SAU Community

HKS Intercooler kits

Over the last few months while saving I have narrowed my choice of an intercooler down to the HKS Type S kit or the HKS Type R kit for my R33 GTSt. My current power target is to get around 200 rwkw but could possibly be aiming at achieving 230-240 rwkw in the future with the help of a HKS 2540 or more than likely a similarly sized Garret turbo, Power FC, Injectors, fuel pump etc, etc, but these upgrades are just a possibility. Anyway here are my questions.

If I purchased the Type R kit and never went ahead with upgrading to a larger turbo etc, would the thicker core of the Type R have an adverse affect on engine response over the Type S core at this power level (around 200 rwkw’s)?

What are any other advantages with the Type R core over the Type S apart from the thicker core size (greater ability to cool air)? Lower pressure drop over the core? I am a big believer in matching the right size intercooler for the right power level and that bigger is not always better, in my case would the Type R be overkill for my needs, remembering that I may at some stage be aiming to get 230-240 rwkw’s?

Not having seen both kits before, are the intercooler piping designs identical (air exists out of core at passenger side, enters engine bay, goes over radiator and then in throttle body)? Are the pipes of the same diameter (another question related to engine response)?

Finally, aluminium or mild steel piping in regards to rust. Im not particularly worried about the difference of the two piping materials on absorbing heat from the engine bay, I think the difference between the two would be minimal. But am concerned if there are any problems with the mild steel rusting etc, probably not too much of an issue but I though id ask anyway.

Hmmm, that’s about it! Any help or input on the topic would be much appreciated.

here are pics to my hks type S intercooler install, firstly the piping goes nowhere near the engine bay as they plug back into the original turbo and inlet manifold pipes (well atleast is for the R34)

http://www.pbase.com/franks/07dec02_fmic_install

i have 199.5rwkw with the following modifications on c&v's dyno in sydney

-0.8bar boost on stock turbo using apexi avcr

-powerfc tuned by c&v

-hks typeS front mount intercooler

-stock air box with high flow panel

-trust dd cat back exhaust with hiflow cat

-hks front and dump pipes

so your target power is pretty spot on with your planned modifications and similarly with mine as i plan on running about 1.1bar through a 2530 turbo and im hoping for around 230rwkw...

a thicker i/c core helps reduce pressure drop across the core so your throttle response should be better id imagine.

when evaluating the performance of intercooler systems you can really only evaluate thermal and pressure efficiencies. ie. how well the i/c system reduces the compressed air temps from your turbo back down to ambient temperatures and how much pressure it loses to cool that air down.

afaik, the taller the core the greater thermal efficiency it has, the thicker the core the better pressure efficiency it has. so, if the difference between the typeS and R is solely thickness, then overall, the R would be better due to its better pressure efficiency. as for it matching the power levels your after im sure both would do equally aswell as each other.

i didnt think any interooler piping comes in mild steel?

In reguards to rust, i have had the steel pipes from the type-s kit installed on my car for the past 4-5 months now and there isnt a spec of rust anywhere inside or out. The pipes are coated or painted with something aswell so its not just bare metal, seems pretty good to me

Thanks Frank’s very helpful response and nice pictures! I am pretty sure I have seen the Type S kit for the R33 and from what I can remember the return goes through the bay not next to the cooler. I guess the R34 design is different, I could be wrong though.

I guess I was worried about the larger volume of the core rather than a difference in pressure drop that may cause an issue with response. As I would assume the difference in any pressure drop between the two cores would be minimal (could be wrong here as well).

Thanks Meshmesh I will have a look at those. I couldn’t really find was I was looking for with some searches I tried before, maybe these will give me a clearer idea.

Ah yeah, not mild steel, just steel piping… oops…

here are pics to my hks type S intercooler install, firstly the piping goes nowhere near the engine bay as they plug back into the original turbo and inlet manifold pipes (well atleast is for the R34)

http://www.pbase.com/franks/07dec02_fmic_install

i have 199.5rwkw with the following modifications on c&v's dyno in sydney

-0.8bar boost on stock turbo using apexi avcr

-powerfc tuned by c&v

-hks typeS front mount intercooler

-stock air box with high flow panel

-trust dd cat back exhaust with hiflow cat

-hks front and dump pipes

so your target power is pretty spot on with your planned modifications and similarly with mine as i plan on running about 1.1bar through a 2530 turbo and im hoping for around 230rwkw...

a thicker i/c core helps reduce pressure drop across the core so your throttle response should be better id imagine.

when evaluating the performance of intercooler systems you can really only evaluate thermal and pressure efficiencies. ie. how well the i/c system reduces the compressed air temps from your turbo back down to ambient temperatures and how much pressure it loses to cool that air down.  

afaik, the taller the core the greater thermal efficiency it has, the thicker the core the better pressure efficiency it has. so, if the difference between the typeS and R is solely thickness, then overall, the R would be better due to its better pressure efficiency. as for it matching the power levels your after im sure both would do equally aswell as each other.

i didnt think any interooler piping comes in mild steel?

What kind of front bar is that Franks?

Did you have to cut much away from it?

Thanks meshmesh, saves me posting it again. To answer Nismo_AU's question, for 240 rwkw you should aim for around 20 litres of intercooler and pipework. That is if you want to maintain standard type response. That means;

**600 X 300 X 65 tube and fin intercooler

**63 mm pipework from turbo to intercooler

**75 mm pipework from intercooler to throttle body

Note that, in order to achieve 20 litres with these dimensions, you have to use the 120 degree bend at the throttle body style of pipework.

We only use aluminium pipework, weighs heaps less than mild or stainless steel and is cheaper. Aluminium heats up faster but it cools down quicker, so I don't think there is any real difference there.

Hope that helps

abobob, that is a Top Secret copy (not a very good one). Supplied and fitted by Carmate about a year and abit ago. drive-in and drive-out $800.

cutting? hahah only a slight bit on both sides of the core where the pipes exit the core....and i stuffed it up too :P im not the best with an air saw - but im getting better :D:) :)

goodluck nismo_au