SAU Community

Swapping Final Drive

Johnny

Hey guys,

I wanted to open this thread for a while after a few people brought it up in my other threads. Basically, id like to know what people think of swapping the final drive ratio in my r34 gtr? even 32 and 33

Basically i think the rb26 is too small for a heavy car on the street (not talking on the track where your rpms are always high)

My car is rarely driven and even when im on the freeway, i never really enter 6th gear, 6th seems to be too laggy and the car dosent maintain speed when you reach an incline, need to drop back to 5th.

my query is: what are the pros and cons of swapping?

my gut tells me that: 1st will rev fast, 2nd wont reach 100kph anymore and i will have to change gear more.

also, being a vspec 2, can i even do the swap as it has active lsds - then again, the mines gtr has done it??

ps: im not a mechanic so i may need the pros and gurus here to sugar coat explanations for me.

any replies would be much appreciated and very educational.

-Johnny

Mmmm, but the vspec2 had the Pro version of the active diff. I'm not sure that any of the RWD active diffs or the 33vspec did.(edit - actually, having just looked, the 33vspec did, so it is a reasonable idea - if you can find one)

Edited by GTSBoy

3.545FD to 4.111FD is a massive jump.

You'll get to use that 6th gear on freeway. Makes for a better car to drive, much more responsive and torque is readily available.

Downside is obviously the sacrifice in top speed and also slightly less km out of the tank.

This is just based on driving a 4.4FD to 4.9FD Honda 1.8L engine

A number of GTRs here have swapped for the R33GTR diffs for better pickup or for track. Just remember you need both diffs and you are looking for a V spec active diff R33.

once youve changed the final drive, what do you do about your speedo running out of wack?? is there someway of adjusting it??

if its electronic, there are small control boxes you can install to adjust the signal to the speedo, like they use on motorbikes.

yeah deano, R32 GTR speed drive is cable straight to the speedo so no electric signal bender will work. if you change to GTS4 diffs (4.375:1) then you should be able to buy the GTS4 speedo drive gear and repalce your standard speedo drive with the GTS4 one. I haven't personally bothered before but will probably do it when I convert my current GTR.