SAU Community

Looking For Car To Replace My R34Gtt

R34 Sedan

I can tell you one thing about what all the magazine/media reports say about the seating position - it does, indeed, suck. You feel like you're sitting ON the car, not IN it. I personally couldn't feel "connected" to the car when I drove one.

[Yeah I thnik I'll either keep the line, or possibly look at a Libert GT]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol html fail

If you get a Liberty get a GT Tuned by STi or a 3.0R Spec.B. I believe the non Tuned by STi GTs did not come with a 6 speed manual or Bilstein suspension and as a result many people on ozliberty and club.liberty.asn say that they feel "incomplete" in comparison.

I own a MY05 3.0R Spec.B and my only real complaints are a lack in fuel economy in heavy traffic and the clutch pedal feels extremely weird.

If you get a Liberty get a GT Tuned by STi or a 3.0R Spec.B. I believe the non Tuned by STi GTs did not come with a 6 speed manual or Bilstein suspension and as a result many people on ozliberty and club.liberty.asn say that they feel "incomplete" in comparison.

I own a MY05 3.0R Spec.B and my only real complaints are a lack in fuel economy in heavy traffic and the clutch pedal feels extremely weird.

Yeah I was thinking of the GT tuned by STI.

How does the 3.0R Spec.B compare to the GT Tuned by STI? It's my understanding that the GT has substantially more torque (especially down low)and is therefore quicker, not to mention a lot cheaper and easier to modify for extra power? What are your thoughts?

Thanks Paul

If you are looking for an E36 / E46 M3 and opt to go for the SMG box make sure you get it checked over very carefully. The early SMG boxes were rubbish and aren't cheap to replace at all.

The flip side is you can have the SMG converted to manual as it's essentially an automated manual anyway. The advantage of this is it will have sustained less shock / user abuse than a normal manual if you so choose.

Something a bit left field but have you considered an S2000? RWD, 190+kw, aussie delivered, low weight, handle quite well?

The "Tuned by STi" models have 20kW more than the Liberty GT and 3.0R, so obviously will be faster. The non "Tuned by STi" GT is only 0.1 seconds faster to 100km/h than a 3.0R.

The "Tuned by STi" models are not cheaper. A pre facelift 3.0R can be had for around $20k and a non "Tuned by STi" GT can be had from around $17 but a genuine "Tuned by STi" still go for around $26k

No one really modifies the EZ30 in the 3.0Rs, though I have seen on the internet people turbocharging them and getting around 350kW at all wheels... definitely not cheap to get there. If you really want a modifying platform I would do what most people do and get GT.

For me the GT and "Tuned by STi" where considerably more expensive to insure... around $500 a year more than my 3.0R. I assume this is simply because they are turbocharged. Kinda stupid though, they have identical specifications...

My thoughts if you decide to go down the Subaru path? "Tuned by STi" > 3.0R Spec.B > GT.

My thoughts overall? Get a GT-R (but that's just me :P)

BTW, on the subject on BMWs a guy I work with has been waiting a few months for parts for his E36 318i to come in. You think Ricelines are bad :laugh:

Or an mx5/mr2 plus turbo?

Yeah I don't think the M3 is really a sensible option, I could only afford an E36 which would probably have been thrashed and would cost a fortune to keep on the road, no thanks.

A Honda S2000 could be worth considering, although I'm not sure I'd fit in one with the roof up, maybe I should go and have a look at one and see.

Thanks Paul

Reinforce the back end of your 34, fit towbar and big ass tow ball. They will then cop it big time if they run up the back of you again!!

Evo? I'd get an evo over a subie...

Reinforcing the rear end of the R34 isn't such a bad idea, except I'd have to do the front as well.

In the most recent accident the car in front of me stopped (it was a big f**k off Landcruiser), and I pulled up about 5 feet behind her, she threw it straight in to reverse and floored it (without even being able to see behind her)to try and get a parking spot.

It's compltetely f**ked the front of my car, the bonnet creasaed and popped up about 2 foot, the front mount intercooler now touches the radiater, the fan has been logded in to the radiater, the intercooler, oil cooler, and radiater have all been squashed together. My guess is their all f**ked except for the oil cooler.

Needless to say I'm f**ked off, in my opinion SUV's should be banned from the city and wimon shouldn't be allowed to drive them at all.

Just my usual rant.

Paul

Reinforce the back end of your 34, fit towbar and big ass tow ball. They will then cop it big time if they run up the back of you again!!

Evo? I'd get an evo over a subie...

Yeah an Evo could be another option, although I find them a bit ugly except for the X.

Paul

+1 for evo! my old man has a VE SS and an Evo 8...he reckons the evo is 10x more responsive and has great feel over the commy

both are standard bar custom exhausts/filter upgrades

With the stuff you don't fit into, have you thought about getting an aftermarket seat set on lower seat rails?

I used to play in a band with a guy about your height who did exactly that so he could fit in a WRX wagon.

Might be a thought?

With the stuff you don't fit into, have you thought about getting an aftermarket seat set on lower seat rails?

I used to play in a band with a guy about your height who did exactly that so he could fit in a WRX wagon.

Might be a thought?

+1

As a 6'4 guy in an R33 GTST, stock seats have my head on the roof; 32GTR seats in my car now leaves me a few inches lower :D

+1

As a 6'4 guy in an R33 GTST, stock seats have my head on the roof; 32GTR seats in my car now leaves me a few inches lower :D

Yeah I think that's probably worth looking in to.

Paul

Yeah I think that's probably worth looking in to.

Paul

The good thing is you can probably pick up second hand GTR seats for cheapish; I got my two for $600, and yeah they're a bit dirty with age, but they're still comfy as hell. Really should get them steam cleaned...

Bad luck comes in 3's and you've had 3 major accidents

Keep the R34, you'll be fine now :D

Yeah good point, at least I have a very good panel beater who I trust implicitly. The first accident was a 20K repair job, half the car had to be resprayed, so I paid for the other half out of my pocket and had a total respray, and the paint job shit's all over anything out of the Nissan factory. The cars now 13 years old, and looks better than most cars that are 12 months old. I had a spray painter look at it (my mechanic is also a qualified spray painter) and he could NOT tell it's been in an accident at all.

Not to mention I spent a small fortune modifying it, sway bars, Tein Coil overs, and a bunch of engine mods, it now put's out 360rwHP.

So in short I do love the car and don't really want to sell it (I'm just sick of waiting for import parts).

I've been told the parts will be here in 2 weeks, so hopefully with a bit of luck it might be repaired in a month or so, here's hoping anyway.

Paul