SAU Community

Looking For Car To Replace My R34Gtt

R34 Sedan

An old M3 could be worth a look, although I think I'd have to be pretty carefull, and only consider one with full BMW service history.

Right now I don't know what the hell to do.

Paul

If you're in Sydney, and if you ID an apparently great example of a '98-'99 M3, I can accompany you to either...

* BMWise at Artarmon where George will put it up on a hoist and examine the car at your cost (worthwhile) or

* BMV Engineering at Taren Pt where Massimo will do the same (including pulling down DME fault code history)

Examples...

* George gave our current 530i the seal of approval

* Massimo examined an M3 which he explained, "We can get a better one"

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is your complaining about wait for parts and then in the same post want a BMW or the like, there will be a wait on BMW parts as well

I use to work for Porsche and was always waiting for parts

Here's my "unbiased" recommendation: Stagea! In the s2 C34 model, an AWD with manual is available but if you want RWD it's auto only. Plenty of headroom, and if it's still not enough just throw in some GTR seats.

Oh, and most of your RB25DET Neo parts go straight into the s2 as well - same engine.

... im with nick ... :)... well sort of id go an Autech Stagea RS260- with R33 GTR running gear - theyre **HOT** !!! ... :) ...

If you're in Sydney, and if you ID an apparently great example of a '98-'99 M3, I can accompany you to either...

* BMWise at Artarmon where George will put it up on a hoist and examine the car at your cost (worthwhile) or

* BMV Engineering at Taren Pt where Massimo will do the same (including pulling down DME fault code history)

Examples...

* George gave our current 530i the seal of approval

* Massimo examined an M3 which he explained, "We can get a better one"

Hi Terry,

If I decide on an M3, I'd like to take you up on that offer.

I live on the Northern Beaches, and would prefer to do it at BMW Artarmon.

Thanks again for the offer.

Paul

The problem is your complaining about wait for parts and then in the same post want a BMW or the like, there will be a wait on BMW parts as well

I use to work for Porsche and was always waiting for parts

Yes your right I am complaining about waiting for parts (from severe accident damage, none of which were my fault).

The R34 has spent a total of about 6 months off the road, all due to severe accident damage (and waiting for parts) that was not my fault.

The problem with imports is they DO NOT hold ANY SPARE parts in OZ.

I know BMW probably don't hold all parts in OZ, but they do hold stock of the more commonly used parts.

The R34 is a daily driver and I just can't have it constantly off the road due to other peoples negligense, I've lost my job and am now unemployed all because f**kwits on the road don't know how to drive. It's a f**king joke.

I'd be really happy with the R34 if cocks would stop running in to me.

Thanks

Paul

Rwd, aus delivered and 30k max will pretty much narrow your search down to falcodores of different flavours and mercs. Have you ever driven a wrx sti from 04 or 05? I've only driven a wrx and it seemed pretty punchy for stock. Apparently the sti's are another world again.

Have a mate with a club spec who says he doesn't have to change his driving style at all when it rains, it's just full of grip. Sti's are a sports car too, unlike most of the other options which are tricked out family cars.

Edited by Galois

+1 for xr6t or hsv, maybe even monaro. It really depends what you want out of them but for a cruiser with grunt they fit the bill perfectly. And you'd be getting one with new car warranty still if you spend 25-30k and shop around.

OP with your luck id be making sure you take the hire car option with your insurance company.

+1 for xr6t or hsv, maybe even monaro. It really depends what you want out of them but for a cruiser with grunt they fit the bill perfectly. And you'd be getting one with new car warranty still if you spend 25-30k and shop around.

OP with your luck id be making sure you take the hire car option with your insurance company.

Yep I think I'm looking at a WRX STI or possibly a Liberty GT.

Not sure the insurance hire car option is really worth it. I had it once before but it only covered me for 2 weeks. After a decent accident it takes a lot longer than 2 weeks to have the car assessed and repaired etc.

Paul

Not so keen on a Ford (although that Turbo 6 is one hell of an engine) or Holden, I don't do much cruising/freeway driving, most of my driving is around Sydney metro. The R34 with it's sway bars and Tein Coil overs handles like it's on rails (in the dry that is) and is a good couple of hundred kilos lighter than a Ford or Holden, I doubt they'd keep up in the back streets or a windy road which is what I like.

Paul

Drove a liberty gt last year in the pouring rain, felt like the r34 did in the dry, it was just so planted, pretty quick too. Felt like I was driving on ice taking the gtt home afterwards.

Liberty is a great car - much, much, much more refined over the Impreza.

Yeah maybe I can try and find the Liberty 'tuned by STI' it's not a true STI, but still a dam good car, and as you say much more refined.

I dont see the bad thing with aussie cars?

support your country! be a bogan!

I know plenty of XR6t's that can go well around corners and would beat a few here at Wakefield/EC.

an old work mate bought an ex highway BF mkII - under 20k. spent just under 5k

ran low 11's all day.

sold it 2 years later for 25k!

Id love an XR6t as a daily.

you can pick up cheap BA's for 12k or so.

just cause its aussie, doesnt mean they are shit.

sadly though, my needs will change and my next car will be either a diesel colarado, navara, ranger, triton for towing the race car.

Just curious, what's the build quality like on the ba xr6t's? I know the engine/box is good but have heard mixed things about the interior not being up to scratch/things being a bit flimsy etc

I can tell you one thing about what all the magazine/media reports say about the seating position - it does, indeed, suck. You feel like you're sitting ON the car, not IN it. I personally couldn't feel "connected" to the car when I drove one.