'll find most people like the inlet moved on a few more degree's than that -should be able to pick up 300-400 rpm better response with the inlet advanced and without really any top end loss

if you've got adj cam gears, i'd have a play, you might have a bunch of midrange you're missing out on :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Retard the exhaust 4 deg and it will be on boost in no time, i'd leave the inlet at 0. You have nothing to loose retarding the exhaust just be sure to reset your ign timing.

I have played around with mine quiet a bit and the difference in lag from 0 to retarded 4 deg is awesome, it is MUCH more responsive but it might/will fall over in the higher rpm.

no, he's right. you retard the exhaust cam, and yeah it makes a big difference. every car is different though but generally I've found with stock cams on a 26 you end up in the sweet spot somewhere between 2-4 degrees retard on exhaust side, and anywhere from 2-6 degrees advanced on the inlet side.

• Like 1

no, he's right. you retard the exhaust cam, and yeah it makes a big difference. every car is different though but generally I've found with stock cams on a 26 you end up in the sweet spot somewhere between 2-4 degrees retard on exhaust side, and anywhere from 2-6 degrees advanced on the inlet side.

retarding the exhaust helps with top end generally, advancing the inlet helps response. I generally go small retard on exhaust but big advance on the inlet. Doing what chrisking666 suggested will work (same power curve but later) but wont have the benefit of the response.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Back from the dead.

I confirmed 300 rpms earlier spool with exhaust retarded -4 deg (CRANKSHAFT degrees), and Intake cam advanced 6 deg (CRANKSHAFT degrees) on a 2.75L stroker w/ BW 8374 EFR .92 turbo with very little if any loss on top end. Gained MASSIVELY from 4k to 7k rpms (no kidding 30+ rwhp across the board). Same boost pressure (20 psi) on pumpgas.

Dyno Cam changes converted.JPG

• Like 1