SAU Community

Brain Health Thread

GTR-N1

Shitty foods will make you feel like crap hence affect your neurotransmitters.

I miss the days when I studied pharmacology and toxicology :(

Absolutely correct!

Most precursors (like Tyrosine, Vit B3 etc) are produced in the liver. Try eating too many chips or assess the after-effects of grog and you get what we mean.

Although Vit B12 is produced in the mesenteric tissue.

The brain-gut connection cannot be overstated either.

Inositol, Omega-3 fish oils (EPA/DHA), and regular physical activity are great companions to the health of myelin sheaths that help the brain cells to fire in a more ordered fashion. :thumbsup:

Is there any particular exercises that help with the release of chemicals in the brain or is it purely getting the heart rate up and getting a good cardio work out, also is there any foods that aid the release of serotonin?

The type of exercise that one does Brett does not increase the specificity of what endorphins are secreted over another.

However, to optimise endorphin secretion generally, it is accepted that one (with good metabolism) should do more than 23mins cardio without a break to get the BMR to kick in along with those endorphins. BMR = basal metabolic rate (not to be confused with BMI).

This is why Fitness Fast and others will always recommend 1/2 hour workouts. Contours just wants to be different by saying 29mins hehe...

A case in point:- If a person commits to a half hour workout on a treadmill or cycle machine etc., and gets disturbed by a mobile call halfway through and if the operson answers the phone, and later gets back on the machine to finish off the workout. The computer might say that you've burnt 150 cals (for example). Three hours later, he will probably have not burnt any more cals in a resting state, because he didn't knock off 23 mins straight.

However, if that same person didn't answer his mobile until after the 30min workout, and the computer registers once again, 150cals burnt, three hours later, he would have in fact burnt 10s of cals more because the BMR kicked in. Hope this helps.

To extend BMR and endorphin secretion further, the cardio workout can then be followed by weights.

If a person finds exercise boring, here's a little secret - which shouldn't be a secret at all...

Exercise is not a main heading.

The proper equation is this...

ACTIVITY = MENTAL STIMULUS + PHYSICAL EXERCISE - So, ACTIVITY is the main heading.

There has to be a mental stimulus/fun aspect as well as the physical exercise before enjoyment is reached.

Example:- try doing step exercises without the music or machine exercises without the iPod or TV and for most people the whole process is dreary.

This is why girls love to go walking with a friend so they can talk > the kms pass by without any fuss. But if the friend goes off to Bali with her husband, that girls needs a plan B to maintain interest, such as an iPod; otherwise the girl will probably give up.

I had a patient recently who told me she's had a cover over cycle machine for years > I asked her what she was actually doing when she enjoyed getting on the bike > she said, well, her weight was coming off > I said that wasn't good enough an explanation: so I asked again, what was she doing whilst on the bike > she said you mean watching ACA? > I said exactly; and then what happened? > she said, I then cycled whilst watching Law & Order because it lasted an hour > I asked what happened then? > she said they moved Law & Order from Thur night and she had to take the kids to yaddayadda > the cover went on the cycle machine...

So, before exercise can be interesting, it usually needs to have a mental stimulus as a companion > ACTIVITY

l-Tryptophan helps to produce more serotonin (as a precursor). It's available through practitioners as S.A.D. powder. To enable it to cross the blood-brain barrier, it needs to be taken away from protein (ie other amino acids) and with juice. So it's usually taken at bedtime because it improves circadian rhythms, and any overflow goes up to the pineal gland to produce melatonin.

The dosage is best determined by having the Uni Saskatchewan Hoffer-Osmond Diag Test administered. Otherwise, safety dictates that 0.5 teaspoon with juice at bedtime will give you 100mg. It can be taken safely during pregnancy, but it should be used with caution if prone to migraines.

Vit B3 complex (eg 400mg B3 in a product called Hivita Stress) helps one to utilise serotonin better. This is to be taken in the daytime after brekky &/or lunch only - because it works in tandem with the l-tryptophan.

Comparing products...

Centrum has very little B3 > Blackmore's Executive B Stress has 100mg of B3 > SF88 or Meta B Complex or Tresos B or Stress B Forte have about 200mg of B3 > Hivita Stress has 400mg of B3.

The amount of B3 one requires can be determined by testing as per above; or whether or not one gets hypoglycemia (mid afternoon tiredness + feeling flat on waking); or if there's a history of high LDL cholesterol in your parents (usually the same sex parent); or if you're a girl, that the type of PMT you get is where there are sore breasts at premensis time. These are giveaway markers. Hehe... and some people self-medicate I guess.

These responses from you Terry are 100% spot on. Reading all this brings a tear to my eye :teehee:

The information here outclasses many sources from the internet itself.

