SAU Community

R33Gtst->Fuelpump->How Is It Mounted

Torques

Hello,

Sorry for the plain question, but ->

I'm about to replace my fuel pump ..

I was wondering how the fuel pump+cradle is actually mounted to the chasis.

From looking at the manual it seems there are no bolts that attach the pump assembly

to the car (fuel tank) ?

It must be secured somehow .. musn't it?

The top of the fuel pump cradle slides down onto a bracket that is mounted just inside the fuel tank. It's quite hard to explain, but if you open up the lid of your fuel tank, you'll see what I mean. To remove, you have to slide the cradle up and off the bracket. It's fairly self explanatory and easy, the job is just a bitch because it requires small arms and contortionist like flexibility. Probably not that bad if you're just replacing stock for stock, but upgrading to a bigger pump has some fun trial and error to go with it.

Hi there,

Many thanks!

Yes, I thought so (I mean that there is a bracket) ..

So the cradle just slides on it, and nothing to secure it (like a bolt or clip?)

I have a Tomei-Pump which is supposed to be a drop in and forget, so that will be (hopefully) painless.

I also need to pull the fuse off the pump and then let the engine idle till the fuel pressure has dropped, right?

?

The top of the fuel pump cradle slides down onto a bracket that is mounted just inside the fuel tank. It's quite hard to explain, but if you open up the lid of your fuel tank, you'll see what I mean. To remove, you have to slide the cradle up and off the bracket. It's fairly self explanatory and easy, the job is just a bitch because it requires small arms and contortionist like flexibility. Probably not that bad if you're just replacing stock for stock, but upgrading to a bigger pump has some fun trial and error to go with it.

Nothing to secure it...it relies on gravity, plus it slides a fair way down on the bracket, so it is fairly secure. In fact, when I put in my Bosch 040, I could only slide the top of the cradle half way down the bracket and it's still secure.

Don't know about the removing of fuses and engine stalling...I did mine without all this...shouldn't be any pressure after you've had the engine off for more than a few minutes.

Nothing to secure it...it relies on gravity, plus it slides a fair way down on the bracket, so it is fairly secure. In fact, when I put in my Bosch 040, I could only slide the top of the cradle half way down the bracket and it's still secure.

Don't know about the removing of fuses and engine stalling...I did mine without all this...shouldn't be any pressure after you've had the engine off for more than a few minutes.

days later I had fuel squirting everywhere lol just cover it up with a old towel when you remove the lines.

days later I had fuel squirting everywhere lol just cover it up with a old towel when you remove the lines.

Oh ok...maybe changes in air temperature pressurised your fuel over time :P

There was seriously very little, if any, fuel that came out when I disconnected the lines...so I don't know what's going on there lol.

just put a nismo in my 33gtst, very easy, probably took 15 minutes of dicking around just trying to get it back on the cradle though. replaced a bosch 040 that i just couldnt get back on, and i easily spent over an hour on it and gave up.

Just put a torch in the tank when you've removed it and you will see how easy it actually is to put on

Hi ...

How do I remove the fuel lines (the 2 with the quick fit connector)

How does the connector work? (sorry, never seen these before)

Also did you use a hammer to remove loosen the big plastic nut?

(I would make a tool for this, but don't have the time at the moment ..)

Thanks!

just put a nismo in my 33gtst, very easy, probably took 15 minutes of dicking around just trying to get it back on the cradle though. replaced a bosch 040 that i just couldnt get back on, and i easily spent over an hour on it and gave up.

Just put a torch in the tank when you've removed it and you will see how easy it actually is to put on

i just used pliers to squeeze clamps together then pulled the hose off. although i had trouble with the feed line and ended up replacing it with new line, only because the feed line had no extra slack in it, i think it was about 63cm long so i just got 70cm worth.

i just used a big flathead screwdriver and a hammer to get it off

The top 2 hoses are return and the bottom one is the feed. Is that what you meant by connector thing?

post-29115-0-53695500-1311558692_thumb.jpg

or the wire connector? its just acts like a connecting point with wires both side

post-29115-0-55276800-1311558929_thumb.jpg

bracket intank

post-29115-0-86725100-1311558978_thumb.jpg

Hi ...

How do I remove the fuel lines (the 2 with the quick fit connector)

How does the connector work? (sorry, never seen these before)

Also did you use a hammer to remove loosen the big plastic nut?

(I would make a tool for this, but don't have the time at the moment ..)

Thanks!

Hi there,

Thanks for the pictures and advice :)

I have attached a pictures of the hoses, I hope that makes it clearer.

(I have a Spec2, so I guess that's why I have these)

i just used pliers to squeeze clamps together then pulled the hose off. although i had trouble with the feed line and ended up replacing it with new line, only because the feed line had no extra slack in it, i think it was about 63cm long so i just got 70cm worth.

i just used a big flathead screwdriver and a hammer to get it off

post-33912-0-83948000-1311575267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Torques

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

Just wanted to report that I recently changed the pump to a Tomei.

It all went alright, and the hardest part was probably fitting the fuel pump back in.

This was due to my big hand and the limited space in the tank.

Also I should have emptied the fuel tank more; I got quite dizzy from the fumes and my skin being

washed in fuel.

:)

Hi there,

Thanks for the pictures and advice :)

I have attached a pictures of the hoses, I hope that makes it clearer.

(I have a Spec2, so I guess that's why I have these)

• 8 years later...
On 23/07/2011 at 11:09 AM, mattis96 said:

Sorry I’m new here.     I am having a shocking time trying to work out the pump cradle mounting.   As it wasn’t mounted when I removed it

Well I hope you have a low fuel level because as a first timer it helps you to see what you need to do.

The cradle is a longish flat looking bracket that slides into and then clip locates in a plastic holder on the front of the tank.

Have a look, stand back and use an LED torch [try to avoid arcs and sparks] and see if you can see and feel the plastic holder.

Once you do you will sort of realise how the bracket slides down and then clips in place.

There is probably a tutorial in the How To section on this forum that will help, and good ole YouTube is always a 'go to'.

Maybe this: