SAU Community

RB25 Turbo, Steel Wheel Upgrade?

Dont you think highflowing the turbo is a good idea? Im just doin it in stages.

this is a stupid idea man seriously, your gunna spend this much time for a 10rwkw gain ?

perhaps you should ask yourself ?

steel wheels that are gunna pretty much do nothing except give the stock turbo more life

OR

get a friggen tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :slap: :boobies2: :kick:

Guest INASNT
Dont you think highflowing the turbo is a good idea?  Im just doin it in stages.

Yes it is a waste of time and money playing around with steel wheels etc on the stock turbo. Whoever told u it is a good idea to put steel wheels in the stock turbo is just out to rip u off.

Stick a decent low mount turbo in or save up for a high mount setup.

After a lot of comments it doesnt seem like a good idea. Theres a lot of information overload therefore deciding on a turbo for an application is very difficult. Im just going on what people have chosen to do with the cars. What would you recommend doing. Im after around 250 - 300rwkw. Just enough for a low 12 second. Provided that all the other systems are in place to support that power. I also want a low mount turbo so cops dont do anything.

Yes it is a waste of time and money playing around with steel wheels etc on the stock turbo. Whoever told u it is a good idea to put steel wheels in the stock turbo is just out to rip u off.

Stick a decent low mount turbo in or save up for a high mount setup.

if you want a 'safe' motor that will 'last' then you'll need to rebuild the 'minimum' parts of your engine to be able to hold that power as i believe 'max-safe' power for an RB25DET is around the 250-260rwkw mark

there are other ways to get your car running 12s without spending money for straight out power, things like suspension, weight and NOS are great things if u read about them

i believe someone on here ran a mid-low 12 with standard turbo in his R33 running a 100HP shot of NOS :D

Guest INASNT
if you want a 'safe' motor that will 'last' then you'll need to rebuild the 'minimum' parts of your engine to be able to hold that power as i believe 'max-safe' power for an RB25DET is around the 250-260rwkw mark

I am running 280rwkw at the moment. Days it has lastest without blowing up equals 2 as of today :D

But seriously if u dont drive like a knob all the time ur engine will last quite awhile with over 250rwkw.

wild747

Firstly u should stop asking for advice from the mechanics u r currently talking to, as they seem to want to sell u crap and rip u off more than anything else.

if u get a good tune, then u wont blow the ringlands, simple.

What us sa guys have been disussin is that one major problem of engine failure comes when the stock injectors are pushed too far, and hence put out an uneven spray. This can cause the ringlands to go at higher outputs.

Steve on these forums was speaking to one of the mechanics of the D1 drivers i believe whilst they wer down for drift nats. Anyway according to them, they tune to 11.1arfs, with heaps of advance igntion timing. Hey they know what they are doing.

In other words, keep the afrs safe, below 12, and the stock internals should stay fine if u r nice to them. Steve has 310rwkws with stock internals.

What would you recommend doing. Im after around 250 - 300rwkw. Just enough for a low 12 second.  

you wont need 300rwkw to run a 12.

you'll need around 220-240rwkw... and a decent set of slicks/nitto's.

You'll smash home a high 11

747, I'm asking horsepowerinabox for a bolt on hybrid garrett with internal wastegate(double ball bearing). Freebaggins got 253rwkw at 1.15bar and 265rwkw at 1.2 bar with it and bigger injectors but stock others.

Seems to be a very reasonably priced bolt on turbo (I've compared).

You interested?

if u get a good tune, then u wont blow the ringlands, simple.

What us sa guys have been disussin is that one major problem of engine failure comes when the stock injectors are pushed too far, and hence put out an uneven spray. This can cause the ringlands to go at higher outputs.

Steve on these forums was speaking to one of the mechanics of the D1 drivers i believe whilst they wer down for drift nats. Anyway according to them, they tune to 11.1arfs, with heaps of advance igntion timing. Hey they know what they are doing.

In other words, keep the afrs safe, below 12, and the stock internals should stay fine if u r nice to them. Steve has 310rwkws with stock internals.

Hi enricho, I am not surprised by their answer, drift guys need instant throttle response. A few extra horsepower here or there means nothing to them. They are after controllability not outright speed. Also they don't need to stress an engine so far that blow it every meeting.

Keep it rich for safety and advanced for response, not a bad philosophy for a drift guy or a road only guy. But it's not of much use to a drag guy, who needs every last horsepower he can get. And in between, is the circuit race guy who needs good reliability and good throttle response, but can't afford to get left behind down the straights.

Horses for courses.

747, I'm asking horsepowerinabox for a bolt on hybrid garrett with internal wastegate(double ball bearing). Freebaggins got 253rwkw at 1.15bar and 265rwkw at 1.2 bar with it and bigger injectors but stock others.

You interested?

im VERY interested in pricing etc, as im upgrading my injectors/pump soon, already have everything else and im looking for an internally wastegated turbo :D

Gobiz, Im very very interested. But will 550cc injectors be enough juice :rofl: to support this turbo? And what price range are we looking at!

You interested?

Guest INASNT
550's are good for approx 300rwkw.

Matlowth makes ~300rwkw with his... and has 550's

they are actually good for more than that coz my 550cc are reading around 75% or so at 280rwkw. U can always add a rising rate fuel pressure reg which will let u go even further