SAU Community

R33 Gtr Reliability

Hi guys

I've been trolling these forums for a few years now, reading all the threads about "which car should I buy" etc etc etc. Now there's a lot of talk about the RB26 being a high maintenance engine, prone to oil failures, synchro's and turbos blowing.

I want a real world answer to how much these cars cost to run, what the rate of part failures are and what the general experience of owning one was/is like. If I was to purchase one I'd be going for a Vspec 33 - midnight purple of course.

I've always wanted one but I don't want to go in buying one not knowing how much it's going to cost to run. I work in the city and travel by train every day so I generally only drive 2 or 3 times a week so it wouldn't be a daily driver but I do want that ability to be able to walk outside and know it will start first time.

They're generally reliable, I have one and drive it daily.

If you extract more power out of 15y.o motor, it's unknown on how long will it last - that being said, in what manner will you drive in '2-3 times a week'

My current GTR is my 3rd GTR I've owned and not one of them have pooped its motor one being 302rwkw, another is 270rwkw and current one is stock for time being.

Just do oil/filter change every 5000km, replace what is broken, etc... On top of that buy healthiest one you can find and fit in your budget.

Midnight Purple 33r, wise choice as I've got one now happy with it!

Good choice, heaps better than 32, just do it, if you are not mechanically minded, get a mate who is, or even put a shout out on here for someone to go shopping with you. Don't be scared of some mods, turbos for example, a pair of N1s are a reliability mod as much as performance. If you look after them they are fine, it is only if you don't that like any car they will bite, just a little harder than a commodore...

Grant and Ian have said all I would want to say. :yes:

I had a midnight purple R33 GT-R for over 2 yrs, and I can honestly say that I sold it to another man without 1 thing wrong on it; and it never gave me an ounce of trouble either.

It'll give you so much satisfaction whilst you service it regularly.

Thanks for the feedback, certainly have put to rest the doubts I had with these types of cars.

I will more than likely be bringing a fellow SAU member along when I go to inspect. Will be waiting for the right car to pop up though, may take some time.