SAU Community

R34Gtt Vs Evo7/8

Hi all,

So I have had my R34GTT (stock turbo, full 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, cold air box, 12psi boost controller, Walbro pump, Nistune ecu, coilovers, short shift kit etc) for a year and love it to death. Am reading more and more stuff on how good the EVO is - particularly the harsh 6.5 TME, so...am thinking if I should get an EVO7 5 speed when prices come down a bit...

Now before anyone starts flaming, I have sat in an Evo3 and it was quite quick, as well as cheap n nasty, but the A-B get-go would leave even a GT-R of the same mods with some bit if embarassment even though it would be close. The seat-of-the-pants feel in the EVO is more punchy, I have also driven a stock 99 2 door WRX STI and that was nice, the AWD is awesome, but then I would take an evo over an sti any day..

Has anyone in here owned an EVO 6 and up and a Skyline GTT / GTR or even GTS-t??? If so, what are your experiences and comments?? 2 completely different cars I know, I like everything else in the R34GTT (gorgeous looks, rwd, interior, stronger built gearbox, engine, driveline etc) - but then again the similarly modded EVO is performance up another level?? Or not really so - I'm comparing with stage one mods to both cars as above - first paragraph.. Please give feedback -negative and positive - I'm after a sharp n quick STREET car which can shame audi RS4s off the lights etc..now those audis ARE quick..

cheers

Ron

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EVO 7/8/9 are so far ahead of a GT-t it's not funny.

You are comparing the flagship model of Mistu to a middle range model of Nissan.

EVO vs GTR, not GT-t.

EVO's are one of the fastest street cars for dollar spent getting around at the moment IMO. They are blisteringly fast to 120-140km/h.

Get the EVO - tune/boost/exhaust you'll see 200awkw, thats using the factory ECU as well.

Evo any day of the week over a RWD platform skyline.... However it depends on what YOU like. RWD VS AWD.

Would I take a GTR over a EVO?? no way... Are they faster in certain situations? Yes.

I gave up my Evo for the simple issue of trouble.. It is a difficult car to drive sedately and for me required far too little effort to get into way too much trouble. The turbo comes on with little to no throttle and speed pickup is blisteringly fast. For reference, a rolling start from 50kph my next to stock evo 4 vs a friends well developed SR-S13 me in 3rd and him in 2nd I would still all out haul away from him. We pushed the envelope further to see just how ridiculous it was, the same could be expected from 80kph with the evo in 4th and the silvia in 2nd OR 3rd. Make note that my evo only had a dump pipe on it and no other mods, 3rd gear also ends at 140kph so 80 in 4th was a 'little' out of the optimal band.

I moved to a R33 GTST for the simple factor of price and something to do.. The skyline will more so be the track/weekend car that I found too hard to do with the evo. I honestly paid a pittance for my next to perfect 33 at the time, so given the opportunity to spend 20g again Im pretty sure I know what I would pick.. To my own detriment.

For experience speaking sake, if I were building a 700hp car I would buy a GTR. And LOL @ Evo-curious, classic!

Man u guys makin me hate my gtt, surely the evolution cant be THAT much better, im comparing the evo against a stock 2door sti that i have driven, the sti was fun driven to redline, but quick?? So and so not impressiveively quick..

What u guys sayin bout the evo is exactly what i want-boost and speed at the slightest touch of the throttle.. Bloody media n hype everywhere and i end up with the 34, it is a fantastic car in all respects but ahem- i want the evolution now..have driven a stock r32 gtr with full exhaust as well- not impressed at all, felt so like a stock gtst except for off the line pace..hardly any seat-of-the-pants feel at low-mid rpms which is what im after..

Are we goin to see an evolution of evolutions in the performance car community sometime soon??

And gtstscot, building a 700hp car, why not go a supra, much easier and better platform for the numbers- except the gtr has the superior awd and better aftermarket support.. But evo for me as its guna be a street ride, no big power numbers, shame they dont look good and is the 4g63t as reliable as an rb?? I also read somewhere that evos can be thirsty driven hard..

Evo any day of the week over a RWD platform skyline.... However it depends on what YOU like. RWD VS AWD.

Would I take a GTR over a EVO?? no way... Are they faster in certain situations? Yes.

Why spend money on your GT-R then, Lol sell it buy a 6.

I've never been in a 4 but my 6 is not light switch like at all .

Basically all the twin scroll (4-9) 4G63Ts use the same basic wheel set and its mainly the turbine housing size Ralliart and MHI played with . As was mentioned in the other thread the 4s get the smallest 9cm turbine housing , all 6s a 10.5 one and it varied in the 7s and 8s on which variant in the series you had .

The 9's up'd the anti a little with a slightly beefier center section and it uses a larger diffuser and compressor housing on the cold side . AFAIK the same TD05HR turbine and 16G6 compressor wheels though .

Just so you know what to search for the Evos fit into four groups , 1-3 , 4-6 or CP9As , 7-9 or CT9As , and the current 10 .

Aside from the larger Cedia based body shell the CT9As have more bolt on stuff available for them ie exhausts where say the CP9A or 6 you have to chase longer for some aftermarket bits .

For a bit of future proofing the Evo 7 is possibly a good place to research because they were the first of the CT9As and will be cheaper than an 8 or 9 .

