SAU Community

Brain Health Thread

GTR-N1

coke zero is disgusting.

It probably tastes like cancer. A friend who kept drinking coke light had constant headaches, but when i took her on holiday to some fishing village in indonesia that did not have anything but regular coke, that entire week, she didn't get headaches at all.

food for thought eh?

I've heard exactly the same thing where headaches were gone with only diet drinks being the dietary difference.

So. regular soft drinks and exercise rather than diet drinks and no exercise is the go.

A bit obvious but not what people want to do.

^ ^ ^ That one will be straight Nicotinamide.

That will do as a first bottle I think, but next time I'd get the Hivita Stress which has 350mg Nicotinamide + 50mg Nicotinic Acid + extras

The extras can't be overstated because they include choline and biotin which both help your liver to produce more of your own B3 > knock on effect that you won't need as much B3 as months go by.

Anyway, let's see if any mid-afternoon tiredness goes away + feel less stressed + sleep better at night (so long as you don't take the last dose too late in the day) + higher tolerance to pressure etc

• 2 months later...

Insomnia has been brought up on the "Multivitamins" thread > I'll do my best to answer it here, even though there are many psychological causes as well as biochemical.

1) Insomnia Type I:- where one finds it hard to go off to sleep

* l-Tryptophan (S.A.D. powder by Dr Veras) supports serotonin production and is usually taken at night for the very reason that it can cause a soporific effect.

It must be taken away from protein foods or protein supplements eg megamass etc or other amino acids like Tyrosine, Carnitine or Creatine. Why? Because amino acids like tryptophan need to get across the blood-brain barrier unhindered, and other aminos will dilute the tryptophan down.

A giveaway marker is RLS or worry or passive/aggressive behaviour patterns or being quite competitive in nature or needing alcohol for sleep or needing pot to relax.

It therefore should be taken at least 2 hours after dinner or at least 40mins before dinner to aid going off to sleep.

It should also be taken with a complex carbohydrate which would facilitate the crossing of the blood-brain barrier.

Time of action is from 1-4 nights

* Melatonin (Blue Roc brand from Golden Glow is a 5mg sublingual lozenge) is taken an hour or two before bed via sucking under the tongue.

A giveaway marker is that if one is prone to jet lag (after east-west or west-east air travel), get this one.

Time of action is from 1-2 nights

* l-Taurine (Orthoplex Taurine 500mg) is used if one gets agitated easily.

It must be taken 2 hours apart from other amino acids; yes even Tryptophan

Time of action - maybe a week or two

2) Insomnia Type II:- where one wakes up intermittently and REM sleep gets punctuated

* Theanine (by Ultra Theanine 200mg Dr Veras) helps circadian rhythms

Time of action about 1 week

* Vit B12 taken in daylight hours

* GABA (aka Pre GABA by Dr Veras) taken before dinner

* Valerian + Hops + Skullcap taken after dinner

* Bupleurum (aka Stressan by Metagenics) helps sleep via the liver

3) Insomnia Type III:- where one wakes up too early and can't go off again

* Acupuncture via someone who does Traditional Chinese Acupuncture and therefore can diagnose with pulse energy tests across the wrist or ankle > helps with endocrine function, often associated with aging or liver function being at fault

• 5 months later...

My Moment of Madness:-

I took a mental hit on Monday. I even questioned my own sanity.

I set off as usual from the Lower Blue Mtns to my Earlwood clinic, firstly negotiating some speed humps to get onto the highway

> To make the trip more enjoyable in my Forester, I started playing a CD - The Bee Gees to be exact

> Everything went smoothly after getting off the M4 until in the middle of one song, I heard a voice

> It only lasted a moment and I thought nothing of it. It certainly wasn't distinct.

> Then towards the end of the same Bee Gees song, there it was again!

> The voice was muffled and I tried to make sense of how the Bee Gees would allow this voice onto their recording!

> Anyway, I knew the song was about to end and thought, "It'll be over soon - but funny, I'd never heard that dubbed voice before"

> Halfway into the next song and going my own convoluted short-cut way to Earlwood, I hear this voice again!

> Sh!t - WTF is that?

> I bang a couple of speakers and the voice goes away - but just to be sure, I shut the whole unit down

> After I turned the next corner, there it was again > now I'm really going mad (-meaning, insane)!

...and I'm thinking, "This is what a couple of my clients are talking about when they're telling me about their hallucinations!"

> Uh-oh, that's the farkin Tom Tom deep down in the bowels of the centre console >_<

Somehow, it turned itself on (like it did a couple of years ago) spontaneously after going over a bump ie. speed hump.

> Sanity washes over me; even better than a cold shower! + the realisation that I felt thoroughly stupid!

• 5 months later...

Evidence is getting stronger that an efficient way of helping to prevent dementia is physical activity; more so than doing crosswords, courses music and the like. The plaque proteins don't tend to clog the brain as much...

More on this to come...

• 6 months later...

The new DSM-V manual comes out in May.

In it, there will be references to "video gaming addiction" and "Internet addiction".

In this Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, I'll have to check if Internet gambling is also mentioned since I'll be getting a new client for that next Thur.

I must do my own 'reality check' and leave SAU forums for a while! Seeya!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The 3rd most common precursor cause of death is dementia and Alzheimer's.

Dr Bryce Vissel - Garvan Institute says a blood test is 90% effective in forecasting if a person will contract dementia and Alzheimer's before it hits.

1) Would you want to get that test done - especially if you have a relative who's had the above?

2) There is the likelihood of markers like amyloid beta protein and others being negated or removed before they do damage. Thoughts?

3) Insurance companies may be interested in 'reducing premiums if tests prove negative' - or perhaps 'raising premiums if tests prove positive'. Thoughts?

How would insurance companies know? Or do you have to surrender your medical history to them? Can't think of anyone who would say I have Alzheimer's please raise my premiums.

Would definitely get anything done that could prevent or delay the onset of it. This is one of the worst ways to die, not just for you but for your family whom you will spend your final moments not knowing :(

Above a particular age threshold, insurance companies re: life policies can ask...

1) for a medical

2) about smoking history

3) about drinking

4) about cancer history

5) seemingly innocuous questions that have more bearing than what the interviewee thinks

• 1 month later...

Stupid useless information that someone probably gets a PhD over :- "People suffering from Alzheimers are less prone to cancer"

¥%=§}¥>…£%$!!!!!!!