SAU Community

RB25 Turbo, Steel Wheel Upgrade?

Ive got a R33 GTST and have recently found out that my turbo doesnt have steel wheels and wont last long without upgrading it. Is it possible to put steel wheels from another turbo (VG30) into the RB25 turbo.

Has anyone done this before? If not are steel wheels easily sourced and are they cheap? Anyone know where i could get some in melbourne?

thanks in advance

AK

• Like 1

Please note:

This product should have been purchased from an official Apex Power Excel Shop. Although a base program has been provided to start a factory engine, programming from an official Apex Power Excel Shop is required for this product to work properly on your application. This IS NOT a plug and play unit and DOES REQUIRE professional tuning to operate your engine.

As quoted from the Power FC manual... however each to their own. That said you dont have to buy or tune it at an official Apexi tuning shop, but I would at least hope people take into consideration that warning when installing and belting around on a factory tune power fc.

Anyway on to the subject, you are aware there is substantially more involved in the high flowing of a turbo than simply replacing the exhaust wheel? You must machine out the compressor wheel housings, and match the compressor and exhaust wheels with each other and get them perfectly balanced or you are going to experiance unstable boost problems. That said, I was told when I was looking to rebuild/highflow mine that GCG sell a complete rebuild kit with everything you need, the only thing left is for someone to machine the housings and fit and balance it all.

Ive got additives in my fuel and its a secret! :devfu: . Yes i know highflow is a big task but i know some people who could help me out. Im not doing the task myself. Im just starting out with the steel wheels then the compressor wheel & machining. Like boostds idea but with steel wheels.

i

As quoted from the Power FC manual... however each to their own. Anyway on to the subject, you are aware there is substantially more involved in the high flowing of a turbo than simply replacing the exhaust wheel? You must machine out the compressor wheel housings, and match the compressor and exhaust wheels with each other and get them perfectly balanced or you are going to experiance unstable boost problems. That said, I was told when I was looking to rebuild/highflow mine that GCG sell a complete rebuild kit with everything you need, the only thing left is for someone to machine the housings and fit and balance it all.

Thats cool bout the high flow just making sure you know its more than just simply shoving an steel exhaust wheel in :spank:

As for running round on standard power fc tune, in my *personal opinion* youre taking a big gamble, and i hope for your sake it pays off for you. All it takes is a shit batch of base fuel before the additives, and your special blend of 106RON is about as worthless as 1RON at the end of the day.

" actually a good opportunity to upgrade to a VG30DET turbo with its steel exhaust wheel... should provide more power! "

note the steel wheels. If the rb25 and vg30det are similar would the wheels be interchangable?

who is going to fit/balance it for you?

its not just a question of machining the housing and bolting it in in the comfort of your lounge-room chair, you realise that yeah???

There is a lot of precision work involved.

Just fork out the $$$ for a GCG stage one hi-flow or something if your bent on getting a hi-flow

I'd just buy an aftermarket one that bolts in when your turbo gives up the ghost.

Oh, and get a tune. Relying on some other cars state of tune is not a good idea

yes i do release its not like lego and yes it does require precision to fit the parts. Im just looking to gain a bit more power out of the rb25 turbo at a minimal cost.

who is going to fit/balance it for you?

its not just a question of machining the housing and bolting it in in the comfort of your lounge-room chair, you realise that yeah???

There is a lot of precision work involved.

Just fork out the $$$ for a GCG stage one hi-flow or something if your bent on getting a hi-flow

I'd just buy an aftermarket one that bolts in when your turbo gives up the ghost.

Oh, and get a tune. Relying on some other cars state of tune is not a good idea

this is a stupid idea man seriously, your gunna spend this much time for a 10rwkw gain ?

perhaps you should ask yourself ?

steel wheels that are gunna pretty much do nothing except give the stock turbo more life

OR

get a friggen tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :slap: :boobies2: :kick: