SAU Community

R32 Gtr Front Uprights/dog Legs To Suit 280Mm Wide 18X11" Rim

OLLIE_NZ

Hi guys,

As per the title I'm trying to get around the rubbing issue of running a 265mm - 280mm wide slick with the stock Nissan R32 GTR front uprights/dog legs/goosenecks (whatever you want to call them :) )

We're moving up to an 18x10.5" and or 18x11" Enkei RPF1 or TE37 SL rim and want to run either a Dunlop or Michelin slick to suit.

Are there any companies out there that make these to accommodate a wider rim?

I've done a bit of searching so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Ollie.

Hi guys,

As per the title I'm trying to get around the rubbing issue of running a 265mm - 280mm wide slick with the stock Nissan R32 GTR front uprights/dog legs/goosenecks (whatever you want to call them :) )

We're moving up to an 18x10.5" and or 18x11" Enkei RPF1 or TE37 SL rim and want to run either a Dunlop or Michelin slick to suit.

Are there any companies out there that make these to accommodate a wider rim?

I've done a bit of searching so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Ollie.

Hi Ollie,

I've recently ran a 285/30/18 on a 18x10+20 with no issues whatsoever. The offset is the key I think.

My car is not overly low though so it's no real issue with the guards rubbing as it may be with a very low car.

JB

I have a GTSt so not sure if uprights are the same...

I'm running 265/35/18 RE55 and AO50 tyres and they are quite close with a 18x10.5 +15 TE37 SL. With that tyre size I've had to run a 10mm spacer to clear.

Reading Johns post above maybe they are different?

No aftermarket item available that I'm aware of. If there was I would be very interested. I even looked into modifying the standard ones but was advised not to by an engineer due to the steel make up that would be used in automotive parts. In the end I decided a well machined 10mm slip on and longer wheel studs was the easiest and safest solution.

• 7 months later...

Ok thread revival time.

Along the lines of the theme above... I want to fit some wider than normal wheels and tyres to my R33 GTR. The idea was to use 315/30/18 or 335/30/18 tyres if at all possible which would need a 12" wide rim.

Question is... has anyone tried to fit or ran with a 18 x 12 rim on their R33 GTR front and/or rear??? And with what offset or guard modifications.

Ideally I would like to have the same all around, but can step down to 11.5" on the front.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there is a guy that I have been in contact with who has run 305's with 18x11 rims, 315 would be good as I am pretty sure that is what the Porsches use a lot which gives a lot of different tyre choices.

I think 18x11.5 with 0 offset would fit and clear the suspension but would require +40-50mm wider guards with 315's.

bigmikespec, could you give more details? I am in the same boat. Will be running 18x11 and prefer to have an upright to accommodate this rather than using a spacer. Any chance of a group buy? :yes:

• 8 months later...

Strut front end conversion won't help with what they are wanting to acheive.

Everyone wants to run a wider front tire 11inch + but physically can't because the upright fouls on the rim/tire and the guards just won't stretch that far nor would you want to increase the track by that much

I tried modified uprights but they just weren't strong enough and gave all sorts of weird leverage ratios that messed up the the spring rates etc.

The problem is they need to travel so far inboard to clear big rims it creates a ( type shape that can't be gusseted against compression well enough.

Now converting cars to a proper wishbone front suspension and able to run any rim you want as the arms fit inside the wheel.

Using available supercar parts from the likes of racer industries and 888 means replacement parts should they break are always available.

A custom upright is always going to be a hassle to replicate as well.

I also doubt that car in the photo ended up with a strut front end.

I'd say he was using that shaft to locate the upright while he fabricated the lower arms.

The geometry of the lower arms on the car doesn't look like it was designed for a mac strut setup.

• 7 years later...