I bought an Evo 6 because I prefer the styling and an immaculate example came up for 16.5G . It's a 99 model with 135 k so not super fresh - still good for me though .

You will not get a RWD Skyline off the line as quickly as any Evo from 4 on if both are standard - not a hope in hell . By the time you find traction the Mitsy is gone and they pull like buggery and dont let up until I don't know how far up in 4th . I think its very hard to find as much fun for the money in anything out there .

BTW I know for a fact that with larger injectors and fuel pump , larger 10.8cm turbine housing on the factory turbo , aftermarket hot side intercooler pipe , good 3" exhaust and tune 240-250 at the wheels is straightforward on E85 . This is on an unopened Evo 7 . No porting/no aftermarket cams/rods/pistons/headgaskets/manifolds/or dump pipes .

Now you can get 250 at the wheels in an R34 GTt but traction is an issue if you want to use it . People tell me that handling and braking are not in the same league but it depends what you want from a car .

Some want something where you can hang the tail out and opposite lock it down the road . Some want more interior space and something that they can do long distance hops in a get out reasonably relaxed . Evos don't fit the same description because they are a bit harder edged and I think you'd have to do silly things on the street to make one skate and drift all over the road .

You will find the limits of a RWD Skyline long before most Evos particulary if the roads a greasy or wet . I don't intend to go looking for limits in my Evo because they exist at higher speeds and if you lose it there the crunch is a lot more lethal . Thats why the mega accidents often involve AWD turbo cars because the limits are higher .

Anyway both cars are capable of being driven way beyond legal speed limits but the smaller nimbler AWD one allows you to get the rush and your rocks off without going warp 9 .

If really high speeds are your ask then like most cars you can use larger cams turbos etc that make them pull up to 8k but you will lose the lower down punch built into these cars . You'd also need better rods pistons clutches etc but its all readily available . As is taller ratio diffs and alternative gearbox ratios .

The MiVec or VCT 9 engine goes into E4-8 and all you need is the extra electronics to drive the inlet cams actuator .

Anyhow your call . Search for the Evo 6 vs Evo 9 U Tube vid .

A .

Evos are quick cars for sure - A to B nothing would touch them on a street IMO, its a shame they have a cheap ass Lancer shell and crap interior..

GTR is not my idea of a daily at all, particularly a 32 GTR, 34 perhaps?...EVO can be peddled around quite comfortably, small, economical but fast when you need them to be...you cant really compare a small capacity, twin turbo 6 cylinder like the RB26 with a comparitively large capacity 4 cylinder as found in the Evo...

My brothers Pulsar GTiR, whilst no Evo, is another great example of small 4 cylinders AWD cars, bolt on suspension mods (swaybars, springs/shocks, camber/castor kits - sorted out the understeer issues) and performance mods (cooler, zorst, boost up), making close enough to 200awkw, it is a totally different car to drive compared to a GTR, punchy and a lot of fun to throw around...i'd have a properly modded one in a flash.

Evos are quick cars for sure - A to B nothing would touch them on a street IMO,

I would say there would be quite a few modded GTR owners who would disagree with that, myself being one..

My brother has a heavily modified Evo 6.5 and me GTR 33, the Evo bounces off the line quick for sure, but with such short gears i pass him in second when he's near the end of third.

Having said that, for tight course events like have here the Evo will be quicker.

anyway sounds like you'll moving over to the Evo website soon spank.gif

Evos are quick cars for sure - A to B nothing would touch them on a street IMO, its a shame they have a cheap ass Lancer shell and crap interior..

LOL go and jump in a evo 7-9....You cannot tell me there interior feels cheap and have a cheap lancer shell. Recaros, momo steering wheel and guards and a stance that just go; BAM im a f**king evo.

Evos are a fantastic car, I used to own an evo 7 and two of my mates own evo 8 MRs. They are absolutely fantastic street car, scary quick in the mountains and super fun on the track. The ACD in the 7-9 range with the AYC is unreal, the car is so hard to make loose grip and its scary how quick you can qo through corners. My 34 GTR isnt as quick through the corners as my evo was.

I was considering getting an EVO 8 MR after i sold my previous car, my 34 came up at the right price and I always wanted one, so i grabbed it.

Tuning wise.... Full exhaust, hard pipe induction kit, boost controller will see 220kw atw. Add injectors and E85 theres 255kw. (example is on Two evo 8MRs, Evo 7 will be a little less and evo 9 will be a little more). Also they have the dual tune capability so a tune for 98ron and E85 in the standard computer and changable with the flick of a switch.

They are light and really quick with unreal handling. There isnt much you need to do to them, to have a really quick street car.

I would without hesitation reccomend an evo to anyone that was considering and I have switched a few STI fans to them after reccomending them and the test drive was enough for them to switch. As stated there really isny much out there that can compete with the ACD and AYC in the CT9A range.

And gtstscot, building a 700hp car, why not go a supra, much easier and better platform for the numbers- except the gtr has the superior awd and better aftermarket support.. But evo for me as its guna be a street ride, no big power numbers, shame they dont look good and is the 4g63t as reliable as an rb?? I also read somewhere that evos can be thirsty driven hard..

The RB is a cancer cell of its own in comparison to a 4G63, Im surprised you even compared them in terms of reliability.

And yes the Evo's are thirsty.

Go and test drive one at a dealer and see about a trade in if your serious.

GL