SAU Community

Turbo Install In Perth

Clobaby91

Hi,

I have no idea where to go in Perth to get my turbo timer put back in.

i had an immobilizer installed for licencing reasons and the gentlemen who put in the immobilizer disconnected my turbo timer without telling me.

i need it back in asap as its my first turbo car i have no idea where to take it.

Can anyone suggest somewhere that will do a good job and not cost me my whole paycheck?

any of the major shops

Xspeed, hyperdrive, allstar garage etc.

not sure what they would charge but it cant be too hard.

Why dont you get onto the immobiliser install guy and take it up with him? usually u shouldnt f*k with any other of a cars systems if you are doig a job right so get him to hook it back up again...

Hi Chloe,

Do you know what the turbo timer is? (greddy, apexi etc)

I'd recommend posting those details up here first, depending on how bad it's been disconnected one of the dudes on here may even be able to do it for you. (ie: might just be one wire)

Alternatively call up a few of the workshops and explain you have a '_____ turbo timer that has been disconnected on an R34, how much to install it/fix it then work out based on price and reputation of the workshop where to go.

In the meantime don't worry too much. The manufacturers don't make the cars with turbo timers so it's not necessarily vital, just drive your car easy for the last leg before your destination (ie; dont thrash it to your driveway then switch it straight off) or alternatively just sit with the car on for a minute before switching off =)

-Steve

Yeah, my first turbo car (180) had one when I got it, but haven't bothered with one in any other cars since. Just drive nicely and off boost for the last couple of minutes before you stop, and then you should be safe. I got into the habit of doing that when I was living at home with the olds, had a really loud exhaust on my 33 and went out cruising late-night, didn't want to annoy the neighbourhood by leaving it idling away in the middle of the night.

If you really want it though, any decent auto electrician shouldn't have any problems doing it.

Edited by Dingus

Hi Chloe,

Do you know what the turbo timer is? (greddy, apexi etc)

I'd recommend posting those details up here first, depending on how bad it's been disconnected one of the dudes on here may even be able to do it for you. (ie: might just be one wire)

Alternatively call up a few of the workshops and explain you have a '_____ turbo timer that has been disconnected on an R34, how much to install it/fix it then work out based on price and reputation of the workshop where to go.

In the meantime don't worry too much. The manufacturers don't make the cars with turbo timers so it's not necessarily vital, just drive your car easy for the last leg before your destination (ie; dont thrash it to your driveway then switch it straight off) or alternatively just sit with the car on for a minute before switching off =)

-Steve

Hi Steve,

I will have to look when i get into my car after work, its still in the back of my car.

it was completely cut out, all the wires were cut and they didnt tell me, i notcied it on my back seat when i was half way home so went back and they said they wouldnt be able to install it because 'its legal to have turbo timers' i thought that was bs i have seen a lot of my friends with turbo timers

Thanks for the advice tho

Chloe

It's not legal to have the car stay running when they key is out and you exit the car, so they're right. That's why when you go to the pits you just turn it off and stash it out of sight.

you can have one legally if it is part of the alarm/emobiliser.... so that if someone tries to get in then the engine will shut off...

i have passed the pits with mine on and he simply asked me to shut the engine down.... same as the police whenever i get pulled over...

dont waste your $$$ going to a workshop.any good auto electrician can fit/refit a turbo timer

Hi StevenCJR31

I dont know any auto electricians, hence why i asked on here about it. If you can suggest any that may be interested in helping me out, would be much appreciated. : )

Chloe

you can have one legally if it is part of the alarm/emobiliser.... so that if someone tries to get in then the engine will shut off...

i have passed the pits with mine on and he simply asked me to shut the engine down.... same as the police whenever i get pulled over...

They are not legal if they are built in to the alarm or immobilizer , they are tolerated though and generally the pits and police are OK with them.

ADR 25-Turbo timers are not to be fitted to vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1972 (ADR 25 Anti-

Theft Locks). ADR 25 requires that the normal function of the engine only occurs when the ignition

lock is in the engine on position.

You may find it difficult to find a reputable person to fit the turbo timer with the immobiliser , not because of the ADR issues but because a relay bypass must be wired into the alarm to disable it while the turbo timer is operational , leaving the car unsecured and the installer liable.

here is a nice thread , read the comments by the alarm installers in it and the stuff on bypassing security

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/356357-turbo-timer-vs-alarm/