SAU Community

Garrett 3071R On Rb20

Hi all,

I'm very tempted to buy a 3071R in my quest for 240rwkw+ out of my rb20. I already have a GCG ball bearing high flow but thought with the 3071R i'd prob have the same lag but more power.

I have searched and searched but cant find anyone real results or info on fitting this turbo. Most of the threads on here talk about results they might get or comparing sizes to other turbos.

I know I'll need a new dump pipe which is fine but if there is any known issues with installation then I'm not going to bother, I know a mate from work had problems with his 3076 on his 25, had to use a spacer to clear and the standard lines were impossible to fit.

Apparently some people have also had problems with boost control, cant get it under 22psi.

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers.

you will never fit standard lines on anything other a high flow. you'll most likely need a spacer also mate. As for the boost control issues that would depend on if your using the internal wastegate rear housing and what dump pipe you use.

I have searched and searched but cant find anyone real results or info on fitting this turbo.

Apparently some people have also had problems with boost control, cant get it under 22psi.

Any boost control issues have been related to the 0.63 turbine - but only when installed on a RB25 engine. You're going to need to stick some decent boost into a 20 if you want to head up/over the 250kW mark.

It's a fairly straightforward process bolting a GT30 snail onto the manifold and doing water/oil lines. Smaller comp housing might not even require a spacer for clearances. Dump pipe to suit should be readily available, or even a secondhand one if you look around.

It seems that the Kando units are getting good results on RB20s too, check a couple of posts and youtube links that Roy has posted up.

Edited by Dale FZ1

Unless you plan for 260rwkw+

IMO stick with the GCG item. At least it'll not be "too bad" in the response stakes and still deliver 240rwkw on around 20psi

Lot of cost to go 3071 for not much extra top end and more lag

Ok thanks for the insight.

I kinda thought that might be the case.

I'm getting a retune next week, see what sorta power it makes with cam gears. It made 219rwkw on around 20 psi but I have no idea how good the tune is.

For that sort of boost to ony be making 220rwkws either there is a blockage in the exhaust (cat or collapsed muffler), inlet is sucking shut, or you simply have no ignition in the tune. Think that a std R33 turbo makes around 190rwkws on 14-15psi. So with another 506psi up it would be makign similar power...and a hi flow with its bigger wheels should be flowing more then a std turbo or a 2530.

Its a rb20 highflow from what i was told, not to sure how much smaller it is compared to a rb25 highflow. Might be similar to a HKS2510?

I really have no idea what its making to be honest. And for 20psi I would expect more then 220 which is why I think the tune is rubbish.

Saying that russman made 230 odd with a hks 2530 on 20psi and I think this turbo is of a similar size.

Edited by eightsixboy

I sold my GT3071r 0.82 to a guy with an r32 gts-t (rb20det) he's running 18psi, all in at 4700rpm and makes 240-250rwkw

the 0.63 version might bring the lag down

Thats not bad on a 20 lag wise.

Honestly more then likely not bothering anymore, the one i was looking at is apparently a cropped version so not really that good a turbo, plus after a re tune i might make 230+ so for an extra 10rwkw it might be a waste of time and money.

I'm running a 2540 on my rb20. Running 16psi and making 220rwkw. Tried running 18psi but it was pinging. Even though im using a ems computer my tuner told me he wasn't able to tune out the pinging. It comes all in at about 4100rpm but i think that feels pretty laggy. Anyways nearly got the s1 rb25 ready to drop in. Will be trying the 2540 on the rb25.

GT2540s are rubbish along with GT2510s . They are examples of the earliest HKS spec Garrett ball bearing turbos that didn't have "Power with Response" . They have thankfully been discontined and replaced by later things like the four and twin six cylinder versions of the GTSS and the GTRS turbos .

In this day and age you'd call a GT2540 a GT2876R because it uses a GT28 NS111 turbine and a non GT era T04E 76mm 46T compressor wheel .

These would be laggy for a GT28 based turbo even on an RB25 I think . Two ways to look at it - either too much compressor for the turbine or not enough turbine for the compressor .

A GT2510 is literally a GT2530 with a short changed turbine .

A .