SAU Community

E85/98 Flex-Fuel Mission Complete! Thanks To Chequered Tuning!

I havent read the whole thread but send it to Unigroup Engineering in Girraween. Yavuz tuned our link G4 and was very impresed with it. Add to that the fact he really knows his shit :D I have been ising them for years and woldnt take my car to anyone else. And i use to work for another big name GTR workshop in Sydney

I am actually going to speak to him about using this Ethanol sensor in our car this weekend as Sydney only has a handfull iof servos with E anything and to do away with the laptop on the back seat would be awesome :D

Did you end up speaking to Yavuz about doing it?

We are setting up my car in the next few weeks using this sensor and a G4.

Just wait for a Eflex car to get written off then find it in the local scrap yard then harvest the sensor.

very limited flex fuel cars here in Oz though, U.S. has heaps of GM flex models

that's the cheap option as i have mentioned previously, you can get them for around $50 from the wreckers in the states (and given there's a lot of flex-fuel GM cars, you'll find one pretty easily) but i wasn't going to risk it - $250-$300 for piece of mind is pretty cheap really.

You'd be an idiot to buy something as vital as that second hand. Well maybe if it was a stock engine and it didnt matter but to do it with a built engine is lunacy.

I'd still like to see what Link have to say about which sensor

It either works or it doesn't. Most the sensors are going to have some sort of offset error so you'd need to calibrate it each time anyway.

Regardless if you do the tune from scratch surely it it won't matter, I can't see it giving different values for the same ethanol content, might vary between sensors but as long as you don't tune with one and then change it shouldn't be an issue.

Did you end up speaking to Yavuz about doing it?

We are setting up my car in the next few weeks using this sensor and a G4.

Havent bothered as he said he was already doing one and i have other more inportant things to put my cash into at the moment. We have just bought land so the car wont have anything done to it for some time now :D

• 6 months later...

98 was 356, E70 (but it might have been mid 60's) was 385, E85 was 400

so at a guess, E40 ~375

Filled up a couple times with United now, and the sensor was flicking between E84 and E85 (it was reading E83 before fill up and was very low) - would be nice if they stay consistent on E85 like Caltex stays consistent on E70 - otherwise i'll have to go back for a tune if it goes into the 90's

I thought with your setup you could anything and it would adjust or does it only map up to 85 percent ethanol?

i can.... up until E85 :D - the E85 tune was done on drum E85 so i knew it was spot on (which it was) and there was only Eflex available at the time, so if i wanted to do a true E85 tune i had to buy a drum. With hindsight though, i should have bought/ordered a drum of E100 and done it that way... i wasn't thinking about United or Fueltown coming back on line, which i should have.

We'll see how it goes, but United in Vic at least seems steady and Caltex has been been rock steady on E70 - i'll probably do an E100 one day just to cover all possibilities :D

Both United and Caltex vary an unacceptable amount. After seeing it with the display it is a little concerning.

Its not as bad you think tuner said b/w 70 and 85 worse case the af mixtures leaned out half a point and if the tunes safe with a few degrees timing left out of max power itll be fine.

Its not as bad you think tuner said b/w 70 and 85 worse case the af mixtures leaned out half a point and if the tunes safe with a few degrees timing left out of max power itll be fine.

I don't really care as that's the sensors problem :D. Either way in United's case, if you're going to sell 'E85' then make sure it's that. Not whatever some drongo thinks is 'sweet' on the day.

My last lot was E77. Another member tested a United elsewhere in Sydney and it was E93 from memory.

• 7 months later...

I don't really care as that's the sensors problem biggrin.gif. Either way in United's case, if you're going to sell 'E85' then make sure it's that. Not whatever some drongo thinks is 'sweet' on the day.

My last lot was E77. Another member tested a United elsewhere in Sydney and it was E93 from memory.

as long as its over 70 its gonna make sweet fk all difference, your tuner would tune it to be safe on both as its only minimal fueling adjustment and should not need a ignition adjustment on a street car for only a 10% ethanol change.

United has been very consistent the whole time i've been using... i guess almost a year now. Never seen it below 82 or above 85 - that is absolutely no issue what-so-ever for the tune

quite a few ecu's are capable to be flex-fuel (to be pedantic 'eflex' is Caltex's high ethanol % fuel, not the ability to run any mixture) - with a 5v signal maybe even a pfc could? who knows...

but the G4 is still a proven piece of kit regardless if you have it set for flex-fuel or not, it's still a great ECU. It's a good choice, but not your only choice if you want to go flex-fuel (which of course you want to! :D) Trent's your man too, easily has the most experience with E85 in Melbourne (poss in the country) and was the first flex-fuel (my car) and done quite a few since. Also very familiar with GTR's as well... obviously :D