SAU Community

V35 Gt8 Sedan Manual Conversion + Introduction

this doubles as a kind of an introduction to these forums i guess..

my name is seb, i'm coming from a series 4 rx7 fc which ive owned for 6 yrs. that car was pretty much setup for drifting making 250hp, im selling it at the moment for around 8.5k. i put alot of time into that car building it from stock and learning a shitload along the way. i could have bought a silvia or a skyline like everyone else had, but i wanted to be different, so i got into a rx7 and loved every second of it.

to get a bit more indepth i used to work at barbagello raceway in perth, doing maintenance/grounds keeping fulltime for 5yrs when i left school, my dad was the general manager for 10 yrs or so at the time. i would fix plumbing/retic/gardening throughout the circuit, ride around on golf carts all day, mow spectator banks, soften up the sandtraps with the tractor, be on call during the v8 supercars and basic shit-kicker duties etc. it was a good job looking back, but like most jobs it definitely had its downsides...

these days i work behind the bar at a restaurant and goto uni.. my new employer which is a really good mate of mine had bought a v35 gt8 sedan a few years ago and had some bad luck with it.

the cvt started playing up as they do, it was getting sticky, in first and second to be specific.

anyways he mentioned selling it and i put my hand up when he said $5000, wouldnt you?

the car has the following modifications/extras.

70,000kms

stock bose stereo + nice jvc head unit

half leather seats

super low king springs -not fitted, last owner had them removed

pod style filter with stock intake

aftermarket headers/ extractors/ cat-back 'borla' exhaust -link below, sounds great v6/v8 more than a ricer sound

http://www.bestexhau...2ucumd1tiela2j1

full illegal tinting including front screen + extra privacy tint on rear side windows -previous owner was a professional tinter

so i've payed 2500 and he's let me start driving it, so i am.:thumbsup:

the car is very drivable, and is driving pretty damn well, although i definitely have noticed the sticky cvt transmission issue. it is moderatley getting worse i suppose. some days it drives well and normal if you weren't expecting the problem, but most days it is noticeable. most times it happens when coming to a stop sign at a full stop, then will stick in first or second, either in paddle or auto shift, but sometimes can be set back if switching back and forth for a bit.. otherwise the fix is to pull over, come to a stop, turn off ignition, turn back on, drive away going slowly though gears, as soon as it goes through 1-2 you know if its going to be good or not!

it is strange because it's driving very well, even in paddle shift it really does drive like a manual if you pretend there's a clutch, and get off the gas on up-changes you'd here it from outside and think it was a manual.

so i'm driving it, pretty much bought it, and i guess i'm here at the conversion stage. and i am still pretty vague although i am aware of most things need for the conversion leaning towards 6MT rather than 5AT, although have definitely thought about going AT.

as an extra plus i can get free freight to any where in australia, so long is it can get to a depot in a main city.

i have found a 350z 6MT for a good price of $1000 which i consider is the main thing besides ecu.

other things are center console + handbrake system, steering column, clutch/flywheel, pedal kit, speedo cluster, clutch master/slave cylinders. ecu is probaly going to be the hardest thing i have to find, probably gonna have to import it from usa or japan unlessi get lucky with a wreck in oz.

most parts i have found on a front cut coming into australia from japan through a shop here in the next couple weeks.

other main things im looking at is lsd, either the stock 350z viscious, or other options like the quaife lsd which the favorable option.

full coilovers, looking through ebay can be found pretty cheap second hand from $500-1000, or about $1100-2000 new.

that is the first stage i guess, them onto forced induction route.. leaning more towards a single turbo.

i do own a innovative t72 with a .62 compressor wheel which i bought brand new for $2200 about 4 years ago, suitable for my 13b rx7 to make 440hp @14psi. also a 2nd hand garret td06.

if i could use the t72 that would be the ideal option, or sell that for a chink of the new kit.

thats about it so far, if i think of anythin more i would add in aswell as answer any questions i can..

help is greatly appreciated, and also i did mention i can help with freight to inside of australia,

so will help anyone i can who can lend a hand to my situation aswell as try do bulk buys for ppl.

cheers,

seb

0423 279 321

perth, wa

Edited by padlock

$5k for a V35 is a bargain regardless of the CVT issues. I have no idea about conversions but I think a lot of ppl would benefit if someone was able to successfully perform this transplant at a reasonable cost.

Good luck and keep us posted!

yeah...$5k...that's a good cost base to start with...i would have bought it... :)

should be starting the 6mt conversion process over the next week or two, or atleast obtaining the parts..

im still unsure as to whether i need the 6mt lsd/open diff or if the stock auto diff will run properly, although i do intend running a lsd with this setup.

Hey Mate

I know you're pretty set on the manual conversion. But are you sure the tranny's issue is mechanical?

I own one myself and i can tell you that I've been through hell and back because of the tranny issues. Spent hundreds trying to figure it out and turned out it was only a faulty speed sensor which cause the gears to f*k up .

Tried to plug in a scan tool yet?

Like i said, I know you're gonna go with the conversion anyway, but if i were you I'd want to find out what's really wrong with it before decide to convert it. :)

Another good reason is that you might be able to sell off the CVT tranny once you convert it for a decent price instead of scrapping it.

to start off with... what motor is it?

the 3.5 v6?

i'm assuming... with what you've mentioned.

you would probably be best to find a wrecked coupe and buy all the interior that way, changing the handbrake ect over can be a bitch too.

im 90% sure you will need a new drive shaft as i believe there slightly vary in length by about 30mm

the swap will probably cost you... 4-5k considering you can find all parts....

so make sure you think about that before you start...

also, better to get a 6mt diff too... or after market of some sort 1.5- 2 ways ect are around... about 600-800 for a good one.

these cars certainly are NOT cheap, so don't expect a cheap project out of it.

turbo wise, id get it going and sorted before you went down that route...

PS: GREAT BUY OTHERWISE!!!

Edited by Cobey

@ dodes47, interesting i'll have to look into it.. if i can fix the car id rather do that and sell it and buy a manual one(theres a nice one for 16k i test drove where im at)

so i a 'scan tool'... do only nissan dealers have them? or qualified nissan techs etc. what would the scan tool tell me once its plugged it, diagnostics plus a a failure readout on the speed sensor i guess..?

@cobey, yeh 350gt -3.5v6.. i am well aware of what a 6mt conversion will cost me, i have budgeted 5k for it using a stock clutch kit, into the 8k mark going aftermarket with clutch and diff.

i had a good talk with my mechanic today, i pretty much have to get a folder of info/facts/parts lists etc to give to him and go from there, start getting parts in one by one etc.

i half found a 350z half cut on its way in the next couple weeks... if any one can help... what parts would i need from that??

clutch master/slave cylinder/air flow meter....anyone know if i can use a 350z tail/drive shaft??? or cobey as you say they are 30mm different -where did you find that out from.

ive found the 6mt box w/out shifter for 1k elsewhere..

ecu im finding the hardest part to source, unless i come across a wrecked 6mt v35 which i doubt, im looking into importing from usa or japan.

as far as a diff goes, if i cant find a cheap stock viscios lsd i will be looking into a quaife diff as ive heard good things about those.

and i can get FREE freight anywhere inside oz, so im sure thats gonna be a big help

any links to threads etc about anything on the subject would be greatly appreciated!!

cheers guys,

seb

a while ago i read a thread about it on G35driver just read interesting stuff there.

im not sure about the 350z tailshaft i'm sure it should fit, i've been meaning to look at mine to see as whether we have a carbon tailshaft or not like the 350z.

ECU will be a bitch to find , ill admit that. talk to Beau at field garage and see if he can source you one?

you should be able to get a box cheaper than that too....

ive seen some going for like $400-600 if you search around.

also... G35driver is helpful for alot of parts like clutches ect. (aftermarket even for like $400)

As far as the scan tool, anyone with money can get one... some shops do some don't... but yeah Nissan dealerships do.. price pending on where you go too.. some will do it for free others right up too $150...

just tells you what code fault where pretty much.. just to narrow down your search.

Hey man sweet car. I've been looking at getting one of these too...

I work at barbagallo too. I sell fuel every race day and tuning day. I've met dave (?) the grounds dude and I know Ben (probably the guy that replaced you i guess?)

Good luck mang.

@ dodes47, interesting i'll have to look into it.. if i can fix the car id rather do that and sell it and buy a manual one(theres a nice one for 16k i test drove where im at)

so i a 'scan tool'... do only nissan dealers have them? or qualified nissan techs etc. what would the scan tool tell me once its plugged it, diagnostics plus a a failure readout on the speed sensor i guess..?

To be able to scan the transmission, you need to get it scanned in a workshop that owns a good scantool. Doesn't necessarily have to be a nissan dealer.

Consult and Carman are ones that would definitely work.