A lot of this stuff complements my condition of Diabetes (Type 2) and think it's genetic if I've had since I was 18-19 years old. I take 2 tablets that are glimepiride based, but do you reckon if combined with

pure chromium (100-200mcg per day) will aid in the prevention of hyperglycemia? I rarely encounter hypoglycemia even with my medication and the daily exercise I do. I've always been skeptical about chromium but a recommedation response would be great.

Also do you think it's best to do weights first (anaerobic) then cardio straight after for maximising BMR or other way around? My calculated BMR is approx 3000 calories. BMI is very misleading since it can't determine fat:muscle ratio so I ignore it and not to mention weight scales is in the same category.

Last question which seems to be debatable is whether cardio is best performed on an empty stomach upon rising or does it actually increase chances for targeting muscle breakdown rather than adipose tissue?

Yes, good question I always perform better in my running exercises on an empty even slightly hungry stomach.

I will read your info about the food groups in more depth, thanks terry.

I generally only use those stimulants when I am going into a phase of heavy work or am in serious need of the tunnel vision single-mindedness it seems to give.

They often make me feel a bit disconnected or ultra calm after the initial roughly two hour blast of insane work rate.

Nathan and Gully, you've reached the limit of my knowledge with regard to whether or not one should do exercise on a full or empty tummy. I would have thought that having a nice comfort feeling in the tummy before a morning workout would be ideal. So for me personally, a banana and a little yoghurt would do the trick. I think there are too many variables across a too broad spectrum of people to be able to recommend what's best for a person.

To get BMR to kick in and then extend it, I'd recommend an XS of 23 mins cardio followed by weights.

If one is prone to low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) swings, then again, having a bit of fruit beforehand is good - a bit like what Benny Elias and Martina Navratilova used to do by eating bananas, or all professional sportsmen with regard to "carbo loading" > exertion/sport > followed by protein afterwards

Diabetes II. Resulting from a knock-on effect (- or domino effect)

Primary >>>>>>>>>>>>> Secondary >>>>>>>>>>> Tertiary >>>>>>>>>>>> Quaternary

Instigator >>>>>>>>>>> Hypoglycemia >>>>>>>>> Diabetes II >>>>>>>>> Failing Eyesight, Libido drop, Peripheral Circulation poor, Hot Temper, Autoimmune disorders, Heart issues

See below >>>>>>> Overreactive Pancreas >>>>>> Tired Pancreas >>>>>>>> OMG

Moral: It pays to rectify the Primary Instigator of hypoglycemia to ultimately prevent Diabetes.

There are at least 14 causes of hypoglycemia; about 7 are common and 7 uncommon.

Common ones include low B3 production in liver, low chromium 2 or 3 (- not valency 6 as in the erin brokovich film), Candidiasis (- yeast allergy), overweight via lack of exercise, simple carbo loading (sweets), insufficient dl-phenylalanine production, etc

Google the herb "Gymnema Sylvestre". It's brought good results for people with a failing pancreas. It helps the regeneration of beta cells in the Islets of Langerhans where insulin is produced. I went to a symposium where I learned that insulin is also produced by a gland in the brain, but I'm not sure if Gymnema helps there too.

oops...

better go to wk...

^ ^ ^ He/she (kinesiologist) could be right Rowan.

I'm more suspicious of aspartame aka #951

Aspartame and Acesulphame aka #950 got in under the radar via a pharmaceutical company that was at the time receiving lots of positive publicity with a new antidepressant drug.

The synthetic sweetener called "Equal" is responsible with exacerbation of several forms of breast cancer, and lymphoma. They can also cause Grave's disease (thyroid), hyperglycemic swings (via Beta cells in the pancreas) and Gliomas (the same brain cancer that the famous Aust oncologist Prof Chris O'Brien died from last yr).

The safest sweetener on the market is Stevia (aka Sweet leaf of Paraguay) since it's natural.

FOS (aka fructo-oligosaccharides) is also safe ie. natural.

Synthetics like Splenda, Xylitol and Sorbitol are regarded as semi-safe. Saccharin has been proven to induce cancers in rats - under a cloud still.

Many products try not to label their products with the words aspartame or acesulphame any longer; but to use the additive codes #951 & #950 - bastards!

Also heard that aspartame and similar metabolise the methyl alcohol component as formaldehyde in the retina.

While the amounts in a single serve are minuscule the cumulative effect (daily use over years) will eventually cause a slow loss of eyesight.

Bummer for those thinking they are doing the right thing for weight control to have that sort of long term problem.

Any comment on this effect/is it true?

Also heard that aspartame and similar metabolise the methyl alcohol component as formaldehyde in the retina.

While the amounts in a single serve are minuscule the cumulative effect (daily use over years) will eventually cause a slow loss of eyesight.

Bummer for those thinking they are doing the right thing for weight control to have that sort of long term problem.

Any comment on this effect/is it true?

