SAU Community

Mystery Smoke/vapor

Jenius

Hi,

I have a BNR32 GTR and I was wondering if anyone has seen this before.

For the past year of driving. I've noticed after driving on the highway for a little while, a light/medium amount of smoke/vapor starts pouring out of my gearbox boot.

It's completely odourless and I've been worried it might be a seal or that the gearbox is on its way out. There's nothing wrong with the gearbox in terms of feel and it shifts just fine. But it tends to worry the passengers as it appears something is burning lol.

I am having issues with my speedo at the moment where it occasionally shows exaggerated speeds. So I'm wondering if this relates.

That just means the shifter to gearbox boot is stuffed. When you're in 5th the stretch opens it up. Its common issue. I dont know if you can replace the boot without replacing the whole shifter (cant see how you would get a new one on). I spent ~$260 on a 10% nismo short shifter which of course had a new boot. The 10% is hardly noticeable...

Cool thanks for that guys. I figured that would've been it too. And your right it was mainly happening in 5th gear.

Its also tempted me to pick up a short shifter now. :happy: