SAU Community

Cef33Y's New Ceffy

CEF33Y

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bit of a update.

So, been trying to get the car engineered, but with the RTA changing the way they do engineer certs, most engineers were in the middle of getting re accredited, so its been a while waiting. Car is booked in for the 16th for first inspection, so should be on the road by end of FEB hopefully.

Needed to change a few things, no chance of getting the drifteks passed without pumping and rolling guards, and really dont want to do that at this stage, so swapped for some Buddy club P1'S in a higher offset, they're 17 by 9 +27, so at legal height, sit just on the guard line. Actually dont mind them.

p1b.jpg

Planning on changing the look of the car, i've got a autech kit that i'll paint up, think it will suit the higher offset wheels more that the uras. Also painted my spare boot white, so much better than the black, bonnet will get done at same time as kit, but its getting on road first!

cefwhiteboot.jpg

Raised it up to around 110mm at lowest point, looks dodge, but hey, its just until its rego'd.

Also fitted a new steering wheel that the missus got me for Xmas, she has good taste!

interior-2.jpg

So yeah, hopefully get so pics soon of it on the road, and at the track!

• 10 months later...

Update.

Lol its been ages since last post, we had our first kiddy born in April, so been flat out being a dad its full on.

Cef has been on the road since may, been loving driving it around.

Anyway, not long after I had it on the road, the engine fan flogged out, noitced free play in the clutch part.

Replaced it with the z32 fan I had spare, they have a slighty bigger offset, that was ok until i gave it a bit of a rev, fan flexed forward, pulled the radiator into the fan. Should have known better.

Oh well, good excuse for a upgrade.

Picked up a ASI 52mm alloy rad and matching shroud, with twin thermos.

Fairly straight forward install, had to massage the rad support a bit, trim down top rad hose, good call with the measuring! Ive got about 10mm clearance between one of the fans and the power steering pully, lol. Rad is fixed in position better than stock, machined up my own lower bushes that hold the radiator firmly.

rad.jpg

rad2.jpg

rad3.jpg

With stock rad and engine fan, used to run at around 90 celcius, and would climb when cracking it

After rad, sits on 80, never gets above 85 when thrashing, awesome.

Also got around to painting the other boot a bit better, and actually fitting it up, (soz for the shit pic)

boot.jpg

And been playing around with my Autech kit. Think I should have mounted the cooler further back, will have to chop too much of the bar out.

Will get it fitted and painted soon.

autech.jpg

So next step is some power mods. The lil 20 goes ok for what it is, but needs a TD06 in its life.

Might squeez a drift day in soon. Not long after the cef got rego'd the falcon daily died im the arse (EGAS, took 2 months, two mechanics, one Ford dealer to find the problem, was a drainer) So cef was playing family car for a while, didnt want to risk it on the track during that time.

Edited by CEF33Y

Thanks, the engineer I used was pretty easy going, mainly picked little things like general road worthy stuff, which I thought was a bit odd. (holes in firewall, airbox secured etc)

He did ask for very detailed desciptions of the mods though. (i.e exact model the 5 stud knucles were off, exact model lca arms were off, etc etc.)

Even looked inside the ecu to see if it had been nistuned, Pretty funny, cause looking at him, and the rods at his place, you wouldnt guess he'd even know what a nistune was, lol

Coming from a hot rod background, where he see's alot of custom made shit, a plug and play nissan where every upgrade bolts on was easy enough.

First trackday coming up on the 6th of Jan, f&*kyeah!

Well, track day done, was freaking near 40 degrees at wakefeild on sunday I reckon,

Showed up some weakness with the new cooling system, could only get 4 or 5 laps till it hit 100 deg c, then had to stop for it to cool down.

Then near end of day thermos shorted, melted wiring, all sorts of shit. Managed to get one thermo going, just enough to get home.

Would like to go back to a engine fan, but not sure if i have space, might have to get some decent thermos. Anyway, apart from that, the car was awesome!

Did everthing right, felt good sideways, lil 20 did ok too. had to be going real quick to turn third, but did ok. So much cheaper to run than my last s14, only used one pair of 16's!! and did track and back plus drifting on 3/4 tank of fuel.

Only have one shitty pic on track, but hopefully some others pop up.

Packed ready to go :)

IMAG1217.jpg

Photo from bro's mate.

527283_10151423550235757_838989116_n.jpg

Also, had to change steering rack, as the one in the car was leaking bad. Thought s13 would work. Hmmm, no. Lines are different.

Long story short, had s13 hicas, r32 and r33 racks, none of which had the same line setup as my cef. Luckily I had the entire lines from the r33 setup, so changed everything over. Had to shorten column shaft where it goes into rack, apart from that, went together ok. Seems to have same steering lock as before too, some people say r33 racks have less travel, but not from what i can see.

So, will fix cooling issues, and try to do the australia day drift festival. Will be peanut track, but will still be a fun day.

• 6 months later...

Long time between updates, basically have done nothing but general manitenance on the car, family life taking all the time!

