SAU Community

Project Scrawny

Trozzle

Try to keep to those days too Troy...it's important to have the Wednesday off. You don't have to do it on those exact days of the week, but as long as you have that day off in the middle of the split...then the split will work very well and shouldn't leave you too wrecked. Ease into it too, as like Nick said, 4 day splits can be very fatiguing. More important than weight when starting off, is that you get the technique for each exercise downpat - this will also help with easing your body into it. Other than that, I've seen good results from beginners and advanced following that program, provided they stick to it and give it a decent chance. Built up a couple of people using it - some got very good results from it, to the point of people complimenting their physique...then dropped out of the gym?

I'm very curious to see this famous birds 4 day routine. Could you please pm it to me birds? Wouldn't mind comparing it to what I'm doing and maybe get a few ideas out of it. Cheers mate

Built up a couple of people using it - some got very good results from it, to the point of people complimenting their physique...then dropped out of the gym?

hard to maintain a 4 day a week gym routine... unless your a real gym/fitness junkie... I'm sure its more effective with faster results than 3 or even 2 sessions a week but I see this stuff as long term, and personally I know I wouldn't be able to keep it up... also if you play a sport or have other engagements outside work it can make things difficult

if you have the dedication and motivation I say go for it, but its not going to work for everyone

now if I can hurry up renovating my place, clear out the spare room of all the painting supplies/tools and finally setup the gym I've been wanting... then I can see myself getting in 4 sessions a week... sometimes its not the workout I don't want to do, I just can't be arsed dealing with a gym full of people

plus at home I can stare lovingly at myself in the mirror... lol

Tis hard to maintain 4 days a week if you're not addicted or if you haven't seen worthy results from it.

I'm very curious to see this famous birds 4 day routine. Could you please pm it to me birds? Wouldn't mind comparing it to what I'm doing and maybe get a few ideas out of it. Cheers mate

Sure mate, will PM to you. There's nothing amazing about it, it's just what I've ended up with after more than a few years at the gymnasium and changing things around until I struck a good balance - a comprehensive routine with good strength and aesthetic gain, not leaving yourself too fatigued / overtraining, and fitting it all inside a 7 day week.

plus at home I can stare lovingly at my wife... lol

FYP, I hope!

Hmmm depends on your definition of machines. It's all freeweights and cables...no Nautilus etc. garbage.

Yeah will send a PM.

Just easier for people to reference if they have a PM of it. Maybe we should have a gym/fitness program section too?

A thread in the health section would probably suffice

Too hard to keep track of what program people are talking about...would be good to have a section, then people can criticise or modify a program within it's own thread. But yeah, I might make a thread and put mine up.

Would be the weights I would say. Any cardio you want to do can be done aronud that. That's how my current set up is anyway. 4 day split with a little bit of cardio when I can be bothered.

Monday Flat Bench 10 x 10 - 5 km walk

Tuesday Body Weight Heaves or Pull Downs 10 x 10

Wendsday Squats 10 x 10 - 5 km walk

Thursday Shoulder Press 10 x 10

Friday Dead Lift 10 x 10 - 5 km walk

Sat 5 km walk with max push ups and max sit ups every 1 km.

Sunday Sleep

Use enough weight so the last set only gets 6-8 reps, when you can do all 10 x 10 go up 2.5 - 5kg

You do not need to do curls or tri ext or any other pretty boy exercises, you need power exersises to make your whole body strong so when someone attacks you you can 1 take the hit, then, 2 pick them up and break them on the ground.

This is what I used when I first started training, 1985, I ate alot of heathy foods 6 times a day and the only supps I took was a Multi Vit, Protien drinks consisted of skim milk powder and chocolate syryp, drink lots of water and skim milk, always carry a water bottle with you, tupperware is your friend, pack food.