Basically you scan the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) and see what it has to say for itself. If something is wrong, It'll definitely chuck a code at you which you can use to aid in your quest to repair the tranny. Mwahaha :laugh:

Edited by dodes47

You lucky prick.

Dodes is on the right track though. Find out what's actually wrong with it first before you succumb to hearsay.

One thing, get the owner to sign a contract that he has sold you the car, otherwise if you do fix it, you may find he wants it back.

my fc is finally SOLD, i can now start this v35 project.

still any help or pokes in the right direction for this manual conversion is greatly apreciated.

i need to put together a folder of info to give to my mechanic so i can get this happening, so far i have found a 350z manual box, + have found a 350z halfcut just landed.

the hardest thing i think will be finding a v35 manual sedan ecu, any help on where i can import one??

and will a coupe or 350z manual ecu work??

This will def. be an interesting project. Should be an interesting drive too.

Wouldn't a 5AT be easier conversion to do - ie. no need to worry about interior trims, handbrake etc. All you will need is a trans and ecu.

I'm going to stay tuned to this thread.

• Like 1

That ecu will not fit a GT8, they use the earlier shaped ecu. If you decide to go down the 6 speed manual route you should be able to get it running without changing the ecu, for a start at least. Likewise with the diff, think the GT8 has a very similar ratio to the manual.

That ecu will not fit a GT8, they use the earlier shaped ecu. If you decide to go down the 6 speed manual route you should be able to get it running without changing the ecu, for a start at least. Likewise with the diff, think the GT8 has a very similar ratio to the manual.

thanks guys, its refreshing to finally have a good chunk of cash ready to put into a project that is worthy.

i have everything lined up as far as parts.. i called C-Red in perth today and got a quote of 2.5k labour and they can help with the parts i havent found + ~$1600 for a performance clutch and flywheel(quoted from there last s15 clutch install).

i know jeff ash from way back when i was on the wa drift committee, saying that he probably will barely remember me and i dont expect a discount, just saying i know they're a reputable company, and know there nissans..

if the cvt 8spd worked, i would keep it, turbo the bitch and call it a day!

but unfortunately it only works in theory. i hope someday nissan gets it right like their german/italian competitors... bcoz when it works, it works lovely!

im sure that it will be quicker in a straight line and most corner situations thatn a manual will ever be.

but, saying that there is no way i am going to spend this kind of cash and got auto again. after driving a v35 sedan with the amazing 6spd 350z box a few weeks back and coming from the perfect short throw of a 13b series 4 turbo gearbox... im sold.

as the car is even with open wheel spins, it drifts quite nice in the wet.. feels like a falcon in the dry single wheeling. and im actually really amazed at how the handling and stiffness is considering its got a ride height comparable to a 4wd lol!

c-red are confident they can use the stock gt-8 ecu and get it working, also they can do the scan tool check on the cvt, even if its a speed sensor or whatever im going thru with it..

+ use stock airflow meter, which i was told i need a different one from someone.

the budget.. ~6,000 + i can get FREE freight to and from anywhere in Australia coz i know a guy! :nyaanyaa:

6pd box w/out shifter - 1k

C-red conversion/ labor - 2.5k

Clutch + flywheel - 1.6k

350z halfcut parts thru option 1 garage <1k

^^clutch master/ slave cylinders, steering column, pedal kit, handbrake assembly, most of console

not quite sure about the speedo cluster yet but i dont mind using the gt8 one unless there are all error lights up i guess, easy to find though.

then there's the tail/drive shafts which is the main thing im unsure about at this point - whether or not i can use the stock one, a 350z one, or i will need v35 manual sedan/coupe parts.

i measured the gt8 ones and they're 82cm(front) & 69cm(rear) - so if anyone has there car on a hoist or can check their 350z or manual coupe it will be handy

im happy sticking with the stock open wheel diff untill i get a quaife lsd, as it seems the best option as opposed to the stock v35/350z viscous lsd which will eventually wear out and open wheel anyways....

if i can source a quaife lsd and find out about the tail/drive shafts and can fit it around the budget, i will look into installing at the same time as gearbox.

finally if i have change i'll hook up some coilovers, but i have king springs from the previous owner not installed i'll throw in anyways till i can afford a proper option.

there we have it, any info or insight anybody can help out on is greatly appreciated, or anything i have forgot etc...

if all goes to plan the project should be complete within a month or a few weeks!

cheers,

seb :thumbsup: