SAU Community

Yet Another Training Log.....

GHOSTrun

I've gotta ask, what's with the seemingly random 60 sets on 1 exercise with reps all over the place?

While you're answering dezz' question, I did ponder what made you decide to stop after 1 rep of 72.5kg on BP, up the weight and bust out 5 reps with 10kg more weight...

There's a program called PPP (Progressive Poundage Program), link: http://ptcfrankston.com/progressivepoundageprogram.html

It's designed to run for 11 weeks to reach a desired weight, for example I'm doing the 160kg squat program and the 105kg bench program.

Normally you'd squat on a monday, bench on a wednesday and deadlift on a friday, train the lift once a week, following this program, i.e. week 1 you do week 1 of the program, week 2 you do week 2 etc, all the way up to week 11.

For the first 6-8 weeks it's like 5 work sets per session and then in weeks 8-11 it bumps up to 6-7 work sets.

I want to do more volume so I simply do the following weeks in the same session do get the volume.

So if you look at my most recent bench session, the red is week 3 I think from memory (which is what I'm up to), then I also did week 4 (the blue) and week 5 (the purple, maxing out on the last 2 sets and an extra max set at 60kg).

BP

Bar x 10

40kg x 10

60kg x 10

72.5kg x 1

82.5kg x 5

75kg x 5

72.5kg x 5

72.5kg x 5

72.5kg x 2

85kg x 3

80kg x 5

72.5kg x 5

72.5kg x 5

75kg x 2

87.5kg x 3

82.5kg x 5

75kg x 9

75kg x 8

60kg x 14

In the big squat session I did a few weeks back, I did 5 weeks worth of PPP lifting. I don't follow the program strictly but use it more as a guide to the bare minium I want to be doing each week, and then do however more I feel like on the day. I've got 2 bulging discs in my lower back (no deadlifting for a while) and some days my back is great, others not so great, so it influences how I train, i.e. heavy, or more volume with a lighter weight etc. I enjoy lifting and don't do it for any set goal or competition, if I take it too seriously then it just becomes a chore, but that doesn't mean I don't train seriously when I'm in the gym, if that makes sense? :)

Some notes on my training: I train Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Alternate between squats and bench press, and then do some assistance work after depending how I feel and how much time I've got as some sessions go well over an hour. What this means is one week I'll bench twice and squat once, the following week I'll squat twice and bench once, so it's good to give the body a rest like that whilst still training hard.

Edited by GHOSTrun

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah k, I bought the PPP but never ended up using it

I find it's good for helping me with consistancy. They say it takes 4 weeks to turn something into habbit, so this is a good way to get yourself into a solid routine.

I'll be moving onto PPP in a couple of months. The guy who trains me is the one who wrote that, but right now I'm small enough to see good gains from doing squat, bench and DL 5x5, 3 days a week.

I'll be moving onto PPP in a couple of months. The guy who trains me is the one who wrote that, but right now I'm small enough to see good gains from doing squat, bench and DL 5x5, 3 days a week.

So you are training at PTC?

Yeah, 3x a week for about... 8 weeks now?

Best gym I've ever been to. Not only for the awesome equipment, but it just has a great environment and atmosphere that makes you really push yourself.

Yeah, 3x a week for about... 8 weeks now?

Best gym I've ever been to. Not only for the awesome equipment, but it just has a great environment and atmosphere that makes you really push yourself.

Awesome man, I train at the PTC in Brisbane. I often go down to vic too

18/11/11

BP

Bar x 15

40kg x 10

Had a go at max bodyweight for reps challenge and did 70kg x 18

72.5kg x 2

85kg x 5

80kg x 8

80kg x 6

80kg x 5

80kg x 5

60kg x 17

Front Plate Raises

25kg x 15

25kg x 15

12 Pullups

5 Chinups

23/11/11

SQ

Bar x 10

40kg x 10

70kg x 10

90kg x 5

120kg x 1

120kg x 12

140kg x 5

140kg x 5

140kg x 5

140kg x 1..stop..vomit??, wtf??? lol! No more Red Bull during training

140kg x 4

140kg x 4

140kg x 3

145kg x 2

O/H SQ

Bar x 20

22.5kg x 20

S/S Standing Goodmornings

22.5kg x 15

25kg x 15

I'm 6' and still look like a twig. Markos reckons if I want to be competitive at my height I really need to be around 100kg lol. Spoke to him about you, apparently you used to live them or something?

I've also started PPP this week, seems like an awesome program.

I've pretty much been around since day 1 of PTC, lived in Vic for a while, fly down 3 times a year for the comps etc. If it wasn't for Markos and the original fitness, diet & bodybuilding forum on ns.com I'd still be doing 20 sets of bicep curls and weighing 50kg

30/11/11

BP

Bar x 10

40kg x 10

60kg x 5

80kg x 3

100kg x 1

100kg x 1

100kg x 1

80kg x 8

80kg x 6

80kg x 7

80kg x 6

80kg x 6

80kg x 5

70kg x 9

70kg x 8

60kg x 12

Front Plate Raises

25kg x 16

25kg x 12

KB Curls

14kg x 25

14kg x 20

haven't read ur entire thread, just wondering...why are you doing so many sets? Is BP bench press? 16 sets of bench pressing? isnt that a bit excessive?

and only 1 at 100kg? im sure u can do more!

My arms are tiny, lucky to just make 13" when pumped = stuff all muscle so I think that explains the weak pressing. I've been trying for ages to get them to grow, they just don't. Anyhoo I still train them hard. My 1RM at my last powerlifting comp was 100kg, so tonight I've done 3 singles of that and will work on increasing the total number of reps for the session at that weight over the coming weeks. The reason for so much volume is to build strength-endurance. I think part of the reason they won't grow is because they're not fit enough to stimulate enough growth during a normal type session, that is not lifting heavy enough for enough reps. Anyway we'll see how I progress over the next 6-8 weeks. Track back and check the progress for my squats, the above method is doing wonders for it.

Edited by GHOSTrun