SAU Community

S A U N S W - Wakefield Trackday, Number 3 For 2011

N1GTR

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I fork out my hard earned cash for the entry fee can we please confirm that this day at Wakefield will be going ahead as planned and that the only change is that it will now be run by SAU?

what does it mean now that its just SAU running? different format to the day? any pricing differences?

Before I fork out my hard earned cash for the entry fee can we please confirm that this day at Wakefield will be going ahead as planned and that the only change is that it will now be run by SAU?

Yes, it will be run to the same format as normal for SAU track days:

* 5 groups, each group has 1 session per hour

* 8 cars per group so that there is plenty of space

* groups split by expected lap time and experience - no wife's mx5 and a race car turning up at the same corner together

* Any untimed session will allow passengers/instructors. You can still run timing in your car if you wish.

* Club and other instructors will be available on the day

We will survey the paid entrants shortly before the day to work out how many, if any, of the 5 sessions will be timed.

Track days are a big financial commitment for the club, and this may be a difficult time of year. The best thing our members can do to make sure we can keep running track days is to enter, and enter early :D We need to fill about 35 places to break even on these days due to the big increases in track hire costs since Oran Park went.

• 2 weeks later...

last Exige i saw at Wakefield lost most of its front splitter after coming off on turn 4, hope you have a little more luck!

not paid yet but hope to be at this one and good point whoever made it about higher cost of EC being somewhat mitigated by using less fuel to get there..will factor into my decision on stumping up for it. jesus that track can get scary when you hit some speed though..

Hey guys. Hope you don't mind me having a run with you.

Looking forward to a great day.

Mate, you're more then welcome to come along, we don't mind what people drive, so long as you're friendly and aren't a twat on the track!

Timing ?

Sorry for asking but it is a desicion maker for me.

Mark.

Mark, due to going back to our normal setup of driver training being the key, most likely not.

That and a $200 lap timer like Erics will be a solid investment for you. Not only will you have laptimes, but you can visually see where you were going on the track and find out where you should be each lap to find your quickest times.

That also turns every cheap normal track day into a timed session for you... ;)

Yup - two options there:

QStarz - independent 5hz GPS Logger that comes with QRacing Software for analysis. Very impressive piece of kit for $175! (Google it)

Other option is the Contour GPS or Contour Plus. These integrate a 4hz GPS signal into video. You know those overlays I do that look like telemetry? You'll need to buy Dashware ($50) but the end result is quite impressive without all the hassle I go through to sync the video and GPS data. Contour GPS is about $300 and Contour Plus about $500 through Fleabay.

I'm hopeless with computers and really cannot be f*kd in setting up lap timers and seeing how fast I am through turn 4, all I want is at the end of the day is the best time I got when I got 1 lap partially right, I will never be a good driver as work and family means I might get 4 or 5 trackday a year if I'm lucky, seat time is not something I will ever have.

My driving style is to go as quick as my balls will let me and try and get quicker than my last outing, mainly through 90% luck with 10% skill.

If this event is not going to be timed just say so, and change the advertised information to reflect this, a lot of people like me only like doing timed events

Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know that we are looking into timing and the structure of the day. Things were left hanging when Renew pulled out and I have the committee working on options.

Please be a little patient as we know how keen everyone is about the day and will do our best to meet requests. We also need to get this day filled up as Duncan pointed out, if we cannot get the numbers up we will have to pull it. That's the last thing we want to do.

Again, please be a little patient as coordinating all of the logistics takes time. We should have all of the updates in a couple weeks.

[Edit]

First post has been updated.

We are looking into timing options for the day and will post more when we have more info.

Thanks.

Tats, I'm going to be away on holiday (BUGGER!) but happy to lend my GPS lap timer to one of the Club exec's so you can get a base line session in. They just need to make sure they let me know what time your session was so I can extract your data.

Tats, I'm going to be away on holiday (BUGGER!) but happy to lend my GPS lap timer to one of the Club exec's so you can get a base line session in. They just need to make sure they let me know what time your session was so I can extract your data.

You're a gentleman, i was hoping to get "best lap" results in between sessions but this is much better than having nothing. Will discuss closer to the day.