SAU Community

Awful Human Beings.

Spicky

Has anyone else had the experience of gear being stolen while camping?

A few mates and I are just starting to get into 4-wheel driving and we've headed up into Bunyip state forest the past 2 weekends.

We camped out last night, set up 3 tents(2 cheap spinifex tents and 1 canvas bad boy worth $400) and in the morning we heard a few motorbikes going past, normal sort of stuff. But we heard two stop and talk just next to our tents.

Didn't really think much of it and so about 12 or so we left our tents and headed off for a 4wd session.

We saw one group of motorbikers who were friendly and there was another group parked with a white Nissan Navara and a trailer next to one of the 4wd tracks. Kept going, heading out looking for some mud and hills to climb.

Anyway, after a day of fun we headed back to our camp and when we got back the canvas tent was missing and our sleeping stuff(blankets and sleeping bags) from that tent was tossed on the ground!!

On closer inspection two inflatable mattresses were taken from inside the canvas tent and a swag and mobile phone was stolen from one of the spinifex tents. These filthy people actually went inside our tents and rummaged around looking for shit to steal. There were motorbike tracks around our campsite which made us think that it was one of the groups we saw. Logically the first group we saw didn't have any way of transporting this stuff out of the park so it almost certainly had to be the group with the ute. Also one of my mates' commodores was parked on the side of a track and they broke into it and stole his head unit. It wasn't even a good head unit!!

We asked a few people at the next camp site but they didn't know anything so we did a couple of laps of the park, knowing our chances were slim.

In the end it ruined what was a ripper weekend. Makes me so angry that these people are going to get away with this shit.

Anything similar happened to any of you guys?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else had the experience of gear being stolen while camping?

A few mates and I are just starting to get into 4-wheel driving and we've headed up into Bunyip state forest the past 2 weekends.

We camped out last night, set up 3 tents(2 cheap spinifex tents and 1 canvas bad boy worth $400) and in the morning we heard a few motorbikes going past, normal sort of stuff. But we heard two stop and talk just next to our tents.

Didn't really think much of it and so about 12 or so we left our tents and headed off for a 4wd session.

We saw one group of motorbikers who were friendly and there was another group parked with a white Nissan Navara and a trailer next to one of the 4wd tracks. Kept going, heading out looking for some mud and hills to climb.

Anyway, after a day of fun we headed back to our camp and when we got back the canvas tent was missing and our sleeping stuff(blankets and sleeping bags) from that tent was tossed on the ground!!

On closer inspection two inflatable mattresses were taken from inside the canvas tent and a swag and mobile phone was stolen from one of the spinifex tents. These filthy people actually went inside our tents and rummaged around looking for shit to steal. There were motorbike tracks around our campsite which made us think that it was one of the groups we saw. Logically the first group we saw didn't have any way of transporting this stuff out of the park so it almost certainly had to be the group with the ute. Also one of my mates' commodores was parked on the side of a track and they broke into it and stole his head unit. It wasn't even a good head unit!!

We asked a few people at the next camp site but they didn't know anything so we did a couple of laps of the park, knowing our chances were slim.

In the end it ruined what was a ripper weekend. Makes me so angry that these people are going to get away with this shit.

Anything similar happened to any of you guys?

i understand that you're angry about this but i just couldnt hold in laughing when you said that "the just tossed the sleeping bags and pillows on the ground" ROFLROFL

anyways, you can't trust human beings, 99% of them are alright its just the 1% that ruins it

sorry to hear this, but once someone went through my school locker to steal my old jumper

Grey your a homo.

I worry about it when I go camping/4wd but I take my gear in the car. Have self inflatables, pillows and sleeping bags which I throw back in car when 4wding but leave the tent. Never had any issues though.

P.S. Your still a homo Grey.

Yeah, like i've had shit stolen before. That's not what got to me about this incident. It's just that i never thought people would be dog enough to steal a whole tent from a campsite, let alone the rest of the stuff. That's why we didn't bother putting it in the car, just packed everything back into the tents.

Sorry to hear mate, but you do have to pack up your gear properly or someone has to stay at the site if you are staying in the forest and going riding/4wding the next day.

Its sad but its the truth, best thing to do it get swags which are like hardcore sleeping bags - you can put a little mattress in them and your own dona and they close up to a cocoon if it gets wet, then in the morn just roll it up and chuck in the back of the car and off you go.

Otherwise a quick pop up tent (good ones are expensive) and a few pegs to make packing up easier....

Yeah, like i've had shit stolen before. That's not what got to me about this incident. It's just that i never thought people would be dog enough to steal a whole tent from a campsite, let alone the rest of the stuff. That's why we didn't bother putting it in the car, just packed everything back into the tents.

I like dogs, so plesae dont compare these scumbags to mans best friend..

I let a guy sleep on my couch for a few nights once, Little cnut stole my car and most of my parts one night while I was sleeping....

I thought I was paranoid keeping my keys under my pillow every night for this exact reason , then the one night I let my guard down..

Plenty of scum out there, this grey homo sounds like one of them..

Next door neighbours went on a 4WD convoy camping trip through the Kimberleys last year.

About 3 Landcruisers were opened up at a N.P. carpark with things stolen.

They can only guess that a scanner was used (from close by) when they locked their vehicles.

Terry! What are you doing in the Vic section?

Often see guys from SA, NSW and even TAS pop in from time to time Michael.

We find Victorians interesting - quirky but interesting.

Next time I'm down for the Aust Tennis Open I'd like to also see a whole SAU Cruise convoy do a "Hook Turn" pls :P

There was a WA thread last year about how the SAUer could retrain his Victorian Missus to drive properly Noel.

Is it inbred?

Will he have trouble over in Perth when it comes to teaching his offspring how to drive?

Sorry to hear that...but its kinda inevitable when you leave stuff unattended...

yes this is sad but true..In the society we live in where for thieves, the rewards far outweigh the punshment as insurance companies profit from those that dont read the fine print, your only hope is to keeep an eye on your possesions..

Dogs and security; or mini spy cameras are your friend and are easily affordale these days.one of these hidden in a tree would have been enough evidence to lay charges..but even then worst they will get is some jail time and you still get no compensation for your goods..

Yeah its sorta like watching a cage full of monkeys at the zoo Terry. :rofl2:

you can laugh all you like but shit will hit the fan when we start throwing poop.

you can laugh all you like but shit will hit the fan when we start throwing poop.

We're pretty scared now 'cause...

You've gots lots of ammunition whilst you wallow in it :P