That's why I always use splenda rather than equal. Splenda uses dextrose, maltodextrin and sucralose (not the best thing) but better than aspartame and acesulfame potassium. There's so much hype between synthetic sweeteners to the point I don't really care. I've had many tell me I will die of cancer if I keep ingesting these sweetener. Sometimes these just remind me of sugar alcohols (xylitol,maltitol, mannitol, glycerol etc.)

I'm already f*ked anyway and I will just maintain my own health through good foods and exercise. It's basically the analogy of a person that gets cancer who's never smoked before and a 60yr old still smoking like a chimmy is perfectly fine.

Our genetics are very unique to every single stimulus so there's the unexpected to occur.

The good thing about sugar alcohols is that they are not digested at all, they just pass through, and they're too big to pass through the small intestine into the blood stream (is this true?)

but if proteins can pass through, i dont see how a 5 carbon sugar alcohol cant. but if they're not digested, then that's a lot of calories saved.

I've always avoided aspartame though, it might be sweet but it also has a very very weird aftertaste.

The good thing about sugar alcohols is that they are not digested at all, they just pass through, and they're too big to pass through the small intestine into the blood stream (is this true?)

but if proteins can pass through, i dont see how a 5 carbon sugar alcohol cant. but if they're not digested, then that's a lot of calories saved.

I've always avoided aspartame though, it might be sweet but it also has a very very weird aftertaste.

Taste like cancer ?

I've never drunk diet drinks, the coke machine at work gave me Zero instead of coke for some reason.

I tipped it in the sink :down:

coke zero is disgusting.

It probably tastes like cancer. A friend who kept drinking coke light had constant headaches, but when i took her on holiday to some fishing village in indonesia that did not have anything but regular coke, that entire week, she didn't get headaches at all.

food for thought eh?

Vit B3 complex (eg 400mg B3 in a product called Hivita Stress) helps one to utilise serotonin better. This is to be taken in the daytime after brekky &/or lunch only - because it works in tandem with the l-tryptophan.

Comparing products...

Centrum has very little B3 > Blackmore's Executive B Stress has 100mg of B3 > SF88 or Meta B Complex or Tresos B or Stress B Forte have about 200mg of B3 > Hivita Stress has 400mg of B3.

The amount of B3 one requires can be determined by testing as per above; or whether or not one gets hypoglycemia (mid afternoon tiredness + feeling flat on waking); or if there's a history of high LDL cholesterol in your parents (usually the same sex parent); or if you're a girl, that the type of PMT you get is where there are sore breasts at premensis time. These are giveaway markers. Hehe... and some people self-medicate I guess.

Terry, I read this and it pretty much perfectly describes my day, crappy in the morning, zombie mid afternoon, but not sore breasts lol.

With that in mind I went and tried to find that Executive stress one (I have a pretty demanding schedule so that seemed appropriate). I couldn't find that but I bought Cenovis Vitamin B-Complex. Only thing is, upon closer inspection is doesn't have as much B3 as the products you have mentioned, but I guess we'll see what happens. Hopefully it makes a difference though!!

Cheers! :)

lol

How much B3 is in the Cenovis? Less than 50mg? Might need multiples...

Timeline of efficacy (at the right dosage) is approx 5-10 days (without interference by simple carbs, alcohol or other recreational drugs)

Cenovis B-Complex

Helps the maintenance or improvement of general well-being.

May help maintain healthy brain and cognitive function.

Helps maintain cardiovascular health.

Supports energy production.

Cenovis B Complex contains 7 essential B group vitamins that work together to support energy production and cardiovascular health. Vitamin B3 is essential for a healthy brain and nervous system, and works with Vitamins B1 and B2 to release energy in the body. Vitamin B1 is required for normal development, physical performance and well-being. Vitamin B6, B12 and Folic acid may help maintain healthy brain and cognitive function. Vitamin B12 is important for maintaining cardiovascular health.

Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Nitrate) 15mg

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavine) 15mg

Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide) 30mg

Vitamin B5 (Calcium Pantothenate) 8mg

Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 5mg

Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 10mg

Folic Acid 150mcg

Says to take 1-2 a day, sound about right Terry?

^ ^ ^ Sorry, but I'd let your fingers do the walking and contact a local naturopath who can supply you with one of those brands that has 200mg+...

Then I'd take one of those + one of the Cenovis that you have already each day. (30mg is too benign to improve or stabilise insulin resistance I'm afraid).

Brain health eh?

I opened the topic, saw big words then my brain died - barely struggled to type this reply..

God damn Uni kills my brain cells -_-

Will report back when I've read the topic thoroughly, without assignments due...

^ ^ ^ LOL yeah I remember that 'Institution' hahaaa

Biochem is easier if there's a Pathways chart in front of you...

And you've just prompted me to take a pic of a couple of sections of the chart; to be posted below soon V V V