SAU Community

Gtr Won't Start

Yelogtr

Hey,

I have an R32 GTR, recently replaced the battery due to starting problems. This fixed the issue for a while but am having dramas again:

1. I started my car after work to drive home, it started fine but none of the electrics (tail lights, interior lights etc) worked for the entire drive home.

2. A couple of weeks ago i charged the battery and it started fine.

3. This weekend It started with the help of a jump start, however I tried it again today and it started but as soon as the leads were disconnected the car died.

4. I put the battery charger on the battery whilst in the car but it wouldnt charge at all, the light came on to say the charger is on but the charge light wouldn't light up.

5. I put the battery charger on the battery whilst out of the car and the charger said the battery is fully charged.

6. I've checked all the fuses and they are all good.

I'm thinking the alternator is probably stuffed and maybe even the new battery aswell. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has any auto sparkies they could recommend SOR.

Cheers.

3. This weekend It started with the help of a jump start, however I tried it again today and it started but as soon as the leads were disconnected the car died.

4. I put the battery charger on the battery whilst in the car but it wouldnt charge at all, the light came on to say the charger is on but the charge light wouldn't light up.

5. I put the battery charger on the battery whilst out of the car and the charger said the battery is fully charged.

alternator is fked

only one charger you have tried????

I've had a battery charger tell me my battery is full a number of times but after a few hours it starts reading right (Flat) Same battery worked fine after charging it on and off for about 4 days (Slow charger)

And as far as I remember disconnecting the battery to see if the car runs on the alternator only works on old cars where the alternator is in a circuit with the ignition system or whatever.

I would never hook up a charger to any car with an ECU :-|

Hey,

I have an R32 GTR, recently replaced the battery due to starting problems. This fixed the issue for a while but am having dramas again:

1. I started my car after work to drive home, it started fine but none of the electrics (tail lights, interior lights etc) worked for the entire drive home.

6. I've checked all the fuses and they are all good.

I'm thinking the alternator is probably stuffed and maybe even the new battery aswell. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has any auto sparkies they could recommend SOR.

Cheers.

Point 1 usually indicates the accessory fuse under the dash, but you've said in point 6 they are all ok. Was it the fuses in the engine bay you checked or all of them?

Yeh mate I've only tried one charger, the charger has worked fine in the past, and worked ok on the missus' car. I've checked both engine bay and under dash fuses. All are good!

I'm thinking its the alternator, will take to an auto sparky on thursday. Anyone got any recommendations of an auto sparky or someone that will replace the alternator?

Cheers

Sounds like the alternator to me. The battery is probably dead, but the charger is reading false. I've had that happen before. Take the battery out of the car and put the charger on it over night. See what happens then. To test if the battery is dead, turn on all the lights and hold the horn down. If the horn fades to quietness, the battery is dead, if the horn keeps going, there is obviously charged. If the battery has no charge, blame the alternator :)

with all the lights and the horn going that will just drain the battery, a good battery shop should test the battery for you, if i were at my shop i would, although it is in kalgoorlie.

they'll have a battery tester that can test the cca (the guts) of the battery although your battery would need to have a full charge,

it's best to charge it on an automatic charger and leave the battery to float before you test it otherwise you'll get a false reading.

also depending on the size of the battery, the size of the charger and how discharged the battery is it will take more than a night.

i reckon it's the alternator

if the car dies after the jumper pack is disconnected its gonna be a bit hard to drive it somewhere lol.

option 1: ring anytime-towing for $100 and get it towed to a workshop.

option 2: check the charge rate while its running off the jumper pack, this should point u towards either alternator or battery

option 3: buy a new battery. Dont buy the cheapest battery from supershit either, just a normal heavy duty with caps that you can top up with water. Dont get a maintenance free battery as if you do have charging issues it wont do the battery any favours being constantly flat and recharged. If its not the battery at least you'll have a new one which'll make diagnosing easier.

btw your charger sounds fked, for anyone wanting to buy a battery charger i recommend a CTEK charger i got the 8amp one and it does everything and will fully charge a massive battery in under a day, can also leave it on charge for months without doing any harm.