Dont eat sh it, you are what you eat, if you eat fat burgers you will be fat burgers, but dont be so stict that your bored with your food, protien protien protien, any food that has alot of protien is good, as well as food with iron, dont eat to many carbs, after training is OK for some carbs but not always, listen to your body, it will tell you what you need, if you feel tired have some more carbs

Sleep a minimum of 8 hrs a night and nap if you can, every hour past midnight your awake add 1 more hour to the 8.

I went from 65 kg to about 80 kg in 6 months, and lots of strength.

30 yrs on though, Im 85kg but not so much muscle, more so fat, LOL.

only 4 days a week?

That including cardio? or just weights sessions?

It's just weight sessions. My cardio is usually done around that on days away from the gym, or sometimes straight afterwards.

Try to keep to those days too Troy...it's important to have the Wednesday off. You don't have to do it on those exact days of the week, but as long as you have that day off in the middle of the split...then the split will work very well and shouldn't leave you too wrecked. Ease into it too, as like Nick said, 4 day splits can be very fatiguing. More important than weight when starting off, is that you get the technique for each exercise downpat - this will also help with easing your body into it. Other than that, I've seen good results from beginners and advanced following that program, provided they stick to it and give it a decent chance. Built up a couple of people using it - some got very good results from it, to the point of people complimenting their physique...then dropped out of the gym?

Yep, I'm very much about proper technique.

hard to maintain a 4 day a week gym routine... unless your a real gym/fitness junkie... I'm sure its more effective with faster results than 3 or even 2 sessions a week but I see this stuff as long term, and personally I know I wouldn't be able to keep it up... also if you play a sport or have other engagements outside work it can make things difficult

if you have the dedication and motivation I say go for it, but its not going to work for everyone

now if I can hurry up renovating my place, clear out the spare room of all the painting supplies/tools and finally setup the gym I've been wanting... then I can see myself getting in 4 sessions a week... sometimes its not the workout I don't want to do, I just can't be arsed dealing with a gym full of people

plus at home I can stare lovingly at myself in the mirror... lol

I couldn't agree with you more, that's the problem with mine - SO MANY PEOPLE

4 afternoons a week will be fine almost every week for me. If I'm going to be strapped for time one arvo, I'll just go knock off half that day's exercises during lunch - I work about 5 minute walk from the gym, and live only 5 minute drive away.

ALSO!!!! Just returned from my 6.5 weeks overseas in Europe. Weighed myself and discovered I've in fact LOST about 1.5kg. I can guarantee I've put on a bit of fat, so I'm a bit sad that I must have dropped quite a bit of muscle :( on the other hand, it at least tells me I had plenty of muscle to lose in the first place, lol. Now just gotta get it all back.

72kg now, aiming for 80kg by summer with preferably the same BF% as before my trip, or less :D

It's just weight sessions. My cardio is usually done around that on days away from the gym, or sometimes straight afterwards.

Oh good, cause i was going to say thats not enough.. i do 7-8 gym weight sessions a week, sport and training twice a week for my cardio. I never know whether i want to bulk up or get shredded haha

That sounds a bit excessive for the weight sessions? Unless you're training only one group of muscles each session? My weight sessions are made up of two different days, i.e. predominantly push and predominantly pull, which are repeated twice a week for a total of 4 sessions per week. Each session takes about 60-75 minutes to complete and is fairly comprehensive. I don't believe in leaving a whole week between training a group of muscles, for a day or two is plenty of time to recover. In fact, when I've had to miss a push day and a pull days, it has been that much harder to get through the workout the next time I do it. This really creates a good amount of endurance without fatiguing the body too much or overtraining.

Everyone says that, but it works for me. One muscle group per session, twice a week. Has been working for me for 3 years now so im sticking to it.

Its hard to get big and keep lean without roids etc lol so it takes alot of hard work, which is what i do.

Yep 3 days is all the recovery one muscle/group needs.. I remember doing chest about 2 weeks ago, flat bench dumbells. I did chest 3 days earlier, it was still sore... Car got defected so i had alot of built up anger, did 50kg dumbells 13reps 2 sets. And i was sore before hand haha.. always push to new levels or you will get no where/bored.