SAU Community

What Car To Get, Commonwhore Or Falcadore

i have a ls1 v8 auto commodore tow car.

its awesome.

it handles a big load no worries, you often forget your even towing sometimes!!!

i get 14.8 litres per 100 which isnt bad.

just needs some stiffer springs in the back as it tends to drag its arse a bit with a skyline behind it on the trailer.

i would recommend it as a tow car of choice to anyone. i would not recommend the xr6 turbo as the thing would be on boost all the time because of the load im figuring hence big fuel consumption.

Also just like to mention that I had a 2001 AU Falcon up until recently, and it was rubbish, terribly unreliable there was always something wrong with it, but in saying that it could have just been a lemon.

Must have been your car... Mine is reliable as anything and I've put over 50,000 km on it in the last year and a half.

Must have been your car... Mine is reliable as anything and I've put over 50,000 km on it in the last year and a half.

Got a mate who got given his grandparents AU Fairmont after they towed a caravan around australia, and owning it for about 8 years of daily driving before the trip. he got it at 350k's, almost up to 400 now with just basic servicing and still going strong.

Yeah, I'd go the Ford. Neither are v8, but up until recently I had a VT daily, had problem after problem until I got rid of it for the Stagea. Meanwhile my parents have an AU similar age, far more km's, they go away lots, barely ever gets serviced close to on time, and has never missed a beat. Both are boats, but the AU has a lot more torque and a lot nicer to drive.

Got a mate who got given his grandparents AU Fairmont after they towed a caravan around australia, and owning it for about 8 years of daily driving before the trip. he got it at 350k's, almost up to 400 now with just basic servicing and still going strong.

Not that it makes a difference, but it probably has the VCT tickford engine, being a fairmont.

Buy a Ford. you won't regret it. their engine last forever. why do you think most taxi's are all fords and not holden.

Yeah... but they are running on gas...

which has more problems comes down to who you speak too. generally speaking they both have a few faults, but will generally be hassle free. i've put about 10,000kms on my VT since march and here is a list off all the work i've had to do to it,

crytical stuff:

-new leads and plugs (did that last week as the old leads were friggin old, possibly the originals, and arcing out. $65, which craps all over the cost of new coils for a skyline, LOL)

-regassed the aircon and new dryer reciever (was original and only had 80% gas in it which was just enough that the aircon wouldn't cool. did this just after buying it and has been fine since)

-new o2 sensors. 1 was just starting to play up. (again, possibly the original items. and also changed for the sake of fuel economy.)

-new indicator stalk (relay inside was starting to tick and was driving me bonkers, new one cost about $20 on ebay)

non-crytical stuff:

-some dash bulbs

-standard springs (was lowered, had typical commodore camber issue and was cheaper than a camber kit)

-new fuel filter (did it just after i bought it for peace of mind)

-new thermostat (as above, done just after buying it for peace of mind since i drive nearly 65kms to work everyday)

i've also owned a falcon and had very little issues other than 2 head gaskets, but it was an EA so that says it all. owned a VX a few years back and it was also pretty reliable. only issue i ever had with it was the aircon compressor got a slight rattle to it (started after a bit of limiter bashing doing a burnout in a mates shed, LOL)

• 3 weeks later...