Have been able to get to a few drift days though, getting more confident in the car, loving how cheap it is to run (compared to my last s14) did the whole day at wakefield on one pair of tires, that weren't even new! Stock RB20 life. lol.

Have some video that I took, but need to edit it to chop out all the down time, have one pic that Eiji from team red stage took.

258812_664947296854138_1567241530_o_zpsa

Also, sump has developed a leak, well, looks like its leaking from all the bolt holes, had a go at fixing it in car, but think I may need to pull motor to fix it properly, as I couldnt get the sump off while motor was in. Apart from that all is sweet.

• 4 months later...

I think I update this about twice a year. Lurker, not a poster, haha

Haven't been doing much. Pulled motor out to fix sump gasket leak, and replace hoses under the inlet mani, apart from that just been driving the wheels off it. Bought some more wheels, another 4 bubby club p1's. This time 17 by 9 +17, so 10mm more poke. Not bad for skidders.

Latest day at wakey.

cef_zps62c6cd42.jpg

cef2_zpsead080d0.jpg

Was all going good untill I noticed temps slightly higher, only by 5 degrees, so finished off the tires, came back into pits, heard a tell tale hissing when I turned it off, not long after, car was bleeding green

2013-12-01134745_zpseaeba5a6.jpg

Turns out one of the coolant hoses I had replaced had split along the seam, worst luck. Glad someone had some spare hose at the track, but by the time it had cooled down enough to fix it, and squeez my fat hands in there, day was almost over. Ran out of tires anyway, was going to do a few laps on the roadies, but thought no, car is fixed, and I still need to drive it home, called it a day.

Oh and seems as though even the track isnt safe these days. This is the dummy grid at wakey

2013-12-01105735_zps0f2b5839.jpg

Peace.

• 4 months later...

6 monthly update! having a 2 year old really limits the time in the shed, haha.

Finally did some power upgrades. Ended up going with a hypergear 0p6 highflow.

Wanted the engine bay to look stock, so decided to stick with a low mount, and went with a highflow to simplify things.

Specs,

0p6 highflow

Nistune

800cc sards

Z32 afm

Just jap 3 inch bellmouth dump. (modified, opened up)

Profec b boost controller

P5072736_zps94ab41fa.jpg

Still run stock coil packs, stock airbox, return flow cooler, engine bay looks the same.

Result is pretty laggy but going back to get cam gears played with soon, tuner thinks he can get about 500rpm better response.

Also, think I the clutch is on the way out, gave it a decent squirt this morning, and started smelling pretty bad. Its only a excedy HD organic, I was surprised it held on the dyno. Anyway, got a drift day on the 14th of June, keen to get back out there.

• 3 months later...

Dudes.

Did some general maintenance on the cefiro.

New front wheel bearings (S14/15 type).

Mine were cactus, and looking around, cheapest I could find were Just jap at $179 each. Pricey cause you need the whole hub, can't just press in/out the old bearings

Turns out CBC bearings make a replacement, using NTN bearings, for $212 for the pair. Score.

Have to re use wheel studs, which I was going to do anyway, (nismo 90mm studs)

Pretty easy job. Although the drivers side bearing inner race was pretty stuck on, had to grind a flat and chisle it off.

IMG_0851_zpsec3576c1.jpg

IMG_0854_zpsc9893343.jpg

Also, did a service, plugs, oil, etc.

Car was tuned on a 0.7 mm plug gap. New plugs were 0.8mm, thought, she'll be right, well. No not really, misfired like crazy on high boost. Borrowed a mates set of splitfires to diagnose, and it fixed the issue.

So bought a set of splitfire, geez, the car has never ran so smooth! It drove ok before, but the difference with new coil packs is a blow out.

They also seem to of fixed the typical RB idle pops. Its is unbelievably smooth now.

Highly reccommend new coil packs!

Also, here are some pics of my JJR belmouth dump that I modifed. My turbo (highflowed OP6) had been machined out and it didnt really fit well with the flange on the dump pipe.

I read its common to die grind the step (which was almost 10mm in my case!) but didnt really like that.

So took the opertunity to chop it up, ensure its not going to cause a restriction.

Can see the white on the flange how much needs taken off, and the "hump" straight after turbo

IMG_0013_zpsb44ba558.jpg

Attempt at die grinding

IMG_0021_zps5f21adb1.jpg

New section welded

IMG_0068_zps2761e1d9.jpg

New flange, still had some cleaning up to do in this pic.

IMG_0070_zpse15759c5.jpg

Anyway, seems to work well, and its still holding up, no evidence of exhaust leaks, even though there is not much surface area at the bottom of the flange.

Had a drift day at wakefeild with the new setup, trickier to drive with the added lag, but much quicker. No real issue, except for me not plugging the cas in all the way, wouldnt rev above 3k for a bit. lol.

Still keen to get back to unigroup for a play with the cam gears. Also, with the new coil packs might be able to squeez in a bit more boost.

Cheers.

• 5 months later...

Updates!

Gave it a bit of a service birthday over xmas, gearbox and diff oil change out.

After some reasearch on mechanical diff's seems as though mineral based oil is the way to go, Ive only run synthetic.

Anyway, just used some nulon mineral lsd oil, and wow, night and day, all the diff clunks and bangs are gone! Didnt think it would make such a difference.

Not that much else happening, lots of driving, and a few drift days. Local drift club ran a private day at wakefeild, these days are the best, heaps of track time, laid back atmosphere.

Car went faultless, had some fun.

IMG_1928_zpsxr2oja8m.jpg

IMG_1926_zpsypq1dwnv.jpg

IMG_1924_zpsrc6wybdy.jpg

And, after almost 3 years on the road, its finally all white!

IMG_2302_zpsrnmvyx3a.jpg

Spare front bar is almost prepped for paint, so I can not have a stitched front bar for the street.

Thats it for my 6 monthly update, lol

• 1 year later...

Update time! Have been on a more drift orientated site lately, but still want to keep this updated, its a good way to see where the car has come from.

First off, check this out. Was browsing one of the japan auction sites and stumbled on this cefiro (no, its not mine!).

Now a white cefiro, with uras and buddy club p1's is nothing mind blowing, but to have the same kit, tail lights, rims, in the same colour??!!

haha there is a Japanese version of me in Japan, even the bootlid seems to be a bit off color like mine!

Car at auction

twinpic_zpsloiy9ww4.jpg

My car at wakefeild

IMG_1932_zpsoii1r54w.jpg

Anyway, ended up selling the buddy clubs, and going to some work rezax, 18x9.5 +21 fronts and 18x10.5 +31 rears.

Painted my spare bonnet and fresh uras bar, clear indicators. Installed a roof wing

Much happier with the all white look, and new wheels.

IMG_5669_zpsa6l2i6nr.jpg

Mechanically, changed the fuel pump, installed a 1 bar actuator to try and hold the boost better up top, and found an apexi A31 front mount kit.

Was kinda weird installing a front mount kit that actually bolted up, usually with cefiro's its a modified r32/33 jobbie.

Kinda fanboi'd over the cooler, and assumed it would be better (cause its a japanese brand, right?) than my china core and return flow piping.

IMG_5621_zpsk8swgqwr.jpg

Ended up heat wrapping the pipework, looks a bit neater than the blue.

IMG_6181_zpszasdklf3.jpg

Went for a retune and lost 10rwkw. Was kinda bummed cause I'd thought my cooler and more boost mods would make some more power, but to drive it on the road, it pulls harder, right to the limiter, so pretty happy with it. Tuner thinks it could be the heavier wheels making the difference.

IMG_6246_zpsdihhey6a.jpg

Main reason for the retune was to give it a good check over before the drive to QLD for the drift Matsuri. Loaded the car up, picked up a mate on the way, and started the 14hr drive to Ipswitch!

IMG_6427_zpsdllr9uvb.jpg

Mate had a broken leg, but was not missing matsuri, so toughed it out, haha. Lucky the weather wasnt too hot.

QLD raceways still let him go as a passenger too, haha

IMG_6431_zpsounvhgai.jpg

Got there thursday night, recovered from the drive friday, went and signed in, set up garage friday arvo, ready for the weekend.

Had so much track time, car went awesome on the saturday, then third run sunday, shifted to third on last corner and it didn't quite feel right, then the smell of burnt clutch filled the cabin. Let it cool down for a bit, but would slip hard when the clutch was kicked, but ok driving normal.

By this stage it was 11am, and with only track time till 4pm, decided to pack up early.

Didnt feel like finding, then changing a clutch at the track, anyway, had a mad time, got to drift with my brother, who's chaser went awesome. We've both been into drift for years, but actually not drifted much together, so that was pretty cool.

Iphone%20dump%20919_zpspsgtd0q3.jpg

IMG_6450_zpsx831trel.jpg

IMG_6508_zpsxbfrftuh.jpg

Headed home monday, and made it back to Newcastle before the party lights came on in the mirror. The officer was quite good about it, even if it was a bit low (mainly due to the spares, it was loaded riiiiiight up)

So around a 2600km round trip, which included 1.5 days of thrashing, and apart from the clutch, the car went awesome, pretty stoked about that!

That pretty much gets us up to date.

Next on the list is a clutch, and some sort of catch can, as I notice the cooler pipes (mainly post cooler) have some oil seeping out of the joiners. I've still got the breathers hooked up as per factory.

Did a comp test before the retune and was 150 +-2psi across the board, and turbo is fine, so I think its just thowing its out the breathers. Might lose 2-4mm on the dipstick every 4-5k, so its not much, but want to see if I can sort it.

I've only just (like last night) went to a 10-50w oil, instead of a 10-40w to see if that helps reduce it.

PCV valve has been cleaned too.

No drift days planned, as I'm not much of a skid pan fan, and wakefeild has stopped drifting, so not many close options for me.

Just enjoying driving it normally is enough these days, still high on my Matsuri Vibe, haha

• Like 1