SAU Community

Sway Bars

skybt1

Im interested to know what the difference between these two rear sway bars is;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Skyline-R30-Whiteline-Rear-Swaybar-/260820697063?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cba1fffe7

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Skyline-R30-Rear-Whiteline-Swaybar-/260812530194?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb9a36212

It looks to me that either of them look anything like the standard bar, and mounting points are also totally different.

Any opinions on upgrading original sway bars? Or is a good set of bushes enough?

It's probably just a generic picture they've used.

Wilkinson suspension know their stuff so let them know your model and they'll make sure it's the right one

Whiteline ONLY make one (1) bar for the R30 Skyline and it looks nothing like either of these AND they certainly do not make anything adjustable for the R30.

What are you using now is the first question I have to ask?

Next question is what springs are you using front & rear to go with the new sway bars, poundage would be a good start??

For the front, either the Aust delivered R31 Skyline or Pintara are good upgrades depending on your use???

It is of course a question of balance and not necessarily just bigger diameter bars that should be used and when using bigger diameter rear bars bushes become an issue because off the shelf GP D shackles cannot be used successfully.

Talk to me and tell me what your thinking and I'll try to point you in the best direction from my research & experimentation.

Cheers, D

It looks to me that either of them look anything like the standard bar, and mounting points are also totally different.

If you read the description, it says,

To Suit Nissan Skyline R30 Rear

(image shown is for display only) <----------- Note.

Whiteline ONLY make one (1) bar for the R30 Skyline and it looks nothing like either of these AND they certainly do not make anything adjustable for the R30.

What are you using now is the first question I have to ask?

Next question is what springs are you using front & rear to go with the new sway bars, poundage would be a good start??

For the front, either the Aust delivered R31 Skyline or Pintara are good upgrades depending on your use???

It is of course a question of balance and not necessarily just bigger diameter bars that should be used and when using bigger diameter rear bars bushes become an issue because off the shelf GP D shackles cannot be used successfully.

Talk to me and tell me what your thinking and I'll try to point you in the best direction from my research & experimentation.

Cheers, D

All standard sway bars, I have Tein HR coilovers on all 4 corners,

not exactly sure of the poundage they are either 10/8 or 12/10.

I wouldnt mind maybe getting into some track days but its still my daily driver.

Maybe i should just change all the rear sway bar bushes for now as im probably not gonna notice much difference on the road?

I wanna improve my handling to make it as good as possible. Ive always focused all my efforts into engine and driveline,

now i just want to improve other aspects such as handling and braking.

cheers

If you read the description, it says,

To Suit Nissan Skyline R30 Rear

(image shown is for display only) <----------- Note.

Thanks, it goes to show it pays to read the adds carefully.

He still should have a picture of what he's actually selling, would be much more useful.

Wheel weight is also worth looking into...

I had some big 16s and when I changed back to factory Ti 15 inch, handling improved so much. Had slightly less grip on power out, but that was the only negative.

There are a few brake options. I'd look at the one that requires little or NO custom modifications. So bolt in coversion.

DR30 turbo has 100mm caliper bolt spacing that is good for the R32 calipers etc.

Aother thing to think of is disks, when they wear out can they be replaced with an off the shelf item (repco etc) and also brake pads, get someting you can source in a day (no point waiting for someting to ship from overseas over 4 weeks etc)

With these things in mind I'd look into an uprated Commodore setup (2 piston) as the pads and disks can come off the shelf in 30 min etc....

Although for that to work, you need custom mounting spacers 'dog bones'

I put R31 Skyline front swaybar in my Hatch, and it made an epic difference., I used the R31 bushes carved a bit to fit in the R30 brakets

dude, sway bars WERE the best and cheapest suspension upgrade i ever did to my 30. bar getting adjustable castor.

upgrade, daily or not. its worth it.

i got both front and rear from whiteline 24mm and 22mm. came with everyting to fit and was around $300 i think. doo it.

fyi, that image looks like the rear bar i got.

I am amused how you managed to mount the rear sway bar with the supplied Whiteline GP D shackle & bushes because the R30 rear mounts are not flat. I had custom bushes made for the track DR30 to suit the standard mounts plus I had the whiteline hot shop when it was in Ingleburn custom make some redesigned rear bars, but still 20mm & I'm using 23mm R31 Pintara front bar @ the great price of $25.00 at the local wrecker.

If you want to use poly bushes in the rear bar mounts, get 280ZX if R30 cant be got and if not in Oz they are easily available in USA off ebay and thanks to the $$$$ we get our bits cheaper from there now :yes:

The R31 Skyline bar of 25mm is also an option but in my opinion it's to big and the balance is all a miss & I think tend to understeer something cronic on a track.

If your not in a mad rush, I'm getting some D shackle mounts made so that the stock off the shelf a/mkt D bushes can be used instead of having to make special bushes every time the sway bar dia changes.

Wheel weights are a miniscule problem as I see it unless of course your chasing 0.001 sec a lap, but I must admit the wheels Mags is talking about were pretty heavy.

Cheers, D

I acutally have a set of BNR32 front brakes, just waiting on my current pads to be finished before i put them on.

So that will take care of the braking.

Seems like there are a few options for me in regards to suspension parts.

I like the idea of using parts off other cars to make mine better.

Try to stay away from aftermarket as much as possible.

Its easier and usualy cheaper.

Sounds like sway bar upgrades are highly recommended though so ill have to look into it further.

What about a strut brace? are they worth investing in too?

They are! But getting very hard to find these days for an R30 unless you pay the dollars and get it from Japan.

Lots of people forget about the fifth spring.

Cheers, D

Sounds like sway bar upgrades are highly recommended though so ill have to look into it further.

Nick,

This is what I did with my sway bar.

It was custom made by the Whiteline hot shop when it was at Minto just near my place in 20mm and as you can see it doesn't have the kink in it where the factory designed it for easy handbrake adjustment. I made it in 20mm as the factory mount bushes could still be used. As it is shorter by about 100mm it will in fact ACT stiffer than the factory unit, how stiffer nobody knows, but it will act like it. Mated with the factory R31 Pintara 23mm bar I think it will be an excellent combination depending on your choice of other components in the suspension. Dampers & springs & bushings etc.

Cheers, D

post-2962-0-21354300-1312417980_thumb.jpg

Nick,

This is what I did with my sway bar.

It was custom made by the Whiteline hot shop when it was at Minto just near my place in 20mm and as you can see it doesn't have the kink in it where the factory designed it for easy handbrake adjustment. I made it in 20mm as the factory mount bushes could still be used. As it is shorter by about 100mm it will in fact ACT stiffer than the factory unit, how stiffer nobody knows, but it will act like it. Mated with the factory R31 Pintara 23mm bar I think it will be an excellent combination depending on your choice of other components in the suspension. Dampers & springs & bushings etc.

Cheers, D

I like that a lot! Simple simplified. I like the idea of sticking to factory bushes.

Makes replacement easy for everyone involved.

The front bar of the pintara is different to the skyline r31?

I like that a lot! Simple simplified. I like the idea of sticking to factory bushes.

Makes replacement easy for everyone involved.

The front bar of the pintara is different to the skyline r31?

R31 Pintara .................... not U12 as in FWD version.

The R31 Pintara & R31 Skyline both have same shape front sway bars, only Pintara is 23mm & Skyline is 25mm.

Cheers, D

Get the Pintara version, because if you stiffen the front as much as you would with a Skyline 25mm unit & leave the rear relatively stock, you're likely to understeer yourself off the road. It's all about balance.

When you get the front bar, go buy the universal shackle & respective 23mm poly bushes to suit and use bolts instead of the factory shackle & having to mod the bush to suit.

Cheers, D