SAU Community

Silvia Vs. Skyline Vs Rx7

Which car should i choose?

Background:

My first decent cars was a 97 180sx when i was about 19. It was in great nick, with very minor mods (cat back, possible aftermarket suspension). I absolutely loved this car, and felt that it was the best handling car i could imagine. It was just so easy to feel in touch with, driving at it's limit a breeze. I owned a couple of very quick old school rotaries after that. They weren't like nothing else but weren't the best handler. Recently i purchased a really nice R34 gtt, with plenty of mods and pretty decent power.... but it just doesn't feel as pleasurable to drive as my old 180. So, i'm thinking about trying to find something a bit smaller, and i was just wondering if anybody could give me some good advice on which car might be best. I'm budgeting around $20k, and looks are not really a concern for me. It will be used mostly on the street, with handling being my main priority. At the moment my thoughts are:

s13 +mods, s15 +some mods, fd rx7 +some mods, r32 +mods.

How do r32's compare to s13's? Are they very agile/chuckable?

Please try to be as unbiased as possible with your responses, preferably they'll be from experience too. I'm not really interested in "haven't driven either but would definitely go the skyline", etc.

i have owned a s15 and a r32 gtr. they are very different cars, as expected. S15 had a good feel to it regarding handling and mods are cheaper than that of the gtr. however the awd system is a whole diferent story in the gtr as you would imagine and you have a lot more fun through roundabouts and round corners at faster speeds. although you can switch to rwd mode, this still cannot be compared however to the rear-end happy s15 as you prettty much can get the tail out with minimal power - as with most s-chassis.

If you want the car to be similar to the 180sx, i would go the s15 as it is more modern than a s13 and will be a more streetable car than the other choices.

i lent towards rx7 at once stage too, but too unreliable and cost a lot to rebuild as you would know.

The s15 does really appeal to me. Are they really that much different to an s13, especially once a couple of mods are thrown into the equation? An fd with an sr20 would be nice. I haven't really thought about the evo actually. How do they feel to drive? I've just got this innate belief that awd's would understeer.

I have had my s15 for 9 years. Won PCOTY (2002 I think?) no other car under 100k can claim that achievement. A drivers car. Chassis balance is extremely fun. Its a modders dream car. Its also a police defect magnet like no other. Mine has 230rwkw and as my daily I just cant see better value for money anywhere else. They look far sexier than skylines but the rx7 is still a sexier car than both.

I have had my s15 for 9 years. Won PCOTY (2002 I think?) no other car under 100k can claim that achievement.

errm plenty of cars can claim that

Oh yeah perhaps that is true but i was referring to the motor magazine one. I'm pretty sure I read that but my memory doesn't always serve me well.

Thanks for the correction Zebra. Can you list those 'plenty of cars'?

S15s are terrible in the mechanical arena.

Gearboxes are weak as piss, and they make mince meat out of diffs as well.

Thats what happens when you try and fit another gear into the same size housing i guess, you have to compromise strength.

Pity S13/S14 look like poop as they are mechanically much better choices.

PCOTY/BFYB - stuff those motor mag reviews and shit. They mean sweet fk all when you are talking modification.

PCOTY/BFYB - stuff those motor mag reviews and shit. They mean sweet fk all when you are talking modification.

And you just have to look at some of the cars that win those things and your sitting there scratching your head on how they won.

I don't mind the look of some s13's... i think they tend to look better in the flesh too. s14a fronts look the goods but thats about it for the s14 imo. Performance wise would a similarly modded s13 and s15 be any different? I guess not worrying too much about looks (and not minding the look of an s13 anyway), if they were identical performance wise i'd choose the one that's half the price. Chassis wise is their much difference between the r32 and the s13? The r32 is a reasonably light car is it not? I kind of like the idea of starting with a cheap but solid platform then adding what i wish.

I don't mind the look of some s13's... i think they tend to look better in the flesh too. s14a fronts look the goods but thats about it for the s14 imo. Performance wise would a similarly modded s13 and s15 be any different? I guess not worrying too much about looks (and not minding the look of an s13 anyway), if they were identical performance wise i'd choose the one that's half the price. Chassis wise is their much difference between the r32 and the s13? The r32 is a reasonably light car is it not? I kind of like the idea of starting with a cheap but solid platform then adding what i wish.

s13 and r32 (gtst) are very similar handeling wise , the slightly longer wheelbase is noticable and the front suspension is slightly harder to modify . S chassis versus each other , the s15 is definately better than an s13 , thanks to wheelbase/suspension geometry , best bang for buck is the s14 s1 though (mainly because of its lack of pretty)

• 3 weeks later...

R32 gts-t's can be picked up for a fair bit less than an s15 or an RX7... This would leave you more money to modify the handling. With a good set of coilovers, strut braces, decent wheels/tyres and a hicas lock bar I think you will find it to be a very fun car!

*Edit - I know you said looks aren't important but s13's are not a nice looking car... they look really aged imo:

Eeeekkk...

Nissan_13_silvia.jpg

Edited